PDA

View Full Version : Unraring RAR files question...

minster
11-10-2007, 12:12 PM
[edited]
I know that you use winrar to open rar files but as each individual file seems to have a similar "set up" file inside, I am confused at how this unraring, installation takes place.
Can anyone shed light on this please?:help:

Metla
11-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Sure, Don't ask questions in regards to warez or illegal rips of games.

The_End_Of_Reality
11-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Well these sound like instructions I have heard that come with ILLEGALLY downloaded games, might I refer you to the forums rules? (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=81854) section 5... :rolleyes:

Jan Birkeland
11-10-2007, 12:33 PM
there are legal uses for RAR's as well, and while we cannot help you with whatever it is you want to unRAR, I'm sure someone here can explain the unraring process for you.

In a way that doesn't break too many rules that is ;)

Metla
11-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Select all the files,right click,extract.

Or simply double click the first file in the series and follow your nose.

Presuming you have winrar installed.

pctek
11-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Mutiple file rars are usally:
file.rar
file.r01
file.r02

etc.....

And it unpacks into whatever was rarred in the first place.

SurferJoe46
11-10-2007, 03:18 PM
You should have options to unrar the stuff to the same area you are in, unrar and e-mail..and some other options to send it to other places at will... .etc. ..but I find that if I unrar to the same area I am in it's not as confusing to find in the future...or the next few minutes when I forget where it went.

This of course assumes legal activities...I don't know about using it for illegal things.

minster
13-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Yes, I have found that extracting the files one at a time ,overwriting the preceding one does work.
Thanks to everyone for helping out with this as it is not for illegal use.

Mr Wetzyl
14-10-2007, 12:12 PM
winzip 11 pro allows unpacking all zipped, rar etc files....:-)

Cho
14-10-2007, 02:34 PM
all ya gotta do is right click the .rar file. and go extract. 1 it gets around the winrar trial as you not actually running the program. works for winace as well. hope this dont come under talking about pircay. and winrar will extract all the data that is in all the files. as to winRAR it is really just one file. just made easier to use for putting on floppys, if you live in the 90's

SurferJoe46
14-10-2007, 03:40 PM
I talked to a M$ tech a couple of months ago and he said WINRAR was in public domain anyway and any attempts at selling a licensed copy of it was bogus.

Has anyone else heard that too?

autechre
15-10-2007, 08:49 AM
I talked to a M$ tech a couple of months ago and he said WINRAR was in public domain anyway and any attempts at selling a licensed copy of it was bogus.

Has anyone else heard that too?

Given that these guys (http://www.rarlabs.com/) have been operating since WinRar has been around, i'd say thats M$ talking some crap.

It's possible that the rar algorithm is in public domain, like pkzip (i think), but i doubt that WinRar itself is public.