PDA

View Full Version : Sending email from XNet to Xtra Problem?

robbyp
29-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Anyone having problems on Xnet, sending email through the Xnet SMTP server to an @xtra.co.nz eail address, and it not arriving? I hae tried sending some test emails, and they are not being received by the xtra email address, and they also are not in the Xtra spam box. I have however tried sending an email through a gmail webmail account to an xtra addres, and it comes through instantly. I don't know if the problem is with Xtra or Xnet?

johnd
29-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Yes - definitely have this issue. Going on past history I would guess it is Xtra's fault not Xnet's!

robbyp
29-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Yes - definitely have this issue. Going on past history I would guess it is Xtra's fault not Xnet's!

I have contacted xnet, and they say that it is xtras problem, and it is also affecting other isps and they have informed xtra. I was wondering why I hadn't had much email today in my xtra box. Xtras status page says no major problems today either.

bk T
29-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I think Xnet has some email issues lately.

robbyp
31-10-2007, 12:16 AM
I think Xnet has some email issues lately.

I have only been with xnet for 2 weeks on their broadband, but my emails that are sent to @xtra.co.nz email addresses, are going into my clients yahoo xtra spam folder (in the bubble webmail), so my clients are telling me that they aren't getting my emails. With my previous ISP, this didn't happen. I am now thinking I made a big mistake switching to Xnet. xnet have told me that it is xtras problem, as they are blocking Xnets IP number.
I may now need to change ISP again. Anyone know if Orcon is having this type of problem. I may even go to Xtra, although they are very expensive, but I can't afford for my clients not to get my emails.

Wendles
01-11-2007, 04:24 PM
I know that this is being followed up with Xtra who unfortunately no longer look after the mail platform so it's all going through Yahoo. As I understand it mail from Xnet to Xtra is going into spam folders at the other end but there are other providers who can't deliver mail at all to them.

It's very frustrating from a service provider point of view as it's not a problem that can just be solved, it takes a lot of talking and negotiating to get the mail through and to try to get it going to the inbox.

nzrubyrock
02-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Yahoo are filtering entire mail servers so that all messages get dumped into Bulk Mail from those servers.

The email headers have a line 'X-YahooFilteredBulk' with the IP of the mail server.

As well as that, they defer all messages sent by those servers, so even if you add the person to your address book, it can still take hours for a message to get through to you.

It is a totally unacceptable situation, and one that seems to be causing a lot of trouble.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone else with the same problem to see how big it is.

qazwsxokmijn
02-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Telecom screwed up....again.

robbyp
03-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Yahoo are filtering entire mail servers so that all messages get dumped into Bulk Mail from those servers.

The email headers have a line 'X-YahooFilteredBulk' with the IP of the mail server.

As well as that, they defer all messages sent by those servers, so even if you add the person to your address book, it can still take hours for a message to get through to you.

It is a totally unacceptable situation, and one that seems to be causing a lot of trouble.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone else with the same problem to see how big it is.

Maybe they should get the media should get onto Xtra. Contracting out your email and the support to an offshore company is unacceptable, and legally Xtra could be in trouble for not delivering legitimate email, and incorrectly marking legitimate email as spam. This is Xtras email address to make a compliant and to get your email whitelisted mail-abuse-bulk@cc.yahoo-inc.com . They however will make you answer 15 questions , which may take about 1/2 an hour of your time.

As well as Xtra, I have also been having trouble sending from Xnet to other providers such as Freeparking / Iconz, the email just isn't arriving.

robbyp
03-11-2007, 01:05 AM
I came across the following blog discussing the same problem at http://luciddesign.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/xtra-and-yahoo-causing-major-problems-with-email-in-new-zealand/#comment-7188

Xtra and Yahoo causing major problems with email in New Zealand
October 24th, 2007

After their considerable teething problems with their new “Xtra Bubble” service, it is astounding that Xtra (or maybe it’s Yahoo) have implemented new spamming techniques that seem to prevent emails from being delivered if redirected through a shared web server. This is a very common technique for email delivery for small to medium-sized companies who wish to get emails @theirdomain.co.nz without having to setup a whole new email account.In a way it almost feels like the golden age of email has passed and it is no longer a reliable method of communication. We have all become so reliant on email and we assume our messages get delivered if we don’t get a bounced message but many many people are reporting that they simply are not getting their emails.After a call to Xtra’s help desk (where it is acknowledged that there is a problem due to Xtra now using Yahoo’s mail services), I was required to fill out a form followed by a very comprehensive email survey about my emailing techniques basically to clarify that I am not a spammer…. It does seem, however, that they have actually taken it on board and possibly moved our servers and IP address off their “black list” but I’m not convinced and have no choice but to basically advise clients to move away from Xtra for their emails as it’s just not reliable enough.I’m even wondering if they’re scanning emails for viruses and spam when sending through Xtra as I have cases of people’s emails not being sent (with no error!)….Very bad form from such a big company that so many people rely upon.If someone would like to clarify any of this or share their experiences with this problem, we would be very grateful to hear from you.

nzrubyrock
03-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks for posting that link RobbyP.

It seems that a lot of people are having this trouble, and I am wondering how many people are just fixing the trouble at their own expense and putting up with the Yahoo garbage - because what other choice do we have?

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Thought I may as well add this, since its about Xnet.

Some sites, if you cant get to them on ADSL, is because of the new ip's Xnet have acquired and new users have been allocated.

However, if you're on dialup the site that didnt work on ADSl will work, coz its in the old ip range.

I came across out one such site yesterday (The NZ TAB site), which was working up till 1-1.30 yesterday, but died soon after.

And still doesnt load / work on ADSL (Thru Xnet). As of now.

You'll have to use dialup to use it, if you bet online.

Until the ips (in the ip range you're on) get unblocked / added.

robbyp
03-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Thought I may as well add this, since its about Xnet.

Some sites, if you cant get to them on ADSL, is because of the new ip's Xnet have acquired and new users have been allocated.

However, if you're on dialup the site that didnt work on ADSl will work, coz its in the old ip range.

I came across out one such site yesterday (The NZ TAB site), which was working up till 1-1.30 yesterday, but died soon after.

And still doesnt load / work on ADSL (Thru Xnet). As of now.

You'll have to use dialup to use it, if you bet online.

Until the ips (in the ip range you're on) get unblocked / added.

I can access tab.co.nz using Xnet ADSL, however my IP address probably hasn't changed for a few weeks. I suspect Yahoo have Xnets IP numbers blacklisted which is causing the email problem, athough it has been a week since Xnet told me that they were trying to get Yahoo Xtra to fix this. Even though it isn't really Xnets fault, I may need to change ISP again if they can't get Xtra to fix this. Xtra probably don't care if a competing ISP is having problems emailing them. I mean if I used Xtra as my ISP,I wouldn't be having the problem.

robbyp
03-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks for posting that link RobbyP.

It seems that a lot of people are having this trouble, and I am wondering how many people are just fixing the trouble at their own expense and putting up with the Yahoo garbage - because what other choice do we have?

I would say quite a few based on this article. http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4255431a1861.html

However I have only had the problem since I moved to Xnet a few weeks a go, so i don't know how long Xnets IP numbers have been blacklisted by Yahoos mailservers.

Maybe many Xtra customers still don't know that they aren't receiving emails, and that many of their emails may be going into their bulk mail folder.

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2007, 05:09 AM
I can access tab.co.nz using Xnet ADSL, however my IP address probably hasn't changed for a few weeks.

That may depend on, how long you've been with Xnet, and what exactly this ip range is.

Yours is most probably not in the range thats affected, whereas mine is.

I could access the TAB site on dialup, but not on broadband.

First, I thought the prob was me or XP, but booted into Kubuntu, the same thing happened. I couldnt access the site on BB.

I even rang Dlink yesterday. (Before Xnet replied to the email I sent).

Saying theyre (Xnet), having issues, with some sites. With a few customers, who have ips in this range.

Now it looks like (for those affected) Stuff (www.stuff.co.nz) also times out on you.

robbyp
04-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Saying theyre (Xnet), having issues, with some sites. With a few customers, who have ips in this range.

I don;t think it is a very good look for xnet to have these problems, even though they maybe outside of their control. It would be good if they actually published the problems on their webpage, then we wouldn't have to waste our time trying to work out whether the problem is at our end.

stephen
04-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Over at Geekzone, (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=65) they have a forum dedicated to Xnet/VFX, and it is regularly visited by some Xnet representatives. They have just made a major posting this afternoon in response to some customers complaints about speeds that have been slow at night time.

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2007, 01:51 PM
I don;t think it is a very good look for xnet to have these problems, even though they maybe outside of their control. It would be good if they actually published the problems on their webpage, then we wouldn't have to waste our time trying to work out whether the problem is at our end.

Thats true, it was just lucky I had installed Kubuntu last week, so I could see if the site worked on that (but it didnt).

And I knew XP (since there's 2 PC's here, the same thing happened on both - the site wouldnt load).

Or the router wasnt the prob.

If it was the router, I doubt anything would work at all. I wouldnt be here.

And more sites would be affected.

And when I pulled the ADSL out and connected the modem and tried dialup, and the site loaded, I knew the prob wasnt here or the TAB site.

Thats when I sent the email to Xnet, to see if they were having probs, thats when they replied saying yup, they were.

And the TAB site wasnt dead, as I could ping it and its ip address and it didnt time out on BB.

DeSade
05-11-2007, 08:15 AM
*sigh*
And once again Xtra drags me kicking and screaming back into the fold......

robbyp
05-11-2007, 04:30 PM
*sigh*
And once again Xtra drags me kicking and screaming back into the fold......

I guess that is why Telecom's Xtra has been rated the worst ISP in New Zealand

http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=19406&cid=3&cname=Technology

Speedy Gonzales
05-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Seems the probs Xnet were having are now fixed.

The TAB came back about 1/2 an hr ago. Stuff was down but is back, and DSE was down, but is also back now.

Other sites, maybe affected, but I dont know which ones.

robbyp
05-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Seems the probs Xnet were having are now fixed.

The TAB came back about 1/2 an hr ago. Stuff was down but is back, and DSE was down, but is also back now.

Other sites, maybe affected, but I dont know which ones.

I think Xnets mailserver over the last few hours is having major trouble, as emails I have sent are being delayed by at least 10 minutes, and these are sent to non xtra addresses. I have tested sending using and ...@xnet.co.nz address and also a domain based address. Some sent an hour ago still have yet to arrive.

robbyp
05-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I think Xnets mailserver over the last few hours is having major trouble, as emails I have sent are being delayed by at least 10 minutes, and these are sent to non xtra addresses. I have tested sending using and ...@xnet.co.nz address and also a domain based address. Some sent an hour ago still have yet to arrive.

Took 1/2 an hour to get from xnets SMTP server to and iServe email account.

Naz
03-12-2007, 06:37 PM
"Contracting out your email and the support to an offshore company is unacceptable,
and legally Xtra could be in trouble for not delivering legitimate email,
and incorrectly marking legitimate email as spam".

"As well as Xtra, I have also been having trouble sending from Xnet to other providers such as Freeparking / Iconz, the email just isn't arriving".

I think you will find that no ISP in the world actually gauantees email delivery, no ISP would be in any sort of legal trouble for not delivering email.
In this case I believe email is being delivered, but not to the inbox. This is the individuals responsability to check and definatley
not a responsibility of an ISP.

Also if you are indeed having issues sending to other ISP's from XNet, then I would suggest that you change providers ASAP as they may be an unwitting
partner to illegal or dubious email activity. If this is the case then good luck getting any emails out from their servers if they happen to get black listed by other ISP's.

robbyp 29-10-2007, 01:10 PM #1
"In a way it almost feels like the golden age of email has passed and it is no longer a reliable method of communication".

You are correct in this statement, the golden age of email is long gone. The spammers that killed it!
All email used to be a very basic version of open mail relay, direct delivery. see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_mail_relay

However all things change and evolve along their life span and email is no different.
As email, the Internet and security measures have changed over the last decade,
so has e-crime and spam is the number one e-crime in the united states. Sadly in the end, its the public who all suffer for it.

overtone
16-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Today I called Xtra, I am not an Xtra customer, and asked to talk to a tech about why I am recieving bounced emails from my customers with xtra.co.nz email accounts.

I got this response...

"... the big cheese's are fighting it out. The problem is that xtra no longer handles all the mail serving. Yahoo in Oz does it now. You have to fill out a white-list form with yahoo Oz ..."

I am now telling my customers to change ISP. I think I have a good arguement now.

Regards,

John Grant

[edit]

overtone
16-01-2008, 07:45 PM
I think you will find that no ISP in the world actually gauantees email delivery, no ISP would be in any sort of legal trouble for not delivering email.

I'm sorry but don't Xtra have an obligation to comply with the Fair Trading Act & Consumers Guarantee Act? Not to mention the Privacy Act regarding the Yahoo in Oz now diving into my server to see if I'm going to spam Xtra or not.

Thoughts?

John Grant

[edit]

Safari
16-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm sorry but don't Xtra have an obligation to comply with the Fair Trading Act & Consumers Guarantee Act? Not to mention the Privacy Act regarding the Yahoo in Oz now diving into my server to see if I'm going to spam Xtra or not.

Thoughts?

John Grant

[edit]

It has nothing to do with your personal mail.
If you read the previous posts you will see that Yahoo have your ISPs mail servers blacklisted which is causing the email problem.

CYaBro
16-01-2008, 08:49 PM
This problem seems to be back again.
I've just had a customer email me asking what had happened to their invoice I was supposed to send.
I had sent it a week ago.
Had to sent it to their personal email address (not with Xtra) for it to get through.
I am with Xnet.