PDA

View Full Version : IDE issues!

Damz
01-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi guys,

Well im building 2 more PC's for workmates of mine, and all of a sudden I hit a brick wall..!!

Iv ordered 1x 250GB IDE HDD, and 1x DVD-RW IDE drive, thats fine, but heres the problem. The motherboard only has 1 IDE plug..! Now this is only my 2nd build, and IDE is all new to me seeing as my pc was all sata..

How do the ribbons work, can I hook both drives up on one ribbon?

Heres the motherboard in question, ASUS M2N-MX SE (http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards/asus-m2n-mx-se/4507-3049_7-32471495.html?tag=sub)

Actually while iv got your attention, could you please tell me, since this mobo has onboard graphics, is there any point using a graphics card? This is the one I have bought for them, ASUS EN8400GS (http://www.xspo.co.uk/product.php?pid=5371)

Thanks alot!! :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2007, 07:46 AM
You can put both hdds on 1 cable. BUT not the burner.

I would take them back and get SATA hdd's.

Or buy a SATA burner.

Depends if you want to play games. Most mobos with onboard video are crap.

autechre
01-11-2007, 08:11 AM
How do the ribbons work, can I hook both drives up on one ribbon?

Yes you can have the HDD & DVD drive on the same ribbon, although burning DVDs may be affected at high speeds. Just set the HDD to master & DVD to slave.

You'd be better off getting all SATA drives as they're easier to set up and use smaller cables for better airflow in the case.

somebody
01-11-2007, 08:19 AM
As autechre said, you can hook both up onto one IDE cable, with the hard drive set to "Master" and the burner set to "Slave. It will work, however you may find some performance issues as a result of both sharing that same channel.

wainuitech
01-11-2007, 08:22 AM
The other problem having the two drives, HD and optical on the one IDE is sometimes the IDE cable is not long enough to reach the Optical drive/HD/Motherboard, this happens if you have a full tower case sometimes, so you may have to purchase a longer IDE cable.

Speedys suggestion about changing the Drives to SATA is the better choice, that way you shouldn't have to many troubles in the future.

pctek
01-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Well im building 2 more PC's for workmates of mine,

Iv ordered 1 IDE HDD,The motherboard only has 1 IDE plug..! IDE is all new to me seeing as my pc was all sata..

Actually while iv got your attention, could you please tell me, since this mobo has onboard graphics, is there any point using a graphics card?

If you didn't check this out before ordering the parts what the hell makes you think you should be building PCs?
Its basic stuff.

And if you have no idea whether or not onboard versus separate graphics matters then even worse.

It all depends on what these poor suckers that hired you want to do with the PC.

Bantu
01-11-2007, 12:24 PM
If your not wanting to spend much maybe get a PCI controller card with a couple more IDE slots. Likes of Promise make them, you might pick an old one up off trademe.

A Promise ATA133 controller card would allow for 4 more IDE devices.

As far as the burner on the same cable as a HDD I have never had any problems with burning. I have a mix of IDE and Sata drives on this and I have both a cd-rom and a dvd burner both slaving to two ide hdd's they work fine.

I have both a Promise ATA133 card (4 IDE Devices) and a Promise SATA card (4 Sata HDD's) on this PC.

Damz
01-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Wow. Thanks to everybody for all your replies.

I think I might swap the dvd drive for a sata then, last thing I want to do is compromise the performance of the machine.

And pctek, bloody hell? No I didnt check it out before I ordered, I overlooked it. Like I said in the first half of my first post, this is only my second build. And I made a mistake, which I will definately learn from. Sure, it might be "basic" to someone like yourself with plenty of knowledge and experience, but I'm learning. And I do believe the subtitle of this forum was "Ask for help with your PC problems and discuss technical issues", which is what I did?

And the graphics card thing, I asked that because the graphics card isnt exactly an 8800gtx, so wondered if it was still worth using it. However Speedy effortlessly gave me that answer. Much appreciated!

Didnt think I'd need my flame suit for this one.. We all have to start somewhere!!!!!

SolMiester
01-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Yes you can have the HDD & DVD drive on the same ribbon, although burning DVDs may be affected at high speeds. Just set the HDD to master & DVD to slave.

You'd be better off getting all SATA drives as they're easier to set up and use smaller cables for better airflow in the case.

Other way around, the cutter to master!

johnd
01-11-2007, 08:14 PM
It all depends on what these poor suckers that hired you want to do with the PC.

People have to start somewhere - you are being a bit obnoxious - sounds like you want the business and you are the only one capable of doing it!

pctek
02-11-2007, 08:31 AM
People have to start somewhere

Yes they do.
They either practise on their own PCs or get some work experience with someone.

Not practise on other peoples hardware.

Damz
02-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Yes they do.
They either practise on their own PCs or get some work experience with someone.

Not practise on other peoples hardware.

Wow, your still going on, and on?

I did practise on my own one. I built it, with some help from the folks here, and a few tutorials I found online.

So who's to say I cant build 2 more successfully? Every journey has its bumps, just a pity your there to point and laugh. Get a life..

george12
02-11-2007, 02:57 PM
If you didn't check this out before ordering the parts what the hell makes you think you should be building PCs?
Its basic stuff.

And if you have no idea whether or not onboard versus separate graphics matters then even worse.

You're being way too harsh. Damz is keen to learn about building PCs and that's great. Skill comes with practice, and Damz is probably like most people and unable to afford to build themselves a new PC every week just to learn.

How many computers had you built purely for yourself when you built the first one for someone else (I'm probably shooting myself in the foot here :D)?

The_End_Of_Reality
02-11-2007, 07:36 PM
How many computers had you built purely for yourself when you built the first one for someone else (I'm probably shooting myself in the foot here :D)? I will just say I built myself one and then I built someone else one :p so yes, you did shoot yourself here :p

But yes, everyone must start somewhere, but I would suggest with old PCs first, pulling them apart and rebuilding them, getting them going etc before moving onto new stuff :2cents:

pctek
02-11-2007, 09:28 PM
You're being way too harsh. Skill comes with practice.

How many computers had you built purely for yourself when you built the first one for someone else

Maybe I am. But I've seen too many screwups by "helpful friend of neighbours cousins brother in law".

I messed about with my own various PCs for ages before I built one for someone else. And I went and worked for various places getting more experience too before going it alone.

And it isn't that hard to check out a MB before ordering bits to attach to it. The MB is farly importnat and I always look at its specs first.

Which is how I noticed a lot of the newer intel based ones don't have a PS2 mouse port on them anymore.

george12
02-11-2007, 11:43 PM
I will just say I built myself one and then I built someone else one :p so yes, you did shoot yourself here :p

No, that's the answer I was expecting and hoping for. Shooting myself in the foot would be pctek saying that she has built 20 computers for herself before dreaming of handling other people's gear, which wouldn't have surprised me too much :p.

But yes, everyone must start somewhere, but I would suggest with old PCs first, pulling them apart and rebuilding them, getting them going etc before moving onto new stuff :2cents:

I think Damz is just very keen to get into it all, and especially as I myself started selling computers as a business (and making a few mistakes along the way) when I was 14, I'm all for that.

People could have told me that I "might make a mistake" and shouldn't be handling other people's money and computers with my experience level, but nobody did, because they know that if that happened I'd be the one bearing the cost.

Of course, I make sure that whenever I make a mistake (doesn't happen too much now) it's at my expense, not a customer's, and I'm sure that Damz will do the same with his/her (which is it Damz?) friend's new PC if something goes wrong. And so, no real harm can be done.

Maybe I am. But I've seen too many screwups by "helpful friend of neighbours cousins brother in law".

I messed about with my own various PCs for ages before I built one for someone else. And I went and worked for various places getting more experience too before going it alone.

And it isn't that hard to check out a MB before ordering bits to attach to it. The MB is farly importnat and I always look at its specs first.

Which is how I noticed a lot of the newer intel based ones don't have a PS2 mouse port on them anymore.

But as I said, the helpful friend shouldn't be told off for trying to learn how to build PCs. In the hypothetical situation that they stuff up and come to you for help, they learn something, you make some money, and no harm is done.

It's not obvious to everybody that modern motherboards don't usually have two IDE ports. For the last 10+ years they have always had two. The best way to learn is through experience IMO.

Damz
03-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Thank you george, nice to see that not everyone thinks Im crazy!

And for the record, if I did make a mistake that damaged a component, of course it would be at my expense!! Not that Iv discussed that with people Im making them for, it just goes without saying.

And as far as I can see, Im doing it right anyway! Asking for help for this particular issue from some very knowlegable people on this forum. As opposed to just hooking up the HDD and DVD drive on the one cable and "seeing what happens!"

Oh, and, Damz = Damian = He!! :nerd:

gary67
04-11-2007, 09:29 AM
It's good to see someone trying hard to learn as I am myself, and it's not always easy to find someone to employ a beginner, I have done a Diploma that incorporated building computers and I can't get a job here in Nelson with any of the companies so am just doing the occasional build and upgrade for friends. And yes I have made mistakes too and paid for them, don't be put off Damz.

Pete O'Neil
04-11-2007, 09:44 AM
I agree with PCTek i don't think you should be building computer for other people Damz if your making such basic mistakes, IDE hasn't exactly been interface of choice for a long time now. Motherboards have only been coming with one IDE port for a long time its nothing new, any decent PC assembler would be aware of this. If you haven't got the skills then you should get out of the game. Return the DVD-RW as well and get a sata one, minimal price difference and it far more future proof.

pctek
04-11-2007, 11:09 AM
it's not always easy to find someone to employ a beginner, I have done a Diploma that incorporated building computers and I can't get a job here in Nelson

Try asking for unpaid work experience first.
Doesn't have to be full time.
Its all good for your CV.

Damz
04-11-2007, 01:55 PM
I agree with PCTek i don't think you should be building computer for other people Damz if your making such basic mistakes

Ah, mistake. Not multiple, just one.

I cant believe it? I admitted 3 times that I made that mistake, and still your all going on about it. I asked a simple question, to which I got great, and simple answers. And now the thread turns into a debate over whether im capable of building computers??

One mistake, and you kill a guy. Would hate to live with you..

wainuitech
04-11-2007, 02:16 PM
One mistake, and you kill a guy. Would hate to live with you..

Things do appear to get out of hand here sometimes, but thats no excuse for people jumping on you for asking a question. I think what some of the answers were referring to is build PC's for others that you then charge for.

Now while every one has to learn some how, pctek also put in a very good suggestion.
Try asking for unpaid work experience first.
Doesn't have to be full time.
Its all good for your CV.

At the end of the day if you want to get into this business you do need to get some experiance from someplace and it is hard to find a firm that takes on Beginners (no Offence meant). Practical experiance will usually win hands down over paper Qualifications any day. While having Qualifications is good, if you want to fix PC's then having a bit of paper saying you can means nothing- actually being able to do it is what counts.

I have had people with impressive Qualifications approach me and ask for a job, I gave them a simple fault to fix in a PC - didn't know where to start- no use to me as I dont have time to teach.

My own personal advice ( and someones bound to disagree:p ) is this.

By all means practice on PC's - only way to learn, but what you can do is ask friends, neighbours, friends of friends, people in the business ( you get the picture) if they know anyone who has old PC's you can "Play with".

Meaning when people replace the PC's for what ever reason, see if you can get hold of them and then fix them. If its software - look on the net or ask here, if its hardware- the same. That way you learn and soon you will have more knowledge.

One important thing many people seem to forget - they once knew very little, and experiance over time makes them better.

No Need to jump on people for asking a question in a help Forum - thats what its for.

All the best for you Damz. :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2007, 02:30 PM
By all means practice on PC's - only way to learn, but what you can do is ask friends, neighbours, friends of friends, people in the business ( you get the picture) if they know anyone who has old PC's you can "Play with".

Most of my ex workmates USED to ring me, (mostly from Manukau / Sth Auckland, and Nth Shore), some more often than others.

One of them (being on BB, used to get spyware / malware often). And she would ring me often to fix it.

BUT one time she couldnt afford to pay me, so didnt ring me lol. That was fine.

So instead of ringing me, to see if I could fix it, she decided to BUY another computer, (because the old PC was riddled with malware).

And you guessed it, less than a mth after, the new PC was riddled with malware. I dont think thats been fixed either yet.

So, I dont know whats she's doing now, or whether she's on the net.

BUT if she is, she's most probably getting hacked.

Damz
04-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Sorry, I didnt mean to offend anybody. But the bad attitudes got me going..

And for the record, Im doing this for nothing, theyre paying for parts and thats it. Experience is all Im getting out of the deal.

wainuitech
04-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Sorry, I didnt mean to offend anybody. But the bad attitudes got me going..

And for the record, Im doing this for nothing, theyre paying for parts and thats it. Experience is all Im getting out of the deal.

Don't think you actually offended any one, all you did was ask a question to something you didn't know - thats what the help forums are for.

Where you say you're getting Experience - good on ya! you now know the answer if it ever comes your way again.

Keep up the learning :thumbs:

Just remember NO ONE knows every thing, some think they might but they don't.

The amount of customers who I have been to that say " I got a friend who knows every thing about computers but he cant fix it" ---

I would love to reply - "and Why are you calling me then"?:D

Laura
04-11-2007, 05:05 PM
And on a different subject entirely...

Perhaps this is a good time to point out some confusion about your forum name, Damian?

(Well, I've been confused, anyway. Don't know about other members)

You wouldn't have known when you joined 6 weeks ago that we already have a Dannz here - and the computerised enrolment system obviously isn't geared to cope with single-letter variations.

He is Daniel (Napier) and has been a member since before this incarnation of PF1.
Since December 2004, he's made 1925 posts and is currently active.
He also repairs PCs, according to his profile.

I may not be the only one who finds your name so similar to his that I have to stop & think: "which one is this..?"
Dannz or Damz?

A change of name - even after 72 posts - might be worth considering?
Thoughts on this?

Damz
04-11-2007, 05:29 PM
:lol:

That is one of the funniest things iv read in a while!

I dont mind? But is it that much of a big deal?

The_End_Of_Reality
04-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I may not be the only one who finds your name so similar to his that I have to stop & think: "which one is this..?"
Dannz or Damz? Ha ha ha, you are not, I do as well and then I think but Dannz would not ask that :p

Damz
04-11-2007, 05:50 PM
then I think but Dannz would not ask that :p

:blush:

Haha

How do i change my name? I dont mind at all.. But would rather not have to go through the sign up rigmarole (sp?) again :rolleyes:

The_End_Of_Reality
04-11-2007, 05:58 PM
:blush:

Haha

How do i change my name? I dont mind at all.. But would rather not have to go through the sign up rigmarole (sp?) again :rolleyes: PM Jan Birkeland, he should be able to change it for you.

Damz
04-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Okie dokie

gibler
04-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Heh this is funny. I searched for "sharing IDE cable" and this thread was in the top Google results. :D

I'm actually using the same board at work to replace a system with bad caps. Of course I had spotted the single IDE port and had to shift the CD reader down in the case so it can be on the same IDE cable with the hard drive. I must see if sharing really hammers performance (given the old system had 256 MB and the upgrade has 1 GB).