PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed - Recovering emails

katharinem
31-10-2007, 07:34 PM
I have a similar problem to Gale. I was attempting to back-up emails and ended up with them all (.dbx files) on the desktop. I had found advice on how to back them up but obviously I did not follow the procedure properly. Can't open them at all. All I get when I try to open a folder is a lot of gobblydegook on notepad. Did a System restore to yesterday; still can't open them and all that is left in Outlook Express are the basic folders which are all empty. Still have unopenable .dbx files on desktop. Help please!

Greven
31-10-2007, 07:43 PM
you have to go into outlook express & use the import function. File --> Import --> Messages

Select OE store folder then browse to the dbx files.

wainuitech
31-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Make a folder someplace, desktop is good, call it something like mail (original eh!) :D

Fastest way is to open outlook Express, tools > Options>Maintance Tab> Store Folder Button, then copy the whole location, Close Outlook Express then click Start/ run, paste in the location, press Enter - and theres your dbx folder ctrl + a ( select all) then copy to the folder you made before.

Then another way to export the .dbx files is search for *.dbx, select Hidden files and folders, should look like This (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Search_DBX.jpg) then right click any of the results and select " Open Containing folder", this will open the .dbx folder, then ctrl+ a then copy to desktop folder you created.

Importing the saved dbx files:

Then to restore / import as Greven said "File --> Import --> Messages" from the folder on the desktop.

From Outlook Express -----
The exact path is: File>Import>Messages>Microsoft Outlook Express 6 > Import Mail from OE6 Store Directory(Radio button)> Browse to folder you created. Click Next.

For safe keeping / back up you can burn the folder to a CD, but to transfer back you first need to copy the folder back to the PC, they normally wont import from a CD.

katharinem
31-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Followed wainuitech's advice and used the exact path as he described (tried with a folder on the desktop and also from USB memory stick) - when I clicked next, the following message appeared -"no messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open. Please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open." The only application open is outlook express and if I close that the import function goes with it. Any ideas?

kjaada
01-11-2007, 05:09 AM
If you get real desperate there is are small apps that allow you to read .dbx fileshttp://www.mailnavigator.com/restore_outlook_express_dbx_files.html is one

wainuitech
01-11-2007, 08:01 AM
What version of outlook express are you using, is it version 6, it normally pops up quickly when you open outlook express or when open click help > about outlook express.

wainuitech
01-11-2007, 08:19 AM
There is also another way that sometimes works, I don't ususally do this unless all else fails.
Make a folder call it something - Original Mail

Copied from above:Open outlook Express, tools > Options>Maintance Tab> Store Folder Button, then copy the whole location, Close Outlook Express then click Start/ run, paste in the location, press Enter - and theres your dbx folder ctrl + a ( select all) Now copy every thing in the folder to the folder you called Original mail. - (This is backing up in case it goes wrong).

Now go to the folder you have the ones you want to import - select them all, reopen the DBX folder and paste them into it, agree to overwrite any files already there close the folder.Open outlook express - If that doesn't show the new mails, then open the DBX folder again, delete every thing and recopy the imported mails, see if that works.

IF after all that, it still doesn't show, you need to open the DBX folder delete every thing, go back to the Original mail folder and copy/paste them back to the DBX folder, this way it will put every thing back the way it was. - Phew!:waughh:

katharinem
01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Great stuff! Thanks so much guys, especially wainuitech - I used your "when all else fails", advice. Such a relief to see all the emails back where they belong. I was about to borrow your hammer!! Will do backup folders and keep them on external storage now for the most important stuff.
Thanks again! This forum is always positively helpful! If you lived closer I'd bake you a cake!
Grateful Granny!