PDA

View Full Version : How to setup virtual machine using virtual PC 2007?

DuyNZ
30-10-2007, 04:11 PM
How can i create and configure virtual machine using virtual PC 2007?
Do i need to create a new partition in my hard drive and setup the window xp first then set up the virtula machine?
Can you please show me step by step with this?

somebody
30-10-2007, 04:15 PM
All you need is to install Virtual PC 2007 onto a pre-existing and working computer. Then you click on "New" and follow the steps. The Virtual Hard Disk resides on your PC as a file (*.vhd), so you don't need to do any fancy partitioning.

Then you can "Start" the virtual machine, and go ahead with installing an operating system on it as though you are doing it on a real PC. Note that you'll need to "Capture" the CD/DVD, by going to CD-Capture Physical D: (or whatever drive letter it is).

Some more info here: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-and-Configure-Virtual-PC-2007-in-Windows-Vista-51767.shtml but it is fairly straightforward.

DuyNZ
30-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Thank you very much. I can run virtual pc now.
But i got a problem when trying to install Ubuntu 7.10. I can't install it. i just show up the black screen and stuck there after the setup finish check ing hardware and something i don't know.
Can you help me with that please?
Do I need to install or update Virtual Machine Audition which i did with Window XP? Caused it run very slow before I install it. If so, how can I do that before install Ubuntu? I try but it doesn't work.

drcspy
31-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Do I need to install or update Virtual Machine Audition which i did with Window XP? Caused it run very slow before I install it. If so, how can I do that before install Ubuntu? I try but it doesn't work.

IT WONT..........you need a bootable version of the unbuntu cd and you need to check the menus along the top of your virtual pc screen then 'capture cd drive' then clik the 'x' at the top right of the virtualpc screen and 'turn off' then restart that virtual pc again .......it'll start and boot using the cd.....then you can run the install

somebody
31-10-2007, 07:32 AM
IT WONT..........you need a bootable version of the unbuntu cd and you need to check the menus along the top of your virtual pc screen then 'capture cd drive' then clik the 'x' at the top right of the virtualpc screen and 'turn off' then restart that virtual pc again .......it'll start and boot using the cd.....then you can run the install

I think that's exactly what DuyNZ is doing.

You cannot install Virtual Machine Additions on a linux virtual machine, as they are not supported. I'd suspect that Ubuntu is refusing to play nice with the virtual machine - I've had issues with it in the past. Try this guide, and see how you get on: http://arcanecode.wordpress.com/2007/10/18/installing-ubuntu-710-under-virtual-pc-2007/

Chilling_Silence
31-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Ubuntu wont work under VirtualPC from what I've tried of 7.10...

Apparently with a wee bit of tweaking though it *is* possible... :-/

DuyNZ
31-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Thank you very much for that. I will try it. Hope it works correctly.
Do you think the virtual PC can also run Mac OX as well? Because my laptop run Intel Pentium Dual Core.

somebody
31-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Thank you very much for that. I will try it. Hope it works correctly.
Do you think the virtual PC can also run Mac OX as well? Because my laptop run Intel Pentium Dual Core.

Running MacOSX on non-Apple hardware generally requires some workarounds and modifications - it's not something that is particularly easy to do, but you're welcome to try it. It is certainly not encouraged by Apple in any way, shape, or form.

DuyNZ
31-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Ok, I will try but I have to get MacOSX first. Anyway, thank you for your advice

DuyNZ
31-10-2007, 03:55 PM
I think that's exactly what DuyNZ is doing.

You cannot install Virtual Machine Additions on a linux virtual machine, as they are not supported. I'd suspect that Ubuntu is refusing to play nice with the virtual machine - I've had issues with it in the past. Try this guide, and see how you get on: http://arcanecode.wordpress.com/2007/10/18/installing-ubuntu-710-under-virtual-pc-2007/

I found a problem when i try to install the Ubuntu 7.10
i chose "start ubuntu in the safe graphic mode" but when i get to the screen to choose install, I can't move the mouse pointer. I tried to double click on the virtual pc as it did work when I use XP but it doesn't work on Ubuntu. I tried to use direction keys as well but I still doesn't work. Do you have any idea with it?

somebody
31-10-2007, 04:03 PM
I found a problem when i try to install the Ubuntu 7.10
i chose "start ubuntu in the safe graphic mode" but when i get to the screen to choose install, I can't move the mouse pointer. I tried to double click on the virtual pc as it did work when I use XP but it doesn't work on Ubuntu. I tried to use direction keys as well but I still doesn't work. Do you have any idea with it?

Try a different Virtualisation product: VirtualBox is quite good (except on Vista, it's really crashy).

sal
31-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Installing Ubuntu within VPC 2007 is pretty tricky.

There's a good few tips on getting it working (this page (http://arcanecode.wordpress.com/2007/02/26/installing-ubuntu-610-on-virtual-pc-2007-step-by-step/) the better of the lot) but I had to try a combination of different tips to get Ubuntu installed. Google for vpc2007 and Ubuntu, you'll come across said tips.

Also, installing OS X as a VPC is a bad idea. Not only from a legal point of view but even if it is possible using one the patched images of OS X (I'm guessing its not since OS X is crafted for specific hardware setups, a virtualised environment is probably not one of them), your gonna have an almost useless install of it.

DuyNZ
01-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Try a different Virtualisation product: VirtualBox is quite good (except on Vista, it's really crashy).

Thank you so much. I can run ubuntu now but it only run in 800 x 600 resolution. I tried to use change resolution in Ubuntu but 800 x 600 is max. Is there another way to change it? And once more thing, I also tried to install Guest audition but is say I need to run it as administrator privilege. How can i do that?