PDA

View Full Version : powerbook G4 not loading OS

_lilmic_
29-10-2007, 01:45 AM
hi,

i got a powerbook G4 (3 years old i think) from a relative recently. But starting from last week the laptop would powerup but all i see is a blank grey screen, the operating system would not load.

Im new to mac s and dont know anything about them, but i tried using options+ command +P +R combination (or something along those lines). From wat I saw on other forums that was the main solution for everything.....but it didnt work for my laptop.

Im just wondering if its my hard drive that has crashed or whether its just a software error....

oh and another thing...after a while (about 5 minutes) 2 icons come up....one with a picture of an arrow pointing to the right and one with an arrow curled up like a circle (like a cycle sign). I tried clicking both these icons but nothing happens

gibler
29-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Sounds like your startup disk has gone AWOL. could be just some filesystem corruption or more than likely the hard drive has completely died. Start up from your Mac OS X installation disc and check the hard disk with Disk Utility (hold the C key down at power up to boot from a CD)...

Nermal
29-10-2007, 03:04 PM
The 2 icons you see (straight and looped arrows) are the boot selection screen. You can get to it manually by holding Option at the boot chime. Usually you will also see a list of available boot volumes, but since you're not seeing that it appears that the system isn't seeing a bootable drive at all.

While sitting at that screen, insert your OS X CD then press the looped arrow. This will rescan the drives and you should see the CD appear. Click it then press the straight arrow to boot from the CD. Once you're in the Installer, open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu (Tiger) or the Installer menu (Panther). You should see the hard drive on the left, if not then you may have a hardware failure.

_lilmic_
30-10-2007, 12:02 AM
thanks a lot guys

ill try these solutions and ill get back to ya