PDA

View Full Version : Vista - complete Backup

Morgenmuffel
01-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Ok i have Vista Ultimate and it comes with the Windows Complete PC backup utility, but i can't seem to find a lot of information on it

Specifically what i want to know is

Does it tell you how much space the backup will require before you start running the actual backup
There were reports that there were issues if the "new" drive you were restoring a backup to was bigger than the original, is that actually an issue?
A good forum/wiki about it, as most of the sites I have found a re a little spartenyjsmld

somebody
01-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I have used it a couple of times before and it was reasonably fast (creating a backup). However, I've never restored one so not too sure how well that works. In terms of backup file size, it is slightly smaller than what the files on your HDD actually take up, due to compression, but I don't recall it telling me what the size would be in advance. I think it'd be difficult for any application to accurately predict this sort of thing.

Morgenmuffel
01-11-2007, 01:14 PM
I have in the past used Acronis true image, which told me in advance roughly how big the resultant file would be and gave me compression options so that file could be even smaller

Morgenmuffel
01-11-2007, 01:26 PM
And another question does it ignore the pagefile (1.5Gb) and the hybernation file(1.7Gb)

somebody
01-11-2007, 05:31 PM
And another question does it ignore the pagefile (1.5Gb) and the hybernation file(1.7Gb)

If I remember correctly, yes it does - but it was January when I last tried it.

Morgenmuffel
01-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks for that

Morgenmuffel
22-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Ok i'm back

Is there a way to make it back up only the vista system partition,

I tried running it the other day and it wanted to back-up the Vista partition and my XP partition as it recognised both of them as system partitions, but it didn't give me the choice to deselect the xp partition,

As the XP partition is on a separate harddrive, i can disconnect the harddrive, however i would prefer not to have to do that

any help greatly appreciated