PDA

View Full Version : u3

nerd
29-10-2007, 04:43 PM
i wanted to know if you can download the u3 software from one drive to another because my friend says he mistakely deleted his software when he was formatting it and he wanted me to install it onto his one or can he download it from another site? he has "kingston data traveller" or something

beeswax34
29-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Um, you can only transfer U3 programs to another u3 drive. Does Kingston make them? If they do, they you could have have to find the installation files from your drive and transfer them.

If his is a normal flash drive, then no, he can't run U3 programs. I'm not even sure transferring would work. See if this helps:

"The Launchpad software on a U3 device can be replaced using 3rd party tools, allowing it to Autoplay any software that is able to fit onto the device. This involves creating an ISO image [10] and then transferring the ISO image onto the device, replacing the existing Launchpad files. Universal Customizer is an example of such a tool."

jylan231
29-10-2007, 05:05 PM
i'm not answering your question k i want to no how to like write a problem about your computer:confused: coz my sims 2 is driving me :waughh:

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2007, 05:20 PM
If its got something like the Sandisk U3, it should come up with a menu thing.

Where u can add programs from within it.

nerd
29-10-2007, 05:26 PM
u got to the new thread button at the bottom of the page(not this one) the main page for the fourm

Misty
29-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Whether it is proprietry or free software might make it more problematical. I've flirted with the idea to getting U3 but have an aversion to paying for an extra licence for some software (obviously Firefox not a problem).
Misty ;)

robbyp
29-10-2007, 06:00 PM
i wanted to know if you can download the u3 software from one drive to another because my friend says he mistakely deleted his software when he was formatting it and he wanted me to install it onto his one or can he download it from another site? he has "kingston data traveller" or something

Do you mean all the U3 system files were deleted when it was formated, becuase I would assume that you can download it from the manufacturer

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Whether it is proprietary or free software might make it more problematical. I've flirted with the idea to getting U3 but have an aversion to paying for an extra licence for some software (obviously Firefox not a problem). Misty ;)

You cant use EVERY program on a U3. It has to be specifically for a U3.

Otherwise, it wont install. The main reason for installing a program on a U3 is portability, and the program only installs on a U3.

And doesnt touch a hdd or the registry.

I've got a few programs on this U3. BUT, I really only use it if I have to flash the BIOS.

Since I dont use floppies.

If the Kingston is similar to the Sandisk, then installing the LPinstaller file, should install the menu stuff and format the U3 properly.

Misty
29-10-2007, 11:08 PM
You cant use EVERY program on a U3. It has to be specifically for a U3.
Hi Speedy, I did understand that and that's why I specifically mentioned Firefox because they have a U3 version. Also, if I am correct, the programs you can get for U3 are usually cut-down versions of computer programs or alternatively made specially for U3. In either case you may need a licence. Would that be a reasonable way of expressing it?
Misty :)

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2007, 06:34 AM
No. most of them are full versions.

Just cut down, so they actually work on a U3.

BUT, some are trials.

This is what (http://software.u3.com/softwarecentral.aspx?skip=1)

You can download, when you put the U3 in a USB port. This is in the menu