PDA

View Full Version : surecom ep-816dx-fs

ivorandjuan
11-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi everybody

I just got myself a surecom ep-816dx-fs switch and I just cannot get the thing to work. I cannot get the IP address - and I don't know how to get the default IP address :help: :dogeye:

Does anybody know where the reset button is or how to reset it to fit's factory default settings??????????????????????????:badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Wouldnt it be the same as any other hub??

Just plug an ethernet cable into it, and assign the ip address yourself, through the LAN's properties. On whatever computer

ivorandjuan
11-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi
For some reason I cannot find it on my system because I do not know what the current IP address is. My computer does not see the switch

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
How is it connected to the computer?? Ethernet??

ivorandjuan
11-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Hi

Can anybody please tell me how to get into this switch????? I cannot find the IP address and my computer does not see the switch. How do I reset it?:help:

ivorandjuan
11-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Yes, ethernet:mad:

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Can a mod merge this thread (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=83741)

You should have answered the other post you posted. Instead of creating another one.

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2007, 08:43 PM
The NIC youre plugging it into, is the LED on it lighting up??

If not, check that the NIC on the back of the case is enabled. Or try another ethernet cable.

Erayd
11-10-2007, 09:18 PM
This is a 'dumb' switch; it doesn't have an IP address at all. Your computer will only be able to see it at the physical layer, not at any other level. If you plug the cable in and the lights go on, then you have a connection. End of story.

Anything else, and the problem is nothing to do with your switch.

ivorandjuan
11-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah sorry about that Speedy realized too late how it works :waughh:
Think I'm just a bit wired up 'cause of this switch.
When I plug the network cables in the lights do go solid green..but I cannot get the computers to see each other..can it be ny anti-virus?

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2007, 10:31 PM
1. How many computers?

2. What version of Windows?

3. What about firewalls? What firewall/s are installed?

4. Make SURE all computers have the SAME workgroup name.

5. Have you given all of the computers their own ip addresses?

6. Have you got dialup or broadband? Are you using a modem/router if youre on broadband?

7. Do you want (a) these computers to see each other on a network or (b) all of them to have access the internet as well?

8. Also MAKE SURE you create a folder on each, and share one folder (NOT the whole hard drive).

And folder sharing is enabled on all of them as well.

ivorandjuan
11-10-2007, 10:35 PM
I don't think I mentioned that the switch has a consol port on it and that all the info on the net that I could find says it is a layer 2 managed switch. If so how do I get into it other than with a hammer lol:lol: :help:

ivorandjuan
11-10-2007, 10:40 PM
I have gone through all of the above - I'm running a fixed IP cable internet at 12mbps and I want to share the internet connection with all my pc's and proxy software isn't working out very well for me. A lot of my applications eg Skype, Azeureus won't run on mashines other than "the server"

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Yer so what version of Windows are we talking about, (on all of these computers), and how many computers are we talking about?

Erayd
11-10-2007, 11:28 PM
I don't think I mentioned that the switch has a consol port on it and that all the info on the net that I could find says it is a layer 2 managed switch. If so how do I get into it other than with a hammer lol:lol: :help:Connect a serial cable to it, and fire up a terminal emulator. The usual settings for switches etc are 9600, 8N1. The interface will be command-line based. If someone has set up vlans or port-based authentication on the switch this could cause issues - if the switch is new it shouldn't be a problem.

Interesting though - the page I looked at from google said it wasn't a managed switch - guess I was wrong.

ivorandjuan
12-10-2007, 07:17 AM
We are running Windows XP Professional on all the computers - 4 in total - with telstreclear internet. Our anti-virus is mckafee and normal windows firewall.

ivorandjuan
12-10-2007, 07:24 AM
i don't know much about terminal emulators. I did create one using hyper terminal. It says it is connected but yet I cannot type anything. Where can I send or take the switch for someone to have a look at it for me please? I am in Christchurch

ivorandjuan
12-10-2007, 12:41 PM
I want o connect the computers that they can see each other as well as be able to go on the internet from each one.

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I would buy another ethernet hub. A 4-5 port one.

Obviously you've set the computers up and plugged them into this hub, and configured everything, it doesnt work.

So, whats the point in trying to network these PC's, with this hub.

Pete O'Neil
12-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I would buy another ethernet hub. A 4-5 port one.

Obviously you've set the computers up and plugged them into this hub, and configured everything, it doesnt work.

So, whats the point in trying to network these PC's, with this hub.
You seem to have completely missed the boat Speedy! The switch seems to be working fine, its a managed switch and the OP wants to gain access to its user interface. Most managed switches have a web interface just like a router ;)

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2007, 02:39 PM
lol, well IF the OP had a link or something, or a manual somewhere, it may help us.

In finding out, what this switch actually does, and how to get it to play nice.

ivorandjuan
13-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi guys. Thanks a lot for all your help :thumbs: problem solved - everything up and running just the way I want it - got myself a cisco router !!!
ie 16 port switch going cheap :D :2cents:

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Good! Must have been something on the other one, we couldnt figure out, or it was knackered. Why it didnt want to work.

ivorandjuan
13-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi there
Yeah! Maybe all it needs is a hammer through it. Maybe then it will wake up :stare: :horrified