PDA

View Full Version : Another Visit To Linux-Land

SurferJoe46
11-10-2007, 05:19 AM
OK...going for broke here again.

This time I am not using a computer with a lot of important things on it...but this is more for the learning experience...again.....

As it sits now, I have a very fresh install of XP-Pro/SP-2 and all updates/hotfixes but NOT WMP11.

A 40g hdd, DSL, LAN running good, shared printers/scanner/Zip Drive, AVG-Free, Spybot, TweakUI, Firefox, GTalk/GMail, CCleaner, SpywareBlaster.

Here's the next part:

I may want to add another 20g hdd and put PCLOS on it. I know it'll be big enough.

How do I make the partition correctly?

I need a step-by here as the last time I tried this, I lost a LOT..emphasis on LOT...of stuff I didn't want to lose!

Do I remove the XP <root> drive and then install PCLOS and then let them find each other later when I reinstall the master hdd?

...Or do I need to have both of the drive in and then install PCLOS on the smaller drive and let GRUB do it's thing?

I think last time I did this I goofed the partitions and had Ubuntu wipe the whole thing. I will not be using Ubuntu this time.

Those colorbars that represent the partitions are a little confusing.

Should I have the Dial-up modem installed at that time too..even though I don't use it now?

I am worried about dropping this unit into a dial-up only area and not being able to get online if I have the NIC set up first. Will PCLOS just find that it's been changed and default to dial out then?

This is why I want to get the dual-boot running well....as I understand that there are problems with phone modems in most L-based systems.

Shortcircuit
11-10-2007, 08:43 AM
OK...going for broke here again.

This time I am not using a computer with a lot of important things on it...but this is more for the learning experience...again.....

As it sits now, I have a very fresh install of XP-Pro/SP-2 and all updates/hotfixes but NOT WMP11.

A 40g hdd, DSL, LAN running good, shared printers/scanner/Zip Drive, AVG-Free, Spybot, TweakUI, Firefox, GTalk/GMail, CCleaner, SpywareBlaster.

Here's the next part:

I may want to add another 20g hdd and put PCLOS on it. I know it'll be big enough.

How do I make the partition correctly?

I need a step-by here as the last time I tried this, I lost a LOT..emphasis on LOT...of stuff I didn't want to lose!

Do I remove the XP <root> drive and then install PCLOS and then let them find each other later when I reinstall the master hdd?

...Or do I need to have both of the drive in and then install PCLOS on the smaller drive and let GRUB do it's thing?

I think last time I did this I goofed the partitions and had Ubuntu wipe the whole thing. I will not be using Ubuntu this time.

Those colorbars that represent the partitions are a little confusing.

Should I have the Dial-up modem installed at that time too..even though I don't use it now?

I am worried about dropping this unit into a dial-up only area and not being able to get online if I have the NIC set up first. Will PCLOS just find that it's been changed and default to dial out then?

This is why I want to get the dual-boot running well....as I understand that there are problems with phone modems in most L-based systems.

my only advice would be- disconnect the Windows HD while installing Linux is the only way to ensure it doesn't go pear shaped (as we both know!)

I guess you could make CD 1st boot, the intended Linux HD 2nd boot and when you install PClos from the live desktop it will show you the HD number and I think the capacity ie 20gig, so you should know you are installing on the right one. Windows installs also show as a different sort of partition if they are on the same HD and linux should warn you that a windows opsys is there before it destroys it. Of course this is all theoretical :)

I'd also see if PClos detect the dial-up modem- you never know and you could avoid some grief by getting it going 1st up.

mikebartnz
11-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Have the two HD installed and when it comes to partitioning choose Custom(I think) then make sure you choose to partition hdb assuming the 20gig is slave and the 40gig is master(hda).
Create a /boot of about 70MB, a swap of 1gig, a root / of about 3gig and /home the rest.
When you have done that you will be asked to reboot and then you choose use existing partitions.
Good luck.
If you remove the 40gig HD you will then have to muck around getting Grub or Lilo up and running properly.

kjaada
11-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Oh boy, PLEASE do not do the above./boot will stuff up yr duel boot.
Just leave XP and it will take care of itself.On yr 2nd HD create a HOME bout 1 GB
linux swap bout 500 MB ant the rest is / WHICH IS ROOT where yr OS will go.
When the install is finished then you will have duel booting with XP automatically
as long as you forget XP and it is installed first on yr setup.

kjaada
11-10-2007, 01:58 PM
You really should visit the linux lessons site I gave you yesterday.IT IS NOT A CON and it is a great site.Clk Linux for Beginners and you will be pleased with the
result.

SurferJoe46
11-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Just leave XP and it will take care of itself.On yr 2nd HD create a HOME bout 1 GB
linux swap bout 500 MB ant the rest is / WHICH IS ROOT where yr OS will go.
When the install is finished then you will have duel booting with XP automatically
as long as you forget XP and it is installed first on yr setup.

Wish me well...here goes again....hopefully my microwave won't melt and the cat won't get pregnant again. .

kjaada
11-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Here is a bit from the 1st lesson on the Linux lessons just to show you:
Getting Started with Linux - Lesson 1
An actual install

Most reputable PC resellers will hand you a stack of manuals when you buy your machine. But let's imagine that you got a hand-me-down PC from your big brother or sister or you picked up your PC at a garage sale or you got the PC from some other source that we really don't want to know about. You may be luckier than you thought. Linux will actually install more easily on older PCs than on some newer ones. Then again, it depends on how old it is. Don't try to install Linux on one of those old PCs with a monochrome monitor where everything comes out a yucky green color. That's TOO old!
Do you want a 'Dual-boot' system?

OK, with or without manuals, now it's time to install Linux. You've got your version of Linux and you just can't wait to use it. But there are a couple of questions you need to ask yourself.

1. Do you have another operating system installed?
2. Do you want to continue to use it?

If you want to keep an existing operating system, and install Linux as well, you will have what is known as a "dual-boot" system. That means that you have a PC that can use two different operating systems. I think that I should pause here and say that everything that you can do with your garden variety operating system, you can do with Linux. That means word processing, databases, spreadsheets, Internet browsers, e-mail, photo touch-ups, MP3, CD Players, cameras and then there are a lot of things that Linux has to offer on top of all that that other operating systems don't. The important thing is that you have the option to have both. Now, back to the install.
Downloading Linux

One of the most misunderstood concepts of Linux is that it is widely spoken of not so much as a "free" operating system but as a "freebie" operating system. 'What's the difference?' you may ask. The "free" ideally refers to the source code of Linux. Microsoft won't give you the source code to their products so you can make improvements (and we all know how much they need them), but the majority of Linux distributions come with the source code - or at least for the programs that aren't proprietary.

The "free" that most people think of is the free of "freebie" or "handout". This is somewhat fictitious. The truth is that there is nothing in this world that comes at zero cost. If you happen to have a fast Internet connection and a CD burner, you may download ISO images of the Linux distribution you have chosen (and that lets you have them free of charge), but it has cost you money for the CDs and your time (the costliest thing of all). Linux really should never be touted as a zero cost option, but better as an operating system that can be obtained and maintained at a very low cost.

If you don't happen to have a fast connection and a CD burner, you can still get Linux, though, at very little cost. You can pick up a nice boxed set from the makers of commercial distributions. Personal PC users can pick up a nice operating system for home use for around 30-50 US dollars. These usually come with 90 days of tech support, via email, in most cases. You can also get Linux from PC magazines that will often provide CDs of the major Linux distributions and some basic installation instructions for just the cost of the magazine.

Our pick for an example walk-through installation and setup with be Debian GNU/Linux.

[Previous] [Next]

SurferJoe46
11-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Well...the microwave and the cat are OK...I just lost the hdd.:badpc:

Ggaaaaaaccccckkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!.

I got to the install Live part and it froze,:badpc: then a reboot and it got even less...then....now I'm not even getting to the BSOD:badpc: ...it just stops at black and won't even light up the monitor.:badpc: .

kjaada
11-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I do not think I have ever seen anyone having all the problems you have had,not even with Windows.The live disk should have run as it does not use either HDD.

Shortcircuit
11-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Ooooooo, strangely like the kubuntu install I just did for my MCE, however I may have also fried the new CPU :(

I'm sure that makes you feel better SJ :D

SurferJoe46
11-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I do not think I have ever seen anyone having all the problems you have had,not even with Windows.The live disk should have run as it does not use either HDD.

Nope...it just sits there...all black and dark...the blinking light on the monitor doesn't even go green now.

I'm not suggesting it the L-based thing...it's just a screwed hdd...and it was only about 6 months old.

I'll get another one tomorrow when Staples opens in the AM.

Erayd
11-10-2007, 04:34 PM
...create a HOME bout 1 GB
linux swap bout 500 MB ant the rest is / WHICH IS ROOT where yr OS will go...And you worked this out how? 1GB is waaaaay too small, you will run out of space extremely quickly. I recommend you leave /home on the same partition as /, no need to keep it separate unless you have a very weird setup.

500MB swap is meaningless - how much ram is already in the system? What tasks are you wanting to do with it etc? The Windows rules of thumb for determining swap size don't apply here; Linux uses it differently.

SurferJoe46
11-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Ooooooo, strangely like the kubuntu install I just did for my MCE, however I may have also fried the new CPU :(

I'm sure that makes you feel better SJ :D

Yeah...a little happier at your problems..which of COURSE, I don't think are trivial. Sorry that it looks like I am celebrating your troubles..I am NOT!

CPU you say?!? Hmmmmmmmm.

Ewwwww! :waughh:

kjaada
11-10-2007, 04:41 PM
If Home is kept separate then on a reinstall all the Settings etc are there and the reinstall will come back to almost as it was before and if email folders are in home then emails also are retained..Also it is just a bit easier to access Home from another OS.

Myth
11-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Explain to me why. Then explain to me why my Laptop dual boots Linux and XP-Pro-SP1 with the following partitioning:
hda1 Windows
hda2 D Drive
hda3 Logical partition
hda4 /boot
hda5 swap
hda6 / (includes /home)

You can have a /boot partition. It won't screw up a dual boot system. If you read about grub or read your /boot/grub/grub.conf (or menu.lst) you will see that grub (situated in /boot) is what controls all bootable partitions. You will also see that if you select to boot Windows, grub then sets that windows partition as active so that windows will boot (makeactive)

SurferJoe46
11-10-2007, 05:00 PM
BTW: Where did the new version of PCLOS go that I was going to burn to the cd to save my settings?

I made the file..but never found it again.

Myth
11-10-2007, 05:23 PM
From memory (of what I browsed) remasterme will write it to the home directory of the user running the command

SurferJoe46
11-10-2007, 05:25 PM
gonna go looking..thanks

kjaada
11-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Explain to me why. Then explain to me why my Laptop dual boots Linux and XP-Pro-SP1 with the following partitioning:
hda1 Windows
hda2 D Drive
hda3 Logical partition
hda4 /boot
hda5 swap
hda6 / (includes /home)

You can have a /boot partition. It won't screw up a dual boot system. If you read about grub or read your /boot/grub/grub.conf (or menu.lst) you will see that grub (situated in /boot) is what controls all bootable partitions. You will also see that if you select to boot Windows, grub then sets that windows partition as active so that windows will boot (makeactive)

There are many ways to set up partitions and I found out after many installs
over a long learning period that disaster recovery is easier if a separate home is used.There are all sorts of traps for a newbie like the "hidden"files in HOME that are used to keep settings etc.Getting the best out of Linux is a long learning curve and some documentation leaves a bit to be desired.Getting to know grub is a reasonable test all on its own.

SurferJoe46
11-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Can you give me some sort of drill-down to find that folder?

cron.c and dkms and bonobo-activation don't make much sense....

Am I looking for a file?

Where does PCL hide them?

I looked in file:/home for a file called "remasterme" but it just iggys me all the time.

kjaada
11-10-2007, 05:57 PM
There is a point sticking in my mind about your folder and that is.If you made a "copy" of yr system with a few bruises and broken bits,will the CD come out clean or will the problems still be there ????Now for the folder,if you go to your home folder at the top left you will see "view" and from the dropdown menu ckick on
"show hidden folders" and your folder should be revealed with a lot more that are i
normally hidden.

mikebartnz
11-10-2007, 09:01 PM
What a load of rubbish I have done it with every dual boot I have done which is a few now and have never had a problem. You also have the partition sizes wrong.

SurferJoe46
12-10-2007, 04:09 AM
There is a point sticking in my mind about your folder and that is.If you made a "copy" of yr system with a few bruises and broken bits,will the CD come out clean or will the problems still be there ????Now for the folder,if you go to your home folder at the top left you will see "view" and from the dropdown menu ckick on
"show hidden folders" and your folder should be revealed with a lot more that are i
normally hidden.

Found the area..file isn't there..and I am in <root> and <user> mode too..so I guess it never got saved.