localhost login: (I put root here)
Password: (I put root here too)
[root@localhost ~]#

.......now what?

SurferJoe46
13-10-2007, 04:33 AM
Tried non safe mode...

"The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly"

2 times and then the desktop appears. Ugh!

There are no desktop icons..so how can I do the install?

I am drilling thru the Synaptic packages trying to find something I can use.

Jen
13-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Joe, you should be well aware of the fact by now that unless you provide more details than that, advice cannot be given. I have absolutely no idea on what you are trying to do other than, yes that is the root command line you now have.

Please post back with pertinent details on what exactly you are trying to do and what error messages (if any) you have seen.

Myth
13-10-2007, 08:30 AM
OK...I got to here:

PCLinuxOS release 2007 (PCLinuxOS) for i586
Kernal 2.6.18.8.tex5 om a i686 / tty1
localhost login: (I put root here)
Password: (I put root here too)
[root@localhost ~]#

.......now what?Try typing 'install' or 'installer' (without the quotes)

SurferJoe46
13-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Joe, you should be well aware of the fact by now that unless you provide more details than that, advice cannot be given. I have absolutely no idea on what you are trying to do other than, yes that is the root command line you now have.

Please post back with pertinent details on what exactly you are trying to do and what error messages (if any) you have seen.

Sorry...I am having a running conversation with anyone who will listen to me and I just got carried away...or should be carried away by now.

OK..Trying to install PCLOS on another Dell XP750 with native hardware..but I do have that vid card that I noted. (RagePro AGP).

I have a fresh install of XP on a 40g hdd and wanted to try to install a different hdd for the L-install..but somehow that failed and led me down the road of no return for a few days until I found that the vid card was loose and needed a reseat.

I decided to stay with just a 40g for now...I can always add another hdd for the files that will get generated in XP later.

OK..it works now...and XP is running bright and bushy-tailed and all updates and SP2 are installed..but NO WMP11! .

I then reboot with the PCLOS2007 live, and I can get all the way thru to the little thermometer running where it stops at about 20% or so.

I tried a Safe Boot version of PCLOS, and I watched it stop several times, but got it to go one last time as far as building a desktop and then I get a notice two-times from the PCLOS Wizard (?)....(maybe not running yet though) the last good, up to that point, in time.

PCL had told me that: "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly" ..and I think it was the cause of the no-icons situation.

This is 'way before I can get to the "Install" icon..as I can't even get it up and running as a live disc.

At this point I was gonna send Mr. Torvalds a blistering e-mail and accuse him of some nasty things, but I went to sleep instead.

I can however go online by clicking on Firefox, and some of the things that aren't installed yet are available by "marking" them and getting a download... ...although quite a few of them failed too. I can run thru the router and get DSL running well..although slowly as it exists in a semi-live mode anyway. I got an automatic sign-in going thanks to another helper.

FYI: This is the same .iso version that successfully installed on two other puters. It worked on a P4, and this is a P3..so I don't see any problems there.

I even have more RAM in this Dell than the other successful install.

I am lost here as to why the Dell refuses to allow this installation.

I've tried the various modes in the install..ones that concern the vid card I believe. No go.

mikebartnz
13-10-2007, 03:33 PM
When first booting it could be worth a try putting pci=noapic as an extra option. Mine won't boot without it.

SurferJoe46
13-10-2007, 04:03 PM
When first booting it could be worth a try putting pci=noapic as an extra option. Mine won't boot without it.

I'll try that...do we have similar systems that require this tweak?

Jen
13-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I tried a Safe Boot version of PCLOS, and I watched it stop several times, but got it to go one last time as far as building a desktop and then I get a notice two-times from the PCLOS Wizard (?)....(maybe not running yet though) the last good, up to that point, in time. Sorry, I'm confused. You got an notice or error message that said what was "last good"?

PCL had told me that: "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly" ..and I think it was the cause of the no-icons situation.

This is 'way before I can get to the "Install" icon..as I can't even get it up and running as a live disc.I think you are trying to say the graphical desktop (window manager, icons, wallpapered desktop etc) does not load at all? Did the "process for the file protocol died unexpectedly" mention X server or xorg?

I can however go online by clicking on Firefox, and some of the things that aren't installed yet are available by "marking" them and getting a download... ...although quite a few of them failed too. How are you getting online with Firefox when you cannot get the desktop to load according to your previous description of the problem?

kjaada
13-10-2007, 04:39 PM
With the problems you have had all along I have to assume you have either a faulty CD player or a Bios fault or wrong setting.When booting from the live CD your HDD is not used.

SurferJoe46
13-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Sorry, I'm confused. You got an notice or error message that said what was "last good"?

The last good was my definition..I got as little further every time I tried to boot the live cd. But I got to the last decent boot-up and never saw any desktop icons...especially the one that says: "install"

I think you are trying to say the graphical desktop (window manager, icons, wallpapered desktop etc) does not load at all? Did the "process for the file protocol died unexpectedly" mention X server or xorg?

No..never any other words or text...just that notification that it died. I can set/change the wallpaper and the update GUI etc, but I am at a loss to find anywhere to install PCL.

How are you getting online with Firefox when you cannot get the desktop to load according to your previous description of the problem?

There are some icons on the taskbar...if that's what PCL calls that area....but they are few and there's no "Install" icon there...just HOME, PC, Firefox, I think SAGE or Konqueror...but that's about all. The desktop is bare.

Something's broken..and I am kinda trying to not throw distro this outta out the window. I really LIKE it on that other homebuilt puter..it works smoothly and it's kinda pretty too.

I might try a sole-install a little later if you think that an NT bug is stopping it.

I'd really like to have the dual-ness of it though. I need to run that same educational/reference program and L-base doesn't seem to have any way of displaying the text I need to see. The icons in it are there, but the text areas are all blank. I had to install and run WINE and WINE Doors to get it to display...but it was incomplete.

I am learning some of this L-talk no matter how confused I am...I just don't understand the reluctance of this puter to accept PCLOS.

Jen
13-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Just read the release notes for the latest PCLinuxOS and you have to log onto the desktop as root to see the installer icon. So at the graphical username login window, enter in "root" as the user and "root" as the password. The desktop should now load and the icon will be on the desktop.

Sweep
13-10-2007, 05:56 PM
The last good was my definition..I got as little further every time I tried to boot the live cd. But I got to the last decent boot-up and never saw any desktop icons...especially the one that says: "install"

No..never any other words or text...just that notification that it died. I can set/change the wallpaper and the update GUI etc, but I am at a loss to find anywhere to install PCL.

There are some icons on the taskbar...if that's what PCL calls that area....but they are few and there's no "Install" icon there...just HOME, PC, Firefox, I think SAGE or Konqueror...but that's about all. The desktop is bare.

Something's broken..and I am kinda trying to not throw distro this outta out the window. I really LIKE it on that other homebuilt puter..it works smoothly and it's kinda pretty too.

I might try a sole-install a little later if you think that an NT bug is stopping it.

I'd really like to have the dual-ness of it though. I need to run that same educational/reference program and L-base doesn't seem to have any way of displaying the text I need to see. The icons in it are there, but the text areas are all blank. I had to install and run WINE and WINE Doors to get it to display...but it was incomplete.

I am learning some of this L-talk no matter how confused I am...I just don't understand the reluctance of this puter to accept PCLOS.

OK. I am confused as well. I have a copy of PCLinuxOS 2007 and as a live CD I was stupid enough to have a play. I was under the impression I could have my play and remove the CD. No! WinXP did not boot anymore.

Just went to a GRUB prompt. Lost my E: drive as well.
Two SATA 200 GIG hard drives here.

No real matter though. I have backups.

I did have an install option and tried this but my two hard drives were not noticed.

Sweep
13-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Just read the release notes for the latest PCLinuxOS and you have to log onto the desktop as root to see the installer icon. So at the graphical username login window, enter in "root" as the user and "root" as the password. The desktop should now load and the icon will be on the desktop.

Jen. You are correct. Just rebooted off the live CD. The O/S did not want to know about the sound card I have. The time zone was also a worry. NZ or NZ-Chat. Makes you think.

I hope I can now close and reboot as usual.

Sweep
13-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Jen. You are correct. Just rebooted off the live CD. The O/S did not want to know about the sound card I have. The time zone was also a worry. NZ or NZ-Chat. Makes you think.

I hope I can now close and reboot as usual.

Have done this. But like SurferJoe I would like a dual boot system.
The previous post was using Linux and this is using WinXP Pro X64.

mikebartnz
13-10-2007, 10:21 PM
It has nothing to do with NT

mikebartnz
13-10-2007, 10:29 PM
You don't need to log on as root to see the Install icon but you need the root password to install

mikebartnz
13-10-2007, 10:34 PM
I'll try that...do we have similar systems that require this tweak?
I'm sorry but I don't fully understand what you mean. It depends totally on the PC as to wether you need that tweak or not.

mikebartnz
13-10-2007, 10:38 PM
OK. I am confused as well. I have a copy of PCLinuxOS 2007 and as a live CD I was stupid enough to have a play. I was under the impression I could have my play and remove the CD. No! WinXP did not boot anymore.

Just went to a GRUB prompt. Lost my E: drive as well.
Two SATA 200 GIG hard drives here.

No real matter though. I have backups.

I did have an install option and tried this but my two hard drives were not noticed.
You obviously had a play with the wrong thing. Perhaps Redo MBR or something.

mikebartnz
13-10-2007, 10:42 PM
The time zone was also a worry. NZ or NZ-Chat. Makes you think.
I always thought the Date line did a dog leg around the Chathams so leaving it in the same time zone as mainland NZ.

SurferJoe46
14-10-2007, 04:55 AM
You know...that date part might be a problem too.
PCL gives you a few options to set the clock and two are supposed to be an automatic thing I think...it tells you to select the most correct time...well...they are both so far off that neither one is better than the other so I choose the "manual setting" and I bet things go crazy from there.

I never get any way to set the time from that tick-off, and it goes right to the next part of the live installation.

I know Windows is powerfully controlled by the system clock...do you suppose that PCL is too if I cannot get close to a correct time setting?

Anyway..I will try Jen's way with the root/root...but I really think I did that already..ah well...we learnz or we dozzent.

OK..got the root/root entered and now I am sitting here with this again...but notice that I am not getting this on the desktop or the two little choices in the live cd part..this looks like a command-line area and not the installation stuff I saw on the other system I installed successfully:

Kernal 2.6.18.8.te4x5 on an i686 / ttyl
localhost loging: root
Password: root
[root@localhost ~]# _

I typed in "install" and it gives me this:

—bash: install: missing file operand
Try 'install --help' for more information.
[root@localhost ~]# _

then I tried "installer" and got this:

—bash: installer: command not found
[root@localhost ~]# _

...so the circles get smaller.

kjaada
14-10-2007, 05:17 AM

Just a maybe but notice the i586 and i686,Perhaps yr box is
i386 and maybe not compatible.

SurferJoe46
14-10-2007, 05:59 AM
Aha!....

Where would that info be?

Will aida tell me?

kjaada
14-10-2007, 06:01 AM
The date thing can be a problem but it just may be yr system clock that needs setting.Syncing the clocks is neccessary sometimes as one or other may show a date that is way in the future.

kjaada
14-10-2007, 06:07 AM
Aha!....

Where would that info be?

Will aida tell me?

No idea but I do recall that some download sites have different downloads for i386.Also as a point of interest I run PCLOS and Klikit which is very similar but comes as a DVD download of 990 MB and so has a lot more installed from the start.

SurferJoe46
14-10-2007, 06:19 AM
The date thing can be a problem but it just may be yr system clock that needs setting.Syncing the clocks is neccessary sometimes as one or other may show a date that is way in the future.

Crazy it may be...but the date/time is correct in the taskbar when I can see it...and I ask PCL to take the system time as the token, and it won't. I know the system time is correct...

....gonna look for an i386 dnld..I have DSL/no caps so I might give it a try.

Seems that this is the probable cause..as PCL went into a couple of other installs but this Dell XP750 won't let it.......

Watch this space for further info and silly questions.

Jen
14-10-2007, 08:08 AM

Just a maybe but notice the i586 and i686,Perhaps yr box is
i386 and maybe not compatible.i686 is the designation for Pentium 2 (and the AMD equivalent) processor and above. If this machine runs XP OK, then I'm guessing it is at least this.

Personally I would not have wasted so much time with PCLinuxOS on this machine, as obviously there is something not right. Pick another distro and try that instead.

lysdexic
14-10-2007, 08:40 AM
i686 is the designation for Pentium 2 (and the AMD equivalent) processor and above. If this machine runs XP OK, then I'm guessing it is at least this.

Personally I would not have wasted so much time with PCLinuxOS on this machine, as obviously there is something not right. Pick another distro and try that instead.SurferJoe, have read a few of you Linux posts and would tend to agree with Jen. I see you had reasonable success with (K)Ubuntu, have you tried Mepis? Mepis uses the Ubuntu repositories, but is comparable to, maybe even better than PCLinuxos in my opinion

SurferJoe46
14-10-2007, 11:32 AM
SurferJoe, have read a few of you Linux posts and would tend to agree with Jen. I see you had reasonable success with (K)Ubuntu, have you tried Mepis? Mepis uses the Ubuntu repositories, but is comparable to, maybe even better than PCLinuxos in my opinion

I can say that I have had remarkable success with Mepis...somehow...I don't know how...I got it to run as a media server and it's doing it very well on a SOYO MOBO with an Athlon XP processor 1.5 and 2g RAM with 8/500g hdds and another 40g for the <root>.

Don't ask me how..I think it was set up by the good cobbler's elves while I wasn't looking. There are bad cobbler's elves too...I know what I'm saying here.

I was so happy with the way PCL looks, I really..REALLY wanted to get it into this Dell..and I might try one more time.

Jen knows of the time I lost all the data on all the harddrives on that system...I was trying for a dual boot (GRUB) and somehow Mepis took a wild hair and deleted and formatted everything.

I swore I'd never do a dual-boot again...but this XP install is so new, I want to try it again and see if I can make it work. All I'd lose is a day's work installing XP and SP2 and all the hotfixes and updates for XP and a bunch of dead electrons.

If that fails (and you'll hear me in NZ from Southern California), I'll go back to good ol' Mepis.

I really appreciate all youse guys bearing with me here on this windmill quest.

johnd
14-10-2007, 06:07 PM
"The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly"

I have had this message on an installed version of PCLOS once - I just logged out and logged back in and all came right. I am not sure what the cause of this might be? Everything was working - just file system shortcuts I had made on the desktop were missing.