PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver users - can you help?

Joe_Davies
29-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi Folks,

I operate a website that's mainly been created with Dreamweaver 7.

My problem is that most of the text pages take up the entire width of the screen and I need to narrow the text into a readable size column.

Does anyone know how to do this in Dreamweaver, and for a bonus, is there some way to apply it to a whole set of pages at once?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Joe Davies

Morgenmuffel
29-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi Joe

it very much depends on how the page has been written, there is more than one way to do this, but it very much depends on the underlying page code,

Did the person who developed the site leave a template etc

if we could see the site, it would probably make it easier to tell you how to do this

Greg
30-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Easiest is to stick the text into a table of any width percentage or fixed width you like. Or CSS can do this for you site-wide.

John W
30-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi Joe

I recommend the advise given below, create a one cell Table, nominate the width (I usually go for 800 pixels) then enter your text in there.

As for CSS, I havent found an easy to understand description of what this is all about. Can someone help here?

HTH

John.

Joe_Davies
01-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks for that.

The site is at www.arena.org.nz.

Most of the first pages you'll come to are OK, they've been done in a Dreamweaver template. If you go inside a bit further though, you come across all the articles, and they're the pages that sprawl across the whole width of the screen.

Using a table sounds like the go. I'll give it a try.

Oh and while I'm none the wiser about how to use them, CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets. They set a design template for web pages.

But how I get from knowing that to knowing how to use them is another matter ...

Thanks everyone,

Joe Davies

Greg
01-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Yep... for the simplest solution stick to a table. Dead easy.