PDA

View Full Version : Noisy PC

JMoore
28-10-2007, 11:45 PM
I am wondering what is the easiest way to make my PC run quieter. It is self assembled in a Thermaltake Dream case and I can list the specs if required. Basically I would like to know what the easiest (and cheapest/free!) way to reduce the noise is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deane F
29-10-2007, 06:35 AM
How many fans? And what video card?

(If you have an 8800GTX then take it from me, it's making the most noise...)

Spend $25 or so on a case fan controller and adjust your fans for the best compromise of noise vs heat. Or buy quieter fans. 20 - 22 dB is a fairly quiet fan and the noise level of the fan is usually listed in the specs.

pctek
29-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Thermaltake case

Chnage the case fans to Vantec or Sunbeam or SilenX.

TT makes noisy fans.

Cho
29-10-2007, 12:35 PM
that and swap out any 80mm fans for 120mm where possible. pushes more air with lower rpm's less noise.

utopian201
29-10-2007, 12:56 PM
your psu may also be a source of noise.

Pete O'Neil
29-10-2007, 01:03 PM
List the specs of your PC and current cooling setup. Its not unusual for a lot of people to have far more fan than they need, it this situation an easy solution is to mod the fans so they only use 7v that way the spin slower and make less noise.

There are quiet a few heatsinks available these days that will cool modern CPU's and video cards passively. One of my favorites is the Ultra 120 by Thermalright its should cool most Core 2 Duos and Athlon64's with ease.

beeswax34
29-10-2007, 02:19 PM
You could try rubber dampners as the feet of your CPU to reduce any vibration that could be causing noise.

A nice big fan AND making sure that air flow is efficient will go a long was as well.

Pete O'Neil
29-10-2007, 02:42 PM
You could try rubber dampners as the feet of your CPU to reduce any vibration that could be causing noise.

A nice big fan AND making sure that air flow is efficient will go a long was as well.
Fans would likely create a far greater level of noise than anything created by vibrations. Rubber dampners would be a waste of money unless the rest of the PC has been sufficiently quietened.

JMoore
29-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Wow thanks for all the feedback. I've pulled the side cover off to have a bit of a listen. OK 3 case fans the front one of which seems to be the loudest. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT and it seems to be making the most noise (sort of rattling).

The specs of my PC are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1.0GB DDR400 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT
200GB Seagate 7200 SATA Hard Drive
320GB Seagate 7200 SATA2 Hard Drive
LG DVD reader/writer
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case with PSU

Thanks again for your feedback and if you need any more info let me know.

Pete O'Neil
29-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Chances are the fan on the 6600GT is starting to show its age, a lil bit of grease on the bearings might quieten it down otherwise you may need to replace the HSF if you really want to reduce the noise.

As cho suggested earlier is it possible to mount 120mm fans in your case? A 120mm fan spinning at a slower speed (less noise) will push just as much air as a 80mm at a much higher speed (increased noise).

** A quick Google shows 2 120mm in the front and back and a 92mm in the side by default, as PCTek said the Thermaltake fan are bloodly loud an easy fix would be to replace them with a decent quiet brand.

tweak'e
29-10-2007, 04:57 PM
pull the front case fan out and throw it away. provided the rears are setup properly it should be fine.

apsattv
29-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Chnage the case fans to Vantec or Sunbeam or SilenX.

TT makes noisy fans.

Glacialtech are good

apsattv
29-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Wow thanks for all the feedback. I've pulled the side cover off to have a bit of a listen. OK 3 case fans the front one of which seems to be the loudest. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT and it seems to be making the most noise (sort of rattling).

The specs of my PC are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1.0GB DDR400 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT
200GB Seagate 7200 SATA Hard Drive
320GB Seagate 7200 SATA2 Hard Drive
LG DVD reader/writer
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case with PSU

Thanks again for your feedback and if you need any more info let me know.

Checkout in your motherboard manual which fans on your m.b support speed adjustment. Then download and have a play with SPEEDFAN which can give better control over most fans.

Yeah the 6600 GT are really noisy, but you can buy a 3rd party replacement cooler for it for about $40.

DC any fan that you think might not be needed but use speedfan to monitor the TEMPS.

beeswax34
29-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Fans would likely create a far greater level of noise than anything created by vibrations. Rubber dampners would be a waste of money unless the rest of the PC has been sufficiently quietened.

Pfft, I use rubber dampners and they made a difference alright. Fans do make the most noise, doesn't mean you cant attack elsewhere alongside with changing the fans.