PDA

View Full Version : Home network internet traffic logging - help!

NZMacka
11-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi guys,

I have a home network that runs around 6 PC's. Fro no other reason othe rthan I like tinkering around with electronics and PC's, I have been reading a bit on the net about internet usage and network monitoring. I have downloaded a couple of nice free (for home use) apps that work really well when used on one PC and monitor that PC's NIC...PRTG is one of them.

But... I'd like to monitor all the internet traffic at the router in my comms rack rather than jsut one PC. Heres the problem though, I bought a crappy Level One Router, and although it works OK, I can't get it to respond to a SNMP request. I have tried all of the options within the setup menu (which is not particulalry helpful!) without success. SNMP is normally easy to set up, but so far no luck with this router.

So I had another idea (well saw it on the net!) about setting up my network so that it goes:

TC Cable Modem ----> Router---->10/100 Hub---->100MB Switch--->PC's

The old PC that would do the 24/7 traffic monitoring would connect directly to the 10/100 hub, so that it could read all packets of data on the network. Obviously my switch is an unmanaged Linksys SR224, with no SNMP support, so I can't connect to that to get SNMP data.

What do you guys think of this setup? Workable or not really? I know its overkill, but I like trying new stuff and seeing if I can use some of the features included in the hardware I have!:lol:

SolMiester
11-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Put a couple of NIC's in the old pc, with the cable modem connected to one, the switch to the other and install a proxy server on the old box....

NZMacka
11-10-2007, 10:35 AM
G'day Solmeister.... thanks dor the reply...I wonder though, will this way allow the PRTG traffic software to operate correctly using packet sniffing or SNMP? Plus..."proxy server" hmmmm..... this may be at the ends of my capabilities! lol ;) How hard is this to setup/configure on a windows platform?

SolMiester
11-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Macka, there are any number of free proxy server software apps out there, just do a search on yahoo....
Now if all traffic is being routed via the proxy server you will also be able to check your usage.
We use surf patrol here at work, unfortunately it is not free, however to check sites, usage etc, you will need 1 point of reference hence using the old box as a proxy and with the right software you can get some niffty reports.

NZMacka
11-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks Solmeister, I appreciate your response, will have a search around and see what's out there... :)

Still appreciating any other advice as well! :)