PDA

View Full Version : Spybot trashed in November PCW mag

Greven
30-10-2007, 05:19 PM
My boss was telling me today that the latest PC world mag said Spybot is no good. I find that hard to believe, so I'm going to read the article if I have some down time tomorrow.

Has anybody here read the article & care to comment?

bob_doe_nz
30-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Which version of Spybot was it?
If it's 2007, then yes it stinks worse than old meat.

Metla
30-10-2007, 06:13 PM
care to elaborate?

I thought it was up to version 1.5, never seen a version called 2007.

pine-o-cleen
30-10-2007, 06:21 PM
care to elaborate?

I thought it was up to version 1.5, never seen a version called 2007.
Your just way way behind :P

winmacguy
30-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Looks like there is some interesting stuff in there. They must have taken our suggestions on board. :)

bob_doe_nz
30-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Sorry Metla. I'm thinking of Adaware

Morpheus1
31-10-2007, 08:07 AM
pages 58 & 59 - rated 'poor' :horrified example: 2% compared to 81% for top rated anti-spyware.

Any independent tests that confirm Spybot is nearly worthless compared to other programs?

wainuitech
31-10-2007, 08:21 AM
pages 58 & 59 - rated 'poor' :horrified example: 2% compared to 81% for top rated anti-spyware.

Any independent tests that confirm Spybot is nearly worthless compared to other programs?

Still using spybot and it finds lots - I Used it yesterday on a customers PC located 137 Infections - after reading that article I installed PC tools Spyware Doctor and that only found another 3.
My maths may not be fantastic but that doesn't relate to 2% Compared to 81%:groan:

FoxyMX
31-10-2007, 08:33 AM
I would have thought any test done by PCW was independent. :confused:

Will have to look at that article today but I have always found that it takes several programs to fully clean spyware off a badly infected PC. None of them get everything. Still, 2% for Spybot is a pretty poor result which I find rather difficult to believe.

Incidentally this issue was also mentioned yesterday here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=84255).

PaulD
31-10-2007, 08:57 AM
This is a comment from a security forum on the differences between ranking Antivirus programs and trying to compare Antispyware programs.

"The real answer to your question is that while a lot of sites or individuals claim to perform testing of the type that you are looking for there is really no objective way to rate these products except on such a narrow sample range as to render the rating unusable. The best that we can do is rate them as either legitimate (which does not mean that they are particularly good at what they do) or as rogue (which does mean that they are not). Head to head comparison and ranking is just not possible." http://www.castlecops.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=posting&mode=quote&p=941734

Metla
31-10-2007, 09:05 AM
well, Thats only their opinion that they can't be ranked.

Personally I think they can, they all have different capabilities, But, They should be used on a trashed computer from the public, preferebly with a few nasties that stop the programs dead.

Just have to take an image of it before work starts.

Of course, You might as well just run crap cleaner and HJKthis.

sarel
31-10-2007, 09:47 AM
I installed Windows Defender after the article and did a scan - no surprise, came up clean

sarel

pctek
31-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Sounds like drivel. Besides who cares what some mag says, I evaluate them on how well they perform and for a free product its terrific.

Greven
31-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Sounds like drivel. Besides who cares what some mag says, I evaluate them on how well they perform and for a free product its terrific.

You & I think like that, but it is still disappointing to see a good program get bad press. There are some people that will take that at face value & go buy Spyware Doctor which is almost as slow as Norton.

Faded_Mantis
31-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I run Spybot, Adaware, Windows Defender (not anymore), CCleaner and Hijack this (very occasionally).

Spybot and Adaware are run about once every 2 weeks and find 1-2 files each. Windows defender used to be run often and always came up clean...I've given up on it, the only file it's ever found was when it miss identified a legal game file as spyware. Checked the games forum and alot of people were having that problem with Defender.

And hyjack this is only used when I notice a performance drop (twice)...or when I'm cleaning a friends computer and I get speedy to look at it :P

To answer your question: I've still found spybot to be effective.

Note: Checked the article link, it's version 1.4 I'm using (it still gets library updates), not "2007"

Chilling_Silence
31-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Im yet to receive mine in the mail, but I too find that difficult to believe?

Of course Im going to assume the 'test' system would have been imaged prior to scanning and all software run on the same 'dirty' OS? ;)

...waiting for it to arrive, hopefully tomorrow!

In the mean time, what *was* rated as the winner?

Ninjabear
31-10-2007, 11:55 PM
I deleted aware and got rid of spybot because they didnt catch much spyware

Im using CounterSpy now

Morpheus1
01-11-2007, 06:19 AM
In the mean time, what *was* rated as the winner?

PC Tools Spyware Doctor 5.0 was the winner.

AVG Antispyware 7.5 was also rated highly, second out of the 5 tested. 14 criteria were analyzed - it is too tedious for me to list each criteria but here are a few ratings compared [Spybot / Spyware Doctor 5.0]:

2 / 81
70 / 100
5 / 90
0.4 / 38
60 / 90
0 / 89

The above numbers are all % percentages.

Commentary states that Spybot does offer strong real-time protection.

I installed Spyware Doctor 5.0 yesterday and it found one high risk item, a trojan, but after reading about how it affects a pc, it is inactive on my pc. Forum guides on how to remove it were not simple so I'll leave it as I do not at this stage want to spend $30 USD + another $30 for annual renewals. Hijack This, CCleaner, etc, should be OK.

Also installed AVG AntiSpyware and it found a bunch of cookies - surprisingly most were within zip back up files. AVG's 30 day trial program will remove what it finds (if not in a zip file), unlike Spyware Doctor which finds but does not remove.

wainuitech
01-11-2007, 07:57 AM
You can get PC spyware doctor for free - all legal as well, see This Post (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=84270) number 6. I installed it on a workshop PC and simply went through the settings and altered to whatt I wanted, didn't notice any performance hits so far.

dugimodo
01-11-2007, 11:14 AM
the review was for version 1.4, current version is 1.5 so who knows?

Also if you read the article carefull it seems what Spybot is bad at, Defender is good at and vice versa, so using both seems a good solution.

:2cents:

fnphoto
01-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Maybe Spybot didn't come up with any advertising this month.
I have often noticed with some magazines supplying reviews that good reviews often run hand in hand with 'large' advertisments elsewhere in the publications!

pctek
01-11-2007, 12:59 PM
I deleted aware and got rid of spybot because they didnt catch much spyware

Im using CounterSpy now

:p

I have both.
I still think they're talking rubbish about Spybot.

I used SPybot on the incredibly infected PC I had the other week.
Well, and a few other things.

It did extremely well.

Ninjabear
01-11-2007, 01:20 PM
:p

I have both.
I still think they're talking rubbish about Spybot.

I used SPybot on the incredibly infected PC I had the other week.
Well, and a few other things.

It did extremely well.

Actually correct myself.I got rid of adaware

Spybot detects better than adaware but I use counter spy and it caught malware which both of the software didnt catch

steveroby
01-11-2007, 03:49 PM
All the spyware tests Ive seen in the last year give spybot (& Adaware)
low ratings.
None of these tests state they it doesnt work, it just doesnt allways work that well. So Spybot will find spyware, not necessarily all of it.

But who cares, Spydoctor is a freedownload via Google Pack.(not the full product, but it will scan & clean). It works very well.

Also bear in mind that Full antispyware programs need to prevent, detect & clean.
Just because the do one of these 3 tasks well doesnt mean it performs the
other 2 very well
ie the number of PC's Ive had to clean up where the antispyware PROTECTION didnt stop multiple spyware being downloaded & installed (ie Norton etc) They happily find infections but cant stop the infection.

Things to perhaps consider in a real world comparison
Think about what its finding during scan & where it found them,
eg harmless cookies, temp files, files quarentened by other programs, infections in PST & system restore files, leftover/orphaned files from previous
scans that are no threat by themselves.
The default setting on one program may be in the 'fast scan' mode &
& in the 'thorough, 3 hour scan' mode in another:obviously giving different
results.
Last years excellent spyware scanner may be this years rubbish (company being sold & having little further development or effort put into definition updates)

Erayd
01-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Dare I ask what's up with the poll at the top of this thread?

SolMiester
01-11-2007, 03:59 PM
I have often noticed with some magazines supplying reviews that good reviews often run hand in hand with 'large' advertisments elsewhere in the publications!

QFT

wainuitech
01-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Dare I ask what's up with the poll at the top of this thread?
Good Question - Its a poll you have when not having a poll. As per fnphotoss comment

Maybe the $$$ wasn't paid to PressF1 to allow this poll:lol:

Digby
02-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Yes I often see that Adaware and Spybot are rated low, yet most informal polls on forums reveal that most users use them a lot and rate them highly !

Similarly with AVG anti-virss.

Is it that the other programs are commercial and advertise ?

Regards

Digby

Agent_24
02-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I use Spybot, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, WinDefender, Comodo BoClean, and a-squared.

Have yet to see anything get past

Chilling_Silence
03-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Hehe, I'd hate to think how long that'd take Agent_24 ;)

I'll give Spyware Doc a whirl, see how it goes, cant hurt to test the waters on the dark side for a bit, right? :D

Myth
03-11-2007, 10:06 AM
I trialled Spyware doc for a few months last year on g/f's comp. It seemed quite good, but in the end, what we both got sick of, was the fact it took forever to load (on a single core system). Got rid of it in the end. Now I don't think she runs an anti-spyware. Just AV and firewall. If it needs a clean, I just install whatever takes my fancy on the day and run that (usually trial versions)

Agent_24
03-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Hehe, I'd hate to think how long that'd take Agent_24 ;)

I'll give Spyware Doc a whirl, see how it goes, cant hurt to test the waters on the dark side for a bit, right? :D

Defender, SpywareGuard and BoClean are the only active resident protection, all are very minimal on resource use, especially SG.. spywareblaster works by blacklisting sites/cookies, nothing runs in the background, same with Spybot, and since when it's scanning it only looks for stuff it knows about, also pretty fast

Defender is pretty fast to scan as it only inspects files that could be suspicious, .exe etc

Slowest is A-squared which does everything just like AV but is great for picking up stuff that might be hiding. I don't use it as often as the others though, and usually don't need to as almost everything is blocked by the other programs anyway

SurferJoe46
03-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Even if Spybot was found to be a little less that it appears, I'd keep it for the tools section it has...and the fact that I like to see the dedication and work involved by the author.

Ones and zeros are where it's at....and anything I can use to keep me and my system clean is good I think.

Besides...the price is good.