PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new computer off Trade me

mattv
13-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Hi all.

Has anyone had any real experience buying a new computer off Trade me? In particular has anyone here ever bought from tbt2? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=905148

I am in Chch and since they are in Auckland I am just a bit worried about after sales service should anything go wrong. Unfortunately their prices seem very good.

I am looking at one of their desktops here http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/Without-monitor/auction-122092595.htm

Any comments? I want something for editing photos and videos mainly. They do customise so I think I may see if they can put in a quad core chip but apart from that it seems pretty good.

FoxyMX
13-10-2007, 01:18 PM
I am in Chch and since they are in Auckland I am just a bit worried about after sales service should anything go wrong. Unfortunately their prices seem very good.

Haven't looked at your links but I would suggest that you stick to a ChCh dealer for the reasons you have specified above. The hassles involved with an out-of-town dealer should something go wrong is not worth saving a few bucks for. It's much easier to zip across town and deal with claims in person.

Pete O'Neil
13-10-2007, 01:35 PM
You realize the system you've linked to doesn't come with an OS? Also be aware that you'll need a 64bit OS to fully recognize all 4gb of memory, so ensure all hardware has decent 64bit drivers or you could be in for a load of problems.

JJJJJ
13-10-2007, 04:29 PM
There are several on Trade Me who are basicly computer builders. They will all build a PC to your specs.
I would suggest you look for one closer to home.

Or why not ask on the forum here if any of the members in chch will build one for you.
The price will be much the same, regardless of who builds it.

pctek
13-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Has anyone had any real experience buying a new computer off Trade me? In particular has anyone here ever bought from tbt2? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=905148

I am in Chch and since they are in Auckland
"All systems are covered by 1 Year Parts & Labour Warranty"

Well what a ripoff. They are unclear which HDD it gets, WD is 3 years and Seagate is 5 years.

The CPU has a 3 year warranty too.
They don't state what brand garphics card either.
SO it could be 1 year.
If it was an ASUS or GIgabyte it would be 3 years.

So I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone.

mattv
13-10-2007, 04:54 PM
You realize the system you've linked to doesn't come with an OS? Also be aware that you'll need a 64bit OS to fully recognize all 4gb of memory, so ensure all hardware has decent 64bit drivers or you could be in for a load of problems.

Thanks Pete - I do not need an OS - I have a copy of Vista Ultimate I want to use with both 32 and 64 bit versions. I was not aware though that I would have to use the 64 bit version. How much RAM can the 32 bit version use? I don't really know much about 64 bit at this stage. I don't have much other hardware to add at this stage but obviously I will need to check my other software and do a bit more research.

As for everyone elses comments - if any PC builders in Chch can build me a similar system at a similar price please pm me.

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2007, 05:16 PM
By the looks of it, the 32 bit version of Vista can support upto 3.25 GB

The rest goes for whatever else is running.

This is the limitation for 32 bit systems.

The 64 bit version can use most or all of 4 GB.

beeswax34
13-10-2007, 05:17 PM
I think the upper limit for the 32-bit version is 2 or 2.5GB of RAM. But buyer beware, 64-bit drivers, while available, are not there in enough numbers or haven't gone through enough testing.

qazwsxokmijn
13-10-2007, 05:44 PM
No, don't buy from trademe, especially if you are too far away from the seller. Buy from a reputable computer shop, regardless where they are.

My neighbour bought a new PC from TM a while ago. His motherboard turned out to be faulty, contacted the seller and he refused to comply, because 'the buyer is not a professional, and therefore cannot be trusted'.

george12
13-10-2007, 06:37 PM
I think the upper limit for the 32-bit version is 2 or 2.5GB of RAM. But buyer beware, 64-bit drivers, while available, are not there in enough numbers or haven't gone through enough testing.

It's 3.25 to 3.5GB.

I 100% guarantee you that that seller is using Apacer or Silicon Power memory - dirt cheap and unreliable. They'll also be using a Palit graphics card most likely, which is way at the cheap end.

It is also not a very good deal. He shouldn't be using the old P965 chipset motherboards - an Asus board with the P35 chipset would be much better.

Basically, it's designed on the cheap and I wouldn't go there. He doesn't even mention the brand of the power supply :eek:

george12
13-10-2007, 06:54 PM
No, don't buy from trademe, especially if you are too far away from the seller. Buy from a reputable computer shop, regardless where they are.

My neighbour bought a new PC from TM a while ago. His motherboard turned out to be faulty, contacted the seller and he refused to comply, because 'the buyer is not a professional, and therefore cannot be trusted'.

There are reputable sellers of new PCs one Trade Me. There are, on the other hand, a lot of sharks out there.

That ad doesn't seem very professional to me, but on the other hand he does have 100% positive feedback.

qazwsxokmijn
13-10-2007, 08:59 PM
There are reputable sellers of new PCs one Trade Me. There are, on the other hand, a lot of sharks out there.

That ad doesn't seem very professional to me, but on the other hand he does have 100% positive feedback.
Oh well, there are of course. I've seen some reputable sellers who actually build their PCs using the latest stuff.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/Complete-Systems/auction-122484072.htm

The seller mentions he uses Silverstone PSU - an excellent PSU manufacturer. And notice the motherboard he uses? Latest P35 chipset one. Some other sellers still tries to get rid of near-obsolete stock by using P965 or even 945 motherboards.

Oh, and the auction above includes a TT Soprano case - a much better case than those cheap iCute cases other sellers use to save money.

pctek
13-10-2007, 09:33 PM
I've seen some reputable sellers
Here's a good example of what I'm talking about:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/Complete-Systems/auction-122484072.htm

He doesn't mention what brand of RAM, he doesn't mention the warranty at all, he doesn't mention brand of Graphics card.

If they're such great retailers why do they need Trademe?

george12
13-10-2007, 09:51 PM
He doesn't mention what brand of RAM, he doesn't mention the warranty at all, he doesn't mention brand of Graphics card.

I'm the seller.

It's Transcend Jetram DDR2-800, Asus or Gigabyte graphics card depending on which is in stock, and my warranties are one year parts & labour plus manufacturers 3yr/5yr warranties on the hard drive, CPU, motherboard, video card and monitor. I've edited the auction to reflect this, as all of that is a minor selling point and I use those parts anyway. Better than people thinking I use no-name brand parts.

And I didn't ask Philip to recommend my computer, he says he did because it's unfair to debunk all Trade Me sellers.

As for why I sell on Trade Me, I don't want to market a full-on computer sales business at this time - Trade Me allows me to sell PCs without having an online store to run. Eventually I will start an online computer store perhaps, but I don't know if it will ever be worth my while to do so.

qazwsxokmijn
13-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Expanding into more market niches is good, isn't it?

pctek
14-10-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm the seller.

It's Transcend Jetram DDR2-800, Asus or Gigabyte graphics card depending on which is in stock, and my warranties are one year parts & labour plus manufacturers 3yr/5yr warranties on the hard drive, CPU, motherboard, video card and monitor. I've edited the auction to reflect this,

Why not just do manufacturers warranty then?
PSU may be more than 1 year, likewise optical drive depending what its got.

george12
14-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Why not just do manufacturers warranty then?
PSU may be more than 1 year, likewise optical drive depending what its got.

That's exactly what I do. I honour manufacturers warranties on all the parts. I just mentioned the main ones that I knew had longer warranties off the top of my head.

Grimy
14-10-2007, 06:17 PM
I bought my new PC from a Trade Me seller and am happy with my purchase. I was able to ask for what I wanted, he would quote me for that and I'd make changes, etc.
I had a problem with the monitor (1 stuck pixel) and he changed it straight away. I wouldn't buy off the net if it was far away though.
Having said that, my first PC was a Gateway (after PC Direct's buy out) which came from Malaysia (I think) with a PSU that was swinging around loose, knocking the c**p out of the motherboard for 7,000kms. I have to say though, that they sorted it pretty quick, and maintained my faith in the brand/reseller. At the end of the day things break, things fail, things aren't always right - but as Allan Martin used to say "it's the putting right that counts".