PDA

View Full Version : secure online storage

shoresmarte
12-10-2007, 09:00 AM
i need help i run my business from home and need to have a secure storage of some sort to backup my clients data, i have thought of a external hardrive but if the house burnt down then obviously that would be no good, does anyone know of a secure online storage facility that i can have multiple users access ie my clients acess their data only etc, don't mind paying

wainuitech
12-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Welcome to PressF1 Shoresmarte,

I use this place called Freedrive (http://www.freedrive.com/), its free and you can anyone you gave the username and password can have access to it.

I'm not to sure if you can have seperate user accounts within the one account, but the price is right FREE - and it has 6 Gig of storage. You can always make up seperate user accounts for every client, and you know the user names / passwords so you can upload / alter etc.

stu161204
12-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Have a look at File Guardian (http://www.webdrive.co.nz/fileguardian/index.php)

Hope this helps :)

Ho Chi Minh
12-10-2007, 11:36 AM

I use this place called Freedrive (http://www.freedrive.com/), its free and you can anyone you gave the username and password can have access to it.

I'm not to sure if you can have seperate user accounts within the one account, but the price is right FREE - and it has 6 Gig of storage. You can always make up seperate user accounts for every client, and you know the user names / passwords so you can upload / alter etc.

Just tried freedrive uploaded a word doc but it dosent open what am I doing wrong
Wainui?

Ho

Safari
12-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Google Docs works fine

wainuitech
12-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Just tried freedrive uploaded a word doc but it dosent open what am I doing wrong
Wainui?

Ho The files that are uploaded to the Freedrive are only stored there, you can not read from the site, they have to be redownloaded to the PC.

I had trouble uploading a few word doc's when using Safari web browser, Firefox and IE worked fine.

To upload you click on "upload" along the top and a new window opens, there you browse to the flies you want on your PC then click upload. You can also create new folders,and select uploads to go to that folder. See Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Freedrive.jpg) - Sorry for the mess in the Pic - not to good at writing with a mouse :lol:

Ho Chi Minh
12-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks Wainui I have just got google docs going its choice cant believe it free and intuitive for a dumb ass like me

Ho

beeswax34
12-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Yup, Freedrive is absolutely great and good features too. Its not that hard to use and can store any file format (though you may need to zip it first) and its FREE. Perfect comination:)

wainuitech
12-10-2007, 12:43 PM

. Holy Cr*p! Those new drugs I'm on for the tooth infection must be good - just read my own post from this morning - hope someone understood it :eek: :D

It should have read - anyone who you gave the username and password to can access it.

more drugs time - :stare:

Ho Chi Minh
12-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Yup, Freedrive is absolutely great and good features too. Its not that hard to use and can store any file format (though you may need to zip it first) and its FREE. Perfect comination:)

Well sort of great, I couldnt access word doc files od pdf when uploaded. It wouldnt accept my accounting program save files which I think are based on MS Acess.
But to be fair unless its intuitive and easy a dumb ass like me wont be able to work it,. Google docs easy just uploaded 50 mb of files just now. Can edit online cant belive its that cool and free (I do free)

Ho

wainuitech
12-10-2007, 01:18 PM
About the only thing I can see wrong about using Google is there may or may not be a security issue.

You hear all sorts of horror stories about security being breached, from various places, and how some data was shared that was not meant to be etc.

I would certainly be careful about what is in the content documents etc. Wouldn't want any private data falling into the wrong hands, even by mistake.

beeswax34
12-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Well sort of great, I couldnt access word doc files od pdf when uploaded. It wouldnt accept my accounting program save files which I think are based on MS Acess.
But to be fair unless its intuitive and easy a dumb ass like me wont be able to work it,. Google docs easy just uploaded 50 mb of files just now. Can edit online cant belive its that cool and free (I do free)

Ho

But Google can only edit a few formats online. Did you upload the access program files AFTER zipping them into a folder? you also need to disable the "unzip on uploading" function.

shoresmarte
18-10-2007, 04:17 PM
thanks for all your advice but i really need something very secure that i can have multiple user accounts accessing (ie individual clients) downloading their company accounts so i don't think any of the free stuff will actually do what i need them to do, thanks anyway