PDA

View Full Version : Using master & slave question, please

Ron40
25-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi all, i have just reinstalled XP on my primary hardrive, but now i would like to hook up another hardive on my slave ribbon and run Win 2000 on it, is this possible ? or would i have to put the earlier Win 2000 as primary then put the Xp
hardrive as slave position ? i hope i have explained myself properly.
appreciate any help.

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2007, 05:36 PM
If theyre on separate hdd's (2k on slave and XP on Master), I cant see why not.

I dont think it really matters, since they'll be on different hdd's.

You'll just have to bring up the boot menu (if your system has the option) to select which OS to boot.

Or go into the BIOS every time (and change the bootdisk to whatever hdd) you want to boot from.

I spose you could add something to XP's boot.ini file, so it knows 2k exists somehow.

Ron40
25-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Ok, thanks a lot Speedie, i will give it a shot now.

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2007, 05:51 PM
No prob.

If on the other hand 2k and XP were on the same hdd, you're usually meant to install the earliest version (of Windows), to the latest.

Then I think the entries would go into XP's boot.ini file (so it knows what else is on the hdd).

That way, you could select which OS you wanted to boot from by selecting it when the menu comes up.

When you boot from the hdd.

Sweep
25-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Ok, thanks a lot Speedie, i will give it a shot now.

Generally install the earlier model of Windows first. Give some thought to partitions and sizes. If you do it this way then you will not need to go into the BIOS to boot two hard drives.

You have two hard drives. How are they partitioned and what logical drives have you at this point?

zqwerty
25-10-2007, 06:16 PM
On my computer I hold down F8 as I start it, shortly a window comes up asking which HDD I want to boot off. I have two versions of XP.

On my old computer I have 98SE and 2K, but there I have a boot menu as they are both on the same HDD and 98SE was put on a separate partition from 2K. 98 SE first then installed 2K later.

Ron40
25-10-2007, 06:58 PM
I got to thinking about the booting sequence & put the brakes on, i don't really want to go into BIOS to boot all the time and not sure if i have the boot option that Speedie speaks of.
I have previously had Win K & XP on the same hardrive [ installing Win 2000 first ] and it worked fine, given me the option of either OS to boot from, but i have never tried 2 separate hardrives before, not sure if its going to be worth my while now.

wainuitech
25-10-2007, 07:20 PM
I got to thinking about the booting sequence & put the brakes on, i don't really want to go into BIOS to boot all the time and not sure if i have the boot option that Speedie speaks of.
I have previously had Win K & XP on the same hardrive [ installing Win 2000 first ] and it worked fine, given me the option of either OS to boot from, but i have never tried 2 separate hardrives before, not sure if its going to be worth my while now.

Have a read of This article (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/234455-46-windows-2000-professional-windows-dual-boot). Its not really that hard, in simple terms the boot loader needs to altered to allow a choice of which OS to boot into when you start the PC.

Sample of Boot ini from Microsoft:

Sample Boot.ini File
This is a sample of a default Boot.ini file from a Windows XP Professional computer.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

This is a sample of the above Boot.ini file with a previous installation of Windows 2000 on a separate partition.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Here is the article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022)

If you notice the only difference is the last two lines & what they are called in the bottom Boot.ini

Where it says " Windows XP Professional" or Windows 2000 Professional" these are only names - you can called them "mickey Mouse 1 & 2 "if you wish. As a test for this I alted a Duel Boot on XP & Vista - I called XP - "Old Crap" and Vista Left alone :lol:

Ron40
26-10-2007, 02:04 AM
Thanks very much wainuitech, i will try it out in the morning.
many thanks
Ron :thumbs:

drcspy
26-10-2007, 05:12 AM
i don't really want to go into BIOS to boot all the time

or you could find a thirdparty bootloader program such as bootUS and run that it'll do it for you.........

Ron40
27-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I have struck a problem, that i can't figure out what i am doing wrong.
I placed XP as my master & win 2000 as my slave, i changed the boot in XP as explained and clicked on "save". this is the exact copy below.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

If i have XP in primary position & Win 2000 in slave, when starting the pc up i get the choice of the 2 OS's to pick from ok, but it will only start XP up, if i pick Win 2000 i get a black screen with this notice on it.

" Windows could not start because of a computor disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from elected boot disk.
Check boot path & disk hardware, please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware referance manuals for additional information."

I have tried to put the Win 2000 in primary position & XP as slave and only Win 2000 will start up.

any help is really appreciated.

zqwerty
27-10-2007, 10:43 AM
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm

bevy121
27-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Are those spaces occuring in your /copypasting or are they indeed in the bootloader textfile?
could be the prob - just a thought

WINDOWS="Micro soft
WINNT="Microso ft

Pete O'Neil
27-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Your boot.ini file is wrong, you need to modify it to suit your situation simply coping the one provided wont work. The one provided was setup for 2 OS's that are on the same hard drive but different partitions ;)

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
See where it says disk? Also partition should be changed back to 1.

bevy121
27-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Oh those spaces dont matter - that bit is just a name string
You have the os's on different drives
that boot.ini is configured to look for different partitions I think, rather than different drives.
In the last line for loading 2000 change the rdisk(0) to rdisk(1) and the
partition(2) to partition(1)

*EDIT*
Sorry Pete - didn't realize you'd posted allready :) - was away from the comp for a bit and came back and posted mine without checking

Agent_24
27-10-2007, 11:28 AM
yes, you're trying to boot a 2nd non-existant partition on your first drive, you need to tell it to boot the 1st partition on the 2nd drive

Agent_24
27-10-2007, 11:31 AM
just to add a warning here:

when using both these operating systems, do NOT use hibernation. if you do, you MUST un-hibernate and restart before you load the other OS. failure to do so will corrupt drives.

I know about this from bad experiences...

To clarify, do not load one OS when the other OS is hibernated

Ron40
27-10-2007, 01:30 PM
You little ripper it works perfectly now :D

I changed the rdisk(0) to rdisk(1) & partition(2) back to partition(1), it now boots into either choice no problems at all.

THANKS VERY MUCH, IMMENSELY APPRECIATED.

Rony

Ron40
27-10-2007, 01:52 PM
You little ripper it works perfectly now :D

I changed the rdisk(0) to rdisk(1) & partition(2) back to partition(1), it now boots into either choice no problems at all.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH, IMMENSELY APPRECIATED.

Rony:thumbs: