PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Hauppge TV card?

Shortcircuit
21-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Has anyone successfully set up one of these cards for Freeview? I've tried selecting dVB-s and Optus D1 then scanning for channels without success... got to say that the instructions are as good as the Chinese box ones I bought on TM :waughh:

After the hell I've been put through with different versions of Linux and Myth TV I've reached the end of my patience. There is only the joyous sight of PF1 on a 40" Sony spurring me on right now :badpc:

Bantu
22-10-2007, 07:04 AM
I have had a Hauppage 4000 sitting in my cupboard for a few weeks. Cable guy comes on wednesday to run some cables into my office and lounge. Hopefully by Thursday it will be feeding freeview to my PC. But it will be on WinXP and not linux.

Search the forums for MediaPortal. Someone mentioned that in setting up a Hauppage card a few days ago.

Shortcircuit
22-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Yep, I ended up going out and buying a copy of XPhome to install mediaportal :dogeye:

Here's a big Linux Lesson... Don't, just don't bother.

I tried Linux MCE (nothing worked with anything) ATI vid card can only be recognised as 'Vesa', can't install drivers to run it at higher resolutions.

Mythbuntu (TV card recognised, but as someone on the Myth TV forum said- "that don't mean it will work") My wifi card also worked once, and never again.

Pluto Home... can't be installed on SATA drives (???) Tried anyway, couldn't find root file system, then ditched the CD drive so nothing else could be installed.

At least with XP/Mediaportal I'm almost there and all the hardware bits work, except tuning the TV card :(

CYaBro
22-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Have you had a look at this (http://mcraenz.googlepages.com/) page?

Erayd
22-10-2007, 11:54 AM
I run Mythtv/Debian with a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150. Had no problems at all setting it up, was a piece of cake (although there are rather a lot of settings for MythTV). Admittedly this is an analogue tuner rather than a DVB one (I have mine hooked up to a Sky digital STB) but I daresay the architecture and driver support will be similar. I also know someone who has MythTV & Freeview set up - they managed it without too much trouble.

Bantu
22-10-2007, 01:01 PM
CYaBro that link was cool. Might have a good use for one of my old PC's after all.

Shortcircuit
22-10-2007, 02:23 PM
I run Mythtv/Debian with a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150. Had no problems at all setting it up, was a piece of cake (although there are rather a lot of settings for MythTV). Admittedly this is an analogue tuner rather than a DVB one (I have mine hooked up to a Sky digital STB) but I daresay the architecture and driver support will be similar. I also know someone who has MythTV & Freeview set up - they managed it without too much trouble.

Sorry Bletch- I would be laughing if I wasn't so p**d off after the brick walls that have been thrown up in the last week trying to get anything Linux/myth running. It's just the same old frustrations with Linux (Pluto is deb based so that ain't a solution either).

It might tell you how grumpy I am with it when I went out and actually bought another M/Soft product so that all the bits that SHOULD work do work... it's never gonna happen in Linux land with the new hardware that I purchased, unless of course I wait until it's all obsolete and they have drivers etc for it :D

The link to the Freeview set up was great thanks- will wait until I'm calmer and have another go :thumbs:

PS I'm thinking of whacking a rimu frame on my new 40" Sony LCD and hanging it from the ceiling on chains.... what do you all think?

wratterus
22-10-2007, 03:22 PM
PS I'm thinking of whacking a rimu frame on my new 40" Sony LCD and hanging it from the ceiling on chains.... what do you all think?

Awesome idea!! :D

Sherman
22-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Sorry Bletch- I would be laughing if I wasn't so p**d off after the brick walls that have been thrown up in the last week trying to get anything Linux/myth running. It's just the same old frustrations with Linux (Pluto is deb based so that ain't a solution either).

It might tell you how grumpy I am with it when I went out and actually bought another M/Soft product so that all the bits that SHOULD work do work... it's never gonna happen in Linux land with the new hardware that I purchased, unless of course I wait until it's all obsolete and they have drivers etc for it :D

The link to the Freeview set up was great thanks- will wait until I'm calmer and have another go :thumbs:

One question: The card wouldn't happen to be an HVR-3000 or 4000 would it?
If so, then there's your problem right there... those cards use software encoding, and getting ANY media center program working with a software encoding card is a mission in itself...

Sherman
22-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Hmm, it could be that the hardware/software encoding thing only affects analogue TV.. You're using satellite so it shouldn't be a problem.

CYaBro
22-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Yea there is no encoding done with a DVB card.
It just takes the stream and saves it directly to the HDD. It is already an MPEG2 stream so that's why nothing has to be done to it.

Pete O'Neil
23-10-2007, 08:02 AM
The PVR-4000 works fine in MediaPortal a friend has it running fine. Think he had some issues with drivers but managed to fix it in the end. Also think he couldn't get Freeview to work without running both the server and client of MediaPortal.