PDA

View Full Version : Error's

EviLClouD
30-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey guys, i'm new here and was just wondering if someone could please help me. I've just received error event id's 9,11 and warning event id's 51. They seem to have appeared a couple of weeks after installing a new hard drive. This is the second time it's happened. The first time, the computer technician 'replaced' the hard drive for me and it was going good for a couple of weeks until yesterday, when it reappeared again. Could someone please tell me what the cause of these problems are and what solutions there are available? If you need to know any more infomation, just let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

Enclosed is a screenshot.
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9476/screenshotsh1.gif

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Whats the brand/model of the hdd?

And what kind of system is it?? HP what?

This could be whats causing the event id 11 error (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262448)

Are you running hdds in RAID??

If you double click on the 9 and 11 errors, does it say this ? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314093)

Here's some info about event id: 51 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244780)

Also WHAT kind of IDE cable are you using?? Has it got a blue connector on one end (and is it going to the mobo connection)?

And what version of Windows is on it?? If XP, is SP1 or SP2 installed?

EviLClouD
30-10-2007, 05:22 PM
The hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar SE 16 500GB hard drive, model WDC WD5000AAKS-65TMA0 to be exact. This hard drive was installed as the primary drive, and my old drive has now become a secondary storage drive.

It's an HP Pavilion t660a computer.

I don't think the hard drives are in RAID. Old one is IDE drive and I believe the new one is a SATA drive.

With regards to the error 9 and 11, it does say that, but there's two different items for the errors.
Error 9 says : The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout period.
Error 11 says : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D.

I'm not sure about the IDE cable, i'll check it in a sec.

Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 is installed.

Thanks

EviLClouD
30-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Ok, just checked the cable. I've got 3 different cables.
One IDE (I think) cable, with 3 black plugs. One goes into the DVD drive, the other goes into the motherboard and the plug in between is empty.
Second is IDE (I think) cable, with 2 black plugs and one blue plug. One black plug plugs into the old IDE drive, second black plug (middle one) is empty and the blue plug is plugged into the motherboard.
The last cable is a small red one which I believe is a SATA cable. One end plugs straight into the new hard drive and the other end goes straight into the motherboard.

EviLClouD
31-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Don't know if this would be any use, but when the error's 'first' appeared on both drives, i believed it was followed by a BSOD or vice versa.

wainuitech
31-10-2007, 09:22 AM
First thing I'd do is disconnect the Second Drive, find out which drive is causing the Problems.

Leave the DVD drive and new Drive alone for the moment.

With the PC off, simply unplug the second drive, from the Drive, the IDE cable can stay attached to the MB, then boot the PC, see if you still get the same errors.

Also , was the Second drive already installed in the PC when you had the Original drive replaced ?

On the Error logs, double click one of the ERRORS in red, as well as one of the Warnings and see what it says, normally it will tell you what drive it is thats causing the problem.

EviLClouD
31-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try it soon.

Well, my PC came with 120GB IDE drive as the single drive in my computer. I bought a new 500GB SATA drive to be use as the boot device (operating system drive) and made the old 120GB IDE drive as a storage only device.

In My Computer there is 3 drives listed under Hard Disk Drives. They are as follow...
HP_PAVILION (C:) <------461GB total size, first partition of new SATA drive
HDD_2 (D:) <--------111GB total size, old IDE drive
HP_RECOVERY (F:) <------4.08GB total size, 2nd partition of new SATA drive
and my CD drive is
DVD/CD-RW Drive (E:)

What i don't get is this...
According to Disk Management, Disk 0 is the D: drive while Disk 1 is the C: and F: drives.
But the errors say this
Error event 5 - A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort3.
Error event 9 - The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout period.
Error event 11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D.
Warning event 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

What drive/s is it really talking about?

Here are some screenshots.
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/567/screenshot3zr1.gif
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8809/screenshot2nm5.gif

Also both 500GB drives that i've had (500GB SATA + replacement 500GB SATA), made this sound when it was idle. Kind of like zzzzzzzzz"ticktick"zzzzzzzzzzz"ticktick"zzzzzz. Pretty much a buzzing sound with ticks inbetween. Is this normal?

Thanks

EviLClouD
31-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Also, turning 'enable write caching' off has removed these errors I believe but I've taken a huge performance hit. I've just turned it on on both drives and found this in System Event Viewer.
After turning write cache on for the 500GB SATA I received this---The driver detected that the device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 has its write cache enabled. Data corruption may occur.
After turning write cache on for the 120GB IDE I received this---The driver detected that the device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has its write cache enabled. Data corruption may occur.

Now that I know drive 0 = IDE and 1 = SATA, is there any solution for this?

Thanks

wainuitech
31-10-2007, 02:41 PM
made this sound when it was idle. Kind of like zzzzzzzzz"ticktick"zzzzzzzzzzz"ticktick"zzzzzz. Pretty much a buzzing sound with ticks inbetween. Is this normal? All Hard Drives make a bit of noise sometimes, but they shouldn't be consistantly buzzing / clicking, unless they are writing data all the time.

Regarding the error messages, did you unplug the original IDE hard Drive and see if the errors stopped ?

If you get the errors with the IDE drive connected, it could be one of several things.
Faulty IDE Cable - change it and see what difference there is
Could be a faulty drive / Drive starting to fail, or bad sectors on the drive, change the drive if able to confirm this
Could also be a faulty IDE connector on the Motherboard.

EviLClouD
01-11-2007, 07:52 AM
As of now it's working, if the problem reappears, i'll try your solution. Thanks.

By the way, could these error's have been caused by a weak power supply?

My system specs are...
Intel Pentium 4, 2.8ghz processor
2 GB DDR Ram
120GB WD IDE Hard drive
500GB WD SATA Hard drive
DVD+R/RW, CD drive
nVidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card
Aswell as the basics, motherboard, mouse, keyboard etc

They're all powered by a 250w 'BESTEC' PSU model ATX-250-12Z

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2007, 08:02 AM