PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Ram from 512 meg

Digby
11-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys

I have a friend who bought a new pc from Hardley Normal the other day with Vista on it and 512 meg of Ram. It is as slow as Michael Cullen's tax cuts.

We have decided to increase the RAM, he will buy it and I will fit it. If we bought say one stick of 1 gig or 1 stick of 2 gig would we have to take out the 512 ? meaning that you cannot have say 1.5 or 2.5 gig of RAM ?

Regards

Digby

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Depends how many sticks it can take / how many slots on the mobo.

And how much ram it can take.

If it doesnt support dual channel ram, having both sticks should be fine.

If it does support dual channel ram, it'd be better if you got 2 sticks that are the same brand/speed, to make use of it.

Is it a desktop or laptop?

SolMiester
11-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Is this a laptop?, i would just get a 1Gb stick and keep the existing 512Mb which is already running single channel anyway.

1.5Gb single channel will run faster than 1Gb dual channel...

Digby
11-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Its a desk top.

I am getting the manual for it in a day or so.

Regards

Digby

wainuitech
11-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Whats the make and model, if its a name brand PC its easy enough to look up the specs.

If its a name brand PC just a bit of advice, most of them have a service sticker/seal on them, if that seal is broken to upgrade components,which you have to do to get into the PC - places like HP can say that will void your warranty - seen it happen a few times.

Shortcircuit
11-10-2007, 06:13 PM
If its a name brand PC just a bit of advice, most of them have a service sticker/seal on them, if that seal is broken to upgrade components,which you have to do to get into the PC - places like HP can say that will void your warranty - seen it happen a few times.

They can say it, but they would have to prove that changing the ram caused the warranty problem. It's like saying the tire blew on your new car and you replaced it, then the engine blew up and it wasn't covered under warranty because you changed the tire.

wainuitech
11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
They can say it, but they would have to prove that changing the ram caused the warranty problem. It's like saying the tire blew on your new car and you replaced it, then the engine blew up and it wasn't covered under warranty because you changed the tire.

You are right in what you say - I fully agree, but sometimes they appear to be looking for any excuse to say no. I was only giving advice to be careful in whats done - nothing more.

Without going into a huge fight and technical details, they can and DO say that damage was done to a PC from Non HP technicians or Non HP Parts.

I rang HP once to get permission to break the seal on a 2 month old PC, It was granted because I'm a registered service tech with HP ,they took the serial number my name etc, and then they told me that if Non HP components were installed it may void any warranty.

Its the old saying - read the warranty - hardley any one does untill something happens.

I have seen it happen in the past with HP's. The stickers that are between the rear and side of the case say different things on different models / times I have found.
Once I took a customers PC into HP as it was still under warranty with a blown PSU ( thats what it appeared to be - it smelt like it), someone had broken the seal to add other parts, and after looking up the serial number I was told - Nope warranty voided sorry.

In fact I have a HP computer here at the workshop right now around 3 years old. Its out of its warranty so no worries but here is the EXACT wording on that seal. The first line is in caps.
[Quote]WARNING: DO NOT OPEN UNIT before reading warranty and licence Information. If this seal is broken your warranty may be voided.[end]

Cant be any more clearer than that.

Digby
11-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks - points noted.

I will post the model number when I get it.

Regards

Digby

Shortcircuit
11-10-2007, 08:15 PM
[Actually blah- I can't be bothered trying to educate people about this any more.

If it was me I'd be breaking the seal and fitting the ram as I gave HP the finger

wainuitech
11-10-2007, 08:27 PM
[Actually blah- I can't be bothered trying to educate people about this any more.

If it was me I'd be breaking the seal and fitting the ram as I gave HP the finger Thats your choice. Theres no harm in warning people of possible dangers.

Bet if you did it yourself and IF something happened you would roll over and say Oh ok thats fine - Like ******
I have seen so many posts here from people blowing up components from not knowing all the dangers - as I'm sure you have to shortcircuit.

But Digby advised and thanked for the pointing out. End of story.

nerd
11-10-2007, 08:35 PM
i reckon that as long as you dot wreck anything else you should be fine
and i beleive that you should put in the 2 gig and leave the 512 in there as well because what can go wrong if you get the right ram for your model computer and if it dosent work with different ram in it just take out the 512 because 2 gigs (or 1 depending on what you have)fast enough alreay isnt it? cuz my ones only 512 and i dont mind. But if you want to play games on it i would get the highest possible.

Shortcircuit
11-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Thats your choice. Theres no harm in warning people of possible dangers.

Bet if you did it yourself and IF something happened you would roll over and say Oh ok thats fine - Like ******
I have seen so many posts here from people blowing up components from not knowing all the dangers - as I'm sure you have to shortcircuit.

But Digby advised and thanked for the pointing out. End of story.

No- I wasn't talking about blowing components up... and you really don't know what I would say if/when I blew something up last night.

What I was saying is- as a professional you should not be giving people the wrong idea about warranties either express or implied. And before you get on a high horse- I had some input into setting up the CGA, so I possibly understand it despite being blond. :thumbs:

If Digby wants to install extra ram his/herself and they are fairly confident that they can do it without damaging the computer- then why not have a go? Most people are intelligent enough to live with the consequences of stuffing up- and you can charge them accordingly for the pleasure of sorting the mess.

That's the end of story

wainuitech
11-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey shortcircuit, you got me thinking now :lol: with that comment about the blond, (no offence meant) Now I don't know if you are a he or she :p Doesn't matter anyway. - Never for a minute doubted your knowledge/skill.

As I said before, I fully agree with you, I personally think it sucks that the stickers are there in the first place - you should be able to upgrade a PC if you want without risk of voiding anything.
I'm not impling anything either - only stating a fact that the warnings are there.
The only reson I even mention any of the warnings is in the past I have said nothing - then if something happens I get " Why didn't you say something" - Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Digby - If it is an HP computer just make sure what ever RAM is purchased it can be exchanged if its the wrong stuff, not all makes of RAM work on HP's /Compaqs.

lakewoodlady
21-10-2007, 02:13 PM
You can get this neat little tool from www.crucial.com and it will scan your PC and tell you exactly how much and what sort of RAM to get. I found out about it just today on this forum.

Sorry I don't know how to make the address a hyperlink for you.

lakewoodlady
21-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Oh, looks like it has anyway, lol!