PDA

View Full Version : Email messsages

gale
30-10-2007, 11:24 PM
I have made a clean install on a computer using Windows 98SE. Before reformatting the drive I copied all the email boxes with .dbx and .mbx extensions.
Now when I try to import them into Outlook Express I get a message that there are no messages in the boxes.
I know that there are messages, as I can see them by opening them in a word processor.
Any ideas how to access them for import ?
Thanks

FoxyMX
31-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Are you trying to import them from a backup on a CD? If so, the files will be read-only. You need to copy them to a folder on your hard drive first then remove the read-only attribute. They should then be able to be imported.

If this is not your problem then just replace the current DBX and MBX files with your backups. Remove the read-only attribute first though.

gale
31-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Initially I transferred the data by pen drive and later put it on a CD.
Attributes were Read Only on the CD, but transferring to the Hard Drive and changing to Archive did not solve the problem. Neither copy will import.
Do you think that there is a password problem of some sort and if so how do I fix it. Would importing to Wordpad and then saving in a different format help.

wainuitech
31-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Have a look at this post Gale Here, instruction in Numbers 2 & 3 (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=84282) same problem, same answer will work for both. :thumbs:

Post back if any problems.

gale
10-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Thank you I downloaded the program Mail Navigator and it found all the messages. The only problem is that I could not find a way to re-establish the messages into Outlook Express. The solution I came up with was to redirect them with Mail Navigator and then receive them into Outlook Express. A long process, but it worked.
Thanks for your help.