PDA

View Full Version : Card Reader Probs

rny
14-10-2007, 09:53 AM
I am having a problem with either my memory stick, (Sony 512 Mem Stick Pro), or the card reader on my computer. I can view the pics on the stick ok in the camera, the camera works perfectly normal, but when trying to view via the card reader, no joy. When the card is inserted, I get a quick flash of the eggtimer thingy, then nothing. If I re insert a few times and give it a bit of a wriggle, it seems to work so far as opening the folder, but when selecting view thumbnails, I am told there is no device to read. Other Mem Sticks work ok. Does anyone know if the fault is likely to be a fault with the Memory Stick or the card reader. I am going to take the card to a processor today to get the contents put onto a cd just in case. In the meantime any help would be appreciated.

rny.

wainuitech
14-10-2007, 10:54 AM
It sounds like the card is not making contact correctly - is it "snug" in the reader or does it feel loose?

rny
14-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Ta for the reply, feels kinda loose but no worse than the other two that open ok. On trying again, beggining to suspect contacts, looks like a new card coming up.
rny.

SurferJoe46
14-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Try this:

1) plug the car into the reader...ignore anything it does and close any screens that appear.

2) right click on My Computer

3) click on Manage

4) click on Disk Management.

5) find your SD card and right click on it and EXPLORE it, don't OPEN it!

6) see if your pixs are there.

Sometimes Windows does some funky things like forgetting that you have a card reader and that there are such things as SD cards..etc...ya gotta learn it again!

rny
14-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks S J, I know the pics are there as sometimes if I wriggle the stick around some and hold upward pressure as I insert into the reader, everything works, folder shows, opens and when changing view to thumbnails some start to appear then if I relax hold on card, all turns to custard and no more change to thumbnails. All points to bad connection. Off to town now to get a cd made - hopefully!!!!!

rny