PDA

View Full Version : Ditching Xtra thoughts on Xnet

DeSade
11-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Now I have read numerous reports on how good Xnet is but what I really want to hear is the bad experiences.

Any one got any Xnet horror stories?

It looks like they will be getting my business but I need to be sure, changing ISP's is a pain and I don't want to do it again.

Metla
11-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Not from me, Xnet are in my experience competent, professional and customer focused.

Speed to my house seems the same no matter which ISP I use.

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I've only been with Xnet with just under 2 weeks. BUT, so far so good.

Havent had any probs so far.

Changing to Xnet saved me the connection fee ($99), the churn fee ($41) and the Home phone fee most ISP's want you to have ($10) = $150!

All I had to get was the modem/router.

And I was connected the same week, I changed over to Xnet.

I was happy to get rid of Ihug and my phone, I was paying for, while I was on dialup.

pctek
11-10-2007, 01:09 PM

I couldn't get VFX to work..........There was a stuffup getting my calling over to them, they kept trying to contact Telecom instead of Ihug like I'd told yhem.

However compensation was arranged, all is happy now.

They have a good helpdesk, no contracts, no penalty for not having calling etc etc.

No fixed data plans - choose what you like, or no fixed cap at all........(although that doesn't mean you can be a data pig)

Its all good.

braindead
11-10-2007, 01:19 PM
No complaints with Xnet, other than that they're a bit slow at peak times.

supergran
11-10-2007, 01:43 PM
I have been with Xnet on broadband for nearly a year, and both times I have had connectivity problems, they have been my end, and I have got through to the help desk quickly, and they have talked me through what is wrong, and I am connected again. No complaints what so ever.

One extra they do have that I have used in those times, is dial up as spare. So when I can't connect with my broadband and I have tried everything I know, I switch to dial up, go to their site, make sure there are no problems in my area, before I ring them. And that way, I don't make more of an ass of myself if they are having hassles.

Once I used dial up for the rest of the evening, when my broadband was down, my fault, until I rung the help desk in the morning.

So sorry, no horror stories here, just a great help desk. LOL

jermsie
11-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm having some connectivity problems. HTTP seems to cut out randomly and I must reboot the modem every now and again. Didn't have that with Orcon but hey.

Erayd
11-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Nothing but good things to say about them.

robbyp
11-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Now I have read numerous reports on how good Xnet is but what I really want to hear is the bad experiences.

It looks like they will be getting my business but I need to be sure, changing ISP's is a pain and I don't want to do it again.

Does anyone know if Xnet have a minimum contract, if I switch from another broadband provider. I see other companies such as Orcon do. I am planning to go overseas in a few months, and don't want to be tied into a contract, or have to pay a $99 disconnection fee. My current provider doesn't have a contract, but I have been using them over a year anyway.

berryb
11-10-2007, 05:29 PM
No contract but you have to supply your own router. I am being switched over from Ihug to Xnet tonight. I have been impressed with the communications from them so far. Hopefully all goes well tonight!

linw
12-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Must be unheard of to get no horror stories about an ISP!!

Sorry to disappoint, but I changed from IHUG to XNET a few weeks ago and have no complaints at all.

To lessen the pain of changing ISP's get a mail account not tied to an ISP.

Greg
12-10-2007, 08:52 AM
I know I'm simple minded, but can someone please advise the Xnet plan best for me?

I'm currently on 2Mb/s down, 128Kb/s up, 10 Gig per month cap, at $60.00 per month.

2Mb/s down is pretty much the max I can get from my location, which is ok.

What I'd like is pretty much the same but with better upload speed - (I think 512Kb/s is the max which would be sweet).

Would I be better off switching to Xnet?

Thanks.

DeSade
12-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Xnet Flood
unlimited up
unlimited down
60.19 for 10gig cap
65.31 for 15gig cap

reduced to 64kb if cap is broken with the option to purchase another data block to cover extra usage.

Trev
12-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Try Actrix. Voted best ISP in the country by Consumer Mag. There plans might not suit everyone but you soon get use to them. Been with them since April 2002 except for 3 weeks at Sling---- you can make the second word up yourself. Rang up Actrix 4 oclock in the afternoon and was changed back from Sling---- overnight.
:)

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2007, 08:59 AM
You could have the River plan for 25gb for $60, then it'll go down to 64/64 if you go over.

Or the flood which is $49.95 for the base cost +$11 or so for 11GB for a mth.

It'll stay at FLS/FLS, and you'll pay 1.02 a GB over the limit.

It not only depends on the plan you choose, it depends on whether you want a cap or not as well.

DeSade
12-10-2007, 09:07 AM
You can choose flood with a managed cap, you do not incur any extra data charges that way.

Greg
12-10-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm happy with a data cap - the most I've ever used in a month in over four years is 7 gigs, and more usually is around 5 gigs.

From the above replies it seems I can get what I want, ie the better upload speed, for about the same price I'm paying.

Thanks!

FoxyMX
12-10-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm happy with a data cap - the most I've ever used in a month in over four years is 7 gigs, and more usually is around 5 gigs.

From the above replies it seems I can get what I want, ie the better upload speed, for about the same price I'm paying.

Just remember, Greg, that you are only charged for what you actually use no matter what your cap is.

supergran
12-10-2007, 02:13 PM
We are on the River, with max of 10gig a month, and usually are only charged for around 5 gig amonth, and that is with 3 computers and operators, on pretty often. LOL We may not be on max up and down, can't remember, but our bill is usually around $38 a month.

I like that fact, you aren't tied into a contract, you don't have to change tolls, and great help desk.

B.M.
12-10-2007, 02:53 PM
The management at Xtra are certainly heavily into Cyber Masochism.

They may even have a death wish?

Yesterday I tried to help a mate with his E-Mails (Yes we found out later that the whole shebang was down) and wound up in (Iím only guessing) Somalia. (Could have sailed there faster) Well the woman at the other end of their help line didnít speak English and we didnít speak Swahili. So, stalemate.

Anyway, we reverted to Sign Language and gave Xtra the big two fingered salute and are both now with Kinect. No real problems so far and no Spam! Long may that last. :D

JJJJJ
13-10-2007, 10:10 AM

Horrors! Xnet won't give me a reason to have a grizzle.