PDA

View Full Version : vista running at 100% CPU

Morgenmuffel
01-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Hmmm any useful suggestion, i have found lots of solutions the only issue is that no two solutions seem to be the same

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Is it up to date with updates??

Might have to wait for SP1 to come out.

dugimodo
01-11-2007, 03:47 PM
first open task manager and see what programs are using the cpu, then maybe we can help.

You can start task manager in vista by right clicking the task bar and selecting task manager from the menu. If you then click on the top of the column which shows cpu usage you can sort the items by how much cpu they are using.

Is this all the time or just now and then?

Morgenmuffel
01-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Is it up to date with updates??

Might have to wait for SP1 to come out.

Yep completely up to date

first open task manager and see what programs are using the cpu, then maybe we can help.

You can start task manager in vista by right clicking the task bar and selecting task manager from the menu. If you then click on the top of the column which shows cpu usage you can sort the items by how much cpu they are using.

Is this all the time or just now and then?

I'm not on the machine right now but I did check all that stuff earlier thats how I found it was using 100% svchost seemed to be using a lot, but thats pretty generic, and it didn't seem to be using it all the time, but the graph neber changed it was 100% all the time

I will have to do more checking tomorrow to answer your second question

Thanks for the answers

somebody
01-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Is this a new installation of Vista? If so, it could take a few days to settle down while Vista goes through and indexes everything.

Morgenmuffel
02-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah i did think of that but i can't figure out how to check the progress of my indexes

It seems to be working fine this morning,

zcc
02-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Did you install google desktop? Then it will HOG everything for a long time while it builds indexes too.

How many indexes does one need?
Answer = None

Morgenmuffel
02-11-2007, 03:08 PM
No i didn't install google desktop, just using the standard MS index which i do want running

somebody
02-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Control Panel - Classic View - Indexing Options

Morgenmuffel
02-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Control Panel - Classic View - Indexing Options

Cheers somebody, it was complete although i have now added another drive to it so it's working away quietly in the background

Zygar
03-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Vista will quite happily use any resources that you aren't using, and will also happily give them back as soon as you need them - don't be alarmed if it occasionally uses 100% CPU while idle, as it will scale right back when you go to do something. Same goes with the memory usage and SuperFetch.

Now, if it's using 100% CPU while you're in the middle of doing something, that could be indicative of a problem, some kind of dodgy service or something.