PDA

View Full Version : Acer seems nearly dead

GaryW
01-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi
I have an Acer Aspire (bought beginning 2006) which was going fine until I sent it home by courier. Now when I try to start it all it does is beep once then after about three seconds it beeps again. It just keep doing this, Nothing else. Any ideas what this beeping means and how I can fix it???

wratterus
01-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Check the RAM is seated in properly.

GaryW
01-11-2007, 01:35 PM
I have tried that. I even bought a new stick of RAM and tried that. Any other Ideas PLEASE:illogical
I am sure (Hoping) it is something easily fixed!

Trev
01-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Just check everything is plugged in etc. Something may have come lose during transit.
:)

GaryW
01-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Is this beeping the code for Memory Error? What bios do the acer aspire have?

stormdragon
01-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Whats the model number?

wainuitech
01-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Dont Know if this is of any help - if you can find the make of BIOS, try Here BIOS codes (http://bioscentral.com/postcodes/acerbios.htm) on the top right is different models of BIOS along with their Beep Meaning.

Also is the CPU / heatsink and Graphic Card ( if it has one) seated correctly

GaryW
01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
The model is Acer Aspire T135. It has ati 9200 agp graphics card, 512 RAM, AMD Sempron 3100+ CPU. It was going when sent by courier from Nelson and not going when it arrived in Wellington.:badpc:

wainuitech
01-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Wont be of much help, but according to Acer specs the BIOS is R02 - A4 or B4 if you wanted a flash for the BIOS thats easy to find :D

looking at the site provided above every thing points to the RAM.

Repeating (endless loop) Memory error Check for improperly seated or missing memory.

What I suggest is remove the RAM and then replace it, do the same with the Graphic Card, blow out any dust/dirt thats in the slots.

Check all power cables and data leads are secure - check the CPU / heatsink has come lose or unseated.

Is there any sign of damage / drop marks/ scuffs etc on the packaging while it was shipped.

GaryW
01-11-2007, 08:30 PM
No signs of damage on the packaging at all. I'll get onto reseating Ram and video card and checking ALL cables. Thanks for the advice GUYS!:eek:

GaryW
13-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Well I checked memory and video card were setaed correctly. I even bought a new stick of RAM. Still getting the beep. Anybody got any ideas on what else I can try?

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Looks like this is a common prob with this model (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Acer+Aspire+T135+beeps&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Does the power LED flash as well?

What kind of hdd is in it? IDE or SATA?

wainuitech
13-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Thinking back through the Old gray Matter :lol: I remember a customers Acer PC giving similar problems last year - it would run OK some times but mostly would beep on startup then thats it. All the Beeps said RAM problem but wasn't.

In the end I changed the Power Supply and it has been fine since.

Do you have access to another power supply to test this ? The Acer PSU's dont appear to be to good some times.

GaryW
13-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Yes the power led does flash and the DVD drive tries to power up. It has a SATA hard-drive. IDE DVD drive.:badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Could be the PSU then. Try another PSU.

Or try another hdd cable.

HOW is the power to the SATA connected??

With a molex adapter or a SATA connector straight from the PSU??

GaryW
13-11-2007, 12:28 PM
SATA connected straight to P/S. So a new SATA cable might be the first thing I should try? then another P/S?

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Yup.

GaryW
14-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Swapped power supply and put in a new SATA cable. Still beeps. The F&*$#@ thing is not nearly dead, I think it is really dead. It seems strange that it was going fine until I sent it home by courier. any more ideas other than new motherboard???
HELP

GaryW
14-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Ok used another power supply 2 new graphics cards different stick of ram everything, could it be the motherboard or cpu

wainuitech
14-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Have you checked the keyboard and mouse are actually functioning, the beeps "may" also be one of them is not detecting.

You could try taking the MB out of the case, put it on the bench, connect only following
Power Supply
RAM
Graphic Card ( unless it also has onboard Graphics)
CPU/Heatsink etc
keyboard /Mouse & HD
Monitor
Locate the two pins that are connected to the start button, CAREFULLY short them by touching with a small screwdriver, the Board will boot, See if it still gets the beep beep etc. If it does, then the board may be damaged some how.

The reason for removing the MB from the case is just in case the PC got a jolt in transit, and the board moved slightly and is shorting on the risers. If it Does boot OK reassemble the PC.

GaryW
14-11-2007, 08:58 PM
It lives!!!
The CPU was not in its slot. It was just being held in place by the heat sink.:eek: I suppose I am luck that the CPU was not damaged. Everything SEEMS to be working and no more beeps.:thumbs:

wainuitech
14-11-2007, 09:27 PM
It lives!!!
The CPU was not in its slot. It was just being held in place by the heat sink.:eek: I suppose I am luck that the CPU was not damaged. Everything SEEMS to be working and no more beeps.:thumbs:
:thumbs: Must have got jolted around in transit then. Good its going again.