PDA

View Full Version : Access point vs Router

Joe_Davies
11-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Hi, can someone explain to me the difference between a Wireless Access Point and a wireless Router please?

In blissful ignorance,

Joe Davies

Pete O'Neil
11-10-2007, 09:34 AM
A wireless AP purely provides wireless access to the network, where as a wireless router includes an AP and a router.

linw
11-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Funny, I was looking into this just a few days ago. There are plenty of sites that can explain (ain't google great) e.g. http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

But one of the differentiations is that an AP is capable of being put into many more modes than a wireless router while a typical home router is set up for Gateway mode, only.

Joe_Davies
11-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Right ... so I have a TelstraClear cable modem connected via RJ45 cable to my desktop (the ethernet card in my PC is not wireless). If I bought a Wireless Access Point, would I be able to connect my laptop (which has a wireless network adapter card on board) to the cable modem? And would I also be able to connect my son's DS to the cable modem?

Pete O'Neil
11-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Right ... so I have a TelstraClear cable modem connected via RJ45 cable to my desktop (the ethernet card in my PC is not wireless). If I bought a Wireless Access Point, would I be able to connect my laptop (which has a wireless network adapter card on board) to the cable modem? And would I also be able to connect my son's DS to the cable modem?
Depends on whether the cable modem also has an inbuilt router? Personally don't know a lot about TelstraClear cable so i couldn't say sorry. Assuming its just a standard modem then you would need a router to share the connection to multiple clients, thus a router with built in AP would be your best bet. If the modem does have a router built in then you could connect it straight into the AP but all clients would need to connect wirelessly.