PDA

View Full Version : MAC Help

CYaBro
13-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Hey MAC users...

I have a client who just got back from New York and they visited the Apple store while there. They had to queue to get in!
Anyway they came back with two Mac Books that are 2GHz CPUs with 2GB RAM.
Not sure on the HDD size. (Don't know how to find this out - Never really used a Mac before!)

They want to be able to use Windows on them.
Is it best to install Boot Camp or use Parallels? Or both?
Can you use Vista on either of them or are they XP only?
What is the best Office suite for the Mac?
Is handbrake the best software to use to convert DVDs or other movie files for an iPod Video?

winmacguy
13-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Hey MAC users...

I have a client who just got back from New York and they visited the Apple store while there. They had to queue to get in!
Not sure on the HDD size. (Don't know how to find this out - Never really used a Mac before!)

They want to be able to use Windows on them.
Is it best to install Boot Camp or use Parallels? Or both?
Can you use Vista on either of them or are they XP only?
What is the best Office suite for the Mac?
Is handbrake the best software to use to convert DVDs or other movie files for an iPod Video?

I'm not surprised they had to que to get in. The Apple store on 5th Ave is busy 24/7. It is also Apple's leading store for revenue.
Pics here (minus the people) http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/gallery/

Bootcamp is fine although it is coming out of beta. VMWare is apparently better than Parallels, the difference being that with Bootcamp you boot up in either OS X or Windows XP or Vista, with VMWare you run them both together. Windows reportedly runs faster on VMware on a Mac than on a PC.
If you have enough RAM you can actually run XP, Vista, Linux and Mac OS..Just watch out for Spaces in Leopard ;) Gives a new meaning to virtualisation.

To find out HD size on a Mac just click on the HD icon on the top RIGHT of the desktop and use the Apple key + I. Same process works for finding out file size of folders.

MS Office for Mac is ok but rather bloated. iWork08 is much better and much cheaper and compatible with MS Office. Available from http://www.apple.com/iwork/
yes the lastest version of handbrake is fine although I haven't really tested it out.

Renmoo
13-10-2007, 11:02 PM
I am counting UP... :p :p

(Hint: WMG)

Edit: Not bad, 19 minutes. :p :p

winmacguy
13-10-2007, 11:07 PM
I am counting UP... :p :p

(Hint: WMG)

Edit: Not bad, 19 minutes. :p :p

probably faster, I was typing and checking sources.
Your counting up Jamuz, gosh...:rolleyes:

limepile
13-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Why run windows at all, if you use crossover you can run individual programs written for windoze without having to load it.
Hey Winmacguy, I haven't tried it but can you run open office on a Mac? I assume you'd have to run crossover ?

CYaBro
13-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Why run windows at all, if you use crossover you can run individual programs written for windoze without having to load it.
Hey Winmacguy, I haven't tried it but can you run open office on a Mac? I assume you'd have to run crossover ?

Never heard of Crossover.
Does work with all Windows programs?

winmacguy
14-10-2007, 06:19 AM

You can run Openoffice for Mac but iWork08 is better especially on Intel Macs as it is designed by Apple and only costs $109NZ. I have used OpenOffice on 10.3 and it was pretty good although a tad sluggish when starting up.
Most main stream apps have a native Mac version, it is only on some business areas and PC niche markets that you can't find a Mac equivalent although that is changing.

Crossover here http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ although if your running VMware crossover is not necessary because you would be running Windows natively in its own window something like this http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/XP-Pro-in-Parallels.jpg

According to reports, Leopard (10.5) is going to allow for ever closer virtualisation with Spaces http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/spaces.html. Leopard is due out here early next month and will cost US $129 for a single user license

winmacguy
14-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Hey MAC users...

All Macs come with Ethernet, built in WiFi, Bluetooth, Firewall and Windows filesharing etc which can be found by looking in the Finder>Applications>System Preferences (=Windows control panel)
You will need Admin Password to make changes.