PDA

View Full Version : Some XP Questions

Morgenmuffel
12-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Ok i am currently using XP a lot more than i used to
And I don't hate it, but I do have these questions

Is the windows compression utilty any good, i have a legal version of stuffit which i normally use, does the windows compression utility work with gz, bzip, tar etc
Can Xp be made to read linux partitions, as I remeber installing a utility on my 2k machine but I don't seem to be having any luck finding it again
How do you go about synching (for example) my laptops email with the desktops emails
What codec pack should i install o take care of all the avi files i have, i know on my wifes machine i had to download a couple of different ones to get all avis playing
How terrible is the inbuilt CD/DVD burning software, i have an OEM Nero and some uLead thingie (which i quite like), is it worth installing them
I assume upgrading the windows driver for my Graphics card is a given?
There is a question 7 but my brain has died, (Yeah i should be a polititian), ditoo for 8 and 9Thanks in Advance,

CYaBro
12-10-2007, 01:47 PM
1. Windows Compression util only does zip files. I would use another program that does rar, cabs etc as well like winrar or 7zip.

2. Don't know

3. That could be tricky

4. Use VLC for www.videolan.org to play any avi files. No need for any codec packs with it, it just works :thumbs:

5. Terrible. I would use Nero.

6. Sure is.

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Is the windows compression utilty any good, i have a legal version of stuffit which i normally use, does the windows compression utility work with gz, bzip, tar etc

I dont think so, only zip.

Can Xp be made to read linux partitions, as I remember installing a utility on my 2k machine but I don't seem to be having any luck finding it again

Looks like you can, with something like this (http://www.go2linux.org/node/51)

How do you go about synching (for example) my laptops email with the desktops emails

Thats a good question, unless it can be downloaded from the MS site, you may have to pay for it.

What codec pack should i install o take care of all the avi files i have, i know on my wifes machine i had to download a couple of different ones to get all avis playing

There's quite a few around, there are also codecs that install MALWARE.

So, be careful, what you download and install.

Or install something like PowerDVD.

How terrible is the inbuilt CD/DVD burning software, i have an OEM Nero and some uLead thingie (which i quite like), is it worth installing them

Its not too bad but until you install the file that lets you burn to DVD as well, it only supports drop and drag to CD. You can disable it tho in Services. BUT, then the option in WMP wont work. If you use it.

It depends on WHAT you use Nero and the Ulead programs for, they'll definitely do more than XP's built in burning.

I assume upgrading the windows driver for my Graphics card is a given?

That depends on what you use the PC for. Altho, it wont hurt to update them, once in a while.

beeswax34
12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
The k-Lite codec pack would definitely install any and all codec you could possibly need rather than getting VLC player.

Nero is definitely better than the built-in software in Windows.

I had my old computer for almost 7 yrs running XP SP2 and never ever upgraded my GFX card drivers and I never had an issue. If you play a lot of games and/or use new software (CS2 etc) you might get a benefit out of this.

pcuser42
12-10-2007, 03:32 PM
5. It's alright for basic CDs, but advanced CDs and all DVDs require 3rd party programs.