PDA

View Full Version : Broadband keeps disconnecting

Mercury
10-10-2007, 09:45 PM
At the time ihug were flogging off bits of their business - like satellite and trying to convince all their satellite customers to stay with them by changing to ADSL - we changed to ADSL.

I didn't have much hope of it working as we are around 5km from the exchange on a rural road, but to my surprise it did work. Not particularly fast, but it worked. We were using a D-Link broadband modem.

A year ago we upgraded to a wireless Netgear router. It had problems connecting so was replaced. The second one also had problems and was replaced. The third one still isn't perfect but we kept it.

Recently I figured we'd try a D-Link router. Maybe a different brand would work better.

The current story is:
- The D-link modem works. Connects immediately but is slow
- The Netgear router is faster but incredibly slow to connect. Every so often - sometimes several times a day, sometimes a week or two apart - it disconnects. If it doesn't reconnect in 15 minutes turning it off for half an hour and reconnecting usually works
- The D-link router is about the same speed as the netgear one, connects fast but has a tendency to disconnect and re-boot itself. Today it was apparently doing it every 15 minutes (according to someone who was playing games on-line)

We have removed most of the spare phone jackpoints around here - currently about 4 are still connected but only 2 in use with filters.

One filter runs a wired landline, the other filter runs the router, fax and four cordless phones.

Telecom did a line check a few months ago and said all was OK.

Currently connected through the netgear router with download speed of 736kbps, upload speed of 64 kbps (good for this area).

Reason for the router is we have someone living in the cottage using my account. Far easier to use wireless (even if we have to position it exactly to avoid tin roofs and a water tank) than run wires and leave my computer on 24x7.

Any ideas as to cause of problems?

Agent_24
11-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Sounds like problems with your line alright, if it's that slow.. 5Km isn't great for DSL either

But then D-Link aren't that great either - I think they are designed for a good line and anything a bit dodgy will stuff them up.

Do a test first, unplug everything, including filters and just plug your router into the line. see what happens, try with all of your routers

Mercury
11-10-2007, 11:02 AM
The joys of living in the blackhole of Auckland. 40 minutes to central Auckland, horizontal line of sight to the restaurant of the Sky Tower BUT Couriers take a week to deliver, routers and mobiles regularly get threatened with the cliff and pizzas mean going for a drive.

ADSL may be slow but it is better than dial up and a lot cheaper than other available options.

Any ideas on how to fix the line? Could it be internal wiring or is it the distance?

linw
11-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Like Agent says, you have to test with NOTHING else connected.

But this, "One filter runs a wired landline, the other filter runs the router, fax and four cordless phones.", is confusing me.

Are you saying that the router is being filtered? Or is it a two socket one with the router on the direct-connect socket? Important to clear this up!

Mercury
11-10-2007, 11:26 AM
One jackpoint with ADSL filter. Router uses ADSL side, phone line phone side.

Phone line comes out of wall, into filter, into fax, then off to 2 cordless base stations. The other two cordless phones use these base stations as well.

The other jackpoint at the far end of the house just has a wired phone on it. Got sick of running for the cordless phones.

Digby
11-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I had problems getting on to my broadband. I found that if I called someone say my ex misses or telecom 123 that was often enough to wake up the line ! I have been doing this for 6 months !

But then the other day I plugged my modem into a different phone jack and it goes 100% better !

On just about all the time !

Don't know if this is some help.

Regards

Digby

SolMiester
11-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I think its very interesting that the different routers give different performance.

I myself use Linksys because of the Cisco family connection.

With so many phone jacks in the house, i believe the quality of the Telecom signal deteriorates which is where having Telecom put in a splitter before the signal goes into the house benefits.

Have you tried the quality of signal on the other jack points to rule out a dud jack?

Mercury
11-10-2007, 04:17 PM
I've just checked the Netgear log. After the restart last night it went down once for 14 minutes at 1:30am this morning. Since then it has been running.

The trouble with it is when it works one does not want to play and upset it!

I'm fairly certain I bypassed filters in the past. But I hadn't thought to try a different phone jack - mainly because there is only one spot that works for the cottage (tin roofs, watertank and the cottage is a converted steel skyline garage so we need to direct the wireless through the fibrolite gable).

Waking it up by making a phone call is another option I haven't tried.

Will try these ideas when I have the network to myself.

joemac
11-10-2007, 09:06 PM
I am definatly no expert on this, but mine has been doing a similar thing and after a lot of swearing and googling, I eventually decided that my ARP cache was corrupted, so I turned it off and all seems well again. It might be worth looking into

Peter Coleman
12-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi the problem is your upload speed.At 64K it is the lowest it can get and still sync.The slightest problem and you loose the upload speed and so your total sync.Where abouts in Auckland are you.The up load speed should be a lot better than that.I would get Telecom out to check the line or the house.There may not be physical fault on the line,but there are a lot more things that effect dsl than something they can see on a physical test of the line

Peter

Ho Chi Minh
12-10-2007, 10:01 PM
You must do as the people before have said, disconnect everything and connect to bt box closest to where pair come in. It may even pay to disconect wiring going out from 1st bt box to the rest incase one of these wires are earthing out.
Check you have a 2 wire bt jack point if its 3 wire turf it and fit 2 wire.
Have you got sky,monitored burgulary alarm, electric fences nearby.
Check neigbours broad band. How far is the line from the roadside tb to your house is your pair under a driveway that is breaking up?
Is phone convo sweet no crackles?
Your Dlink will work out of the box they are sweet, unlikely its router (I have been wrong before)

Mercury
12-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi Peter,

Up in the hills near Waitakere Village. And no, we are not in Waitakere City but over the border in Rodney. It is about 5km to the Waitakere Exchange in McEntee Road. Rural roads with overhead lines all the way.

I was out all day today but heard there were connection problems in the cottage. Came upstairs just now and the netgear router was all go. As soon as I turned on the desktop machine - the router lost ADSL (I've seen it do this a couple of times before). Currently running on the D-link modem.

Have checked the log and there were no problems today so not sure what the cottage problem was - although the computer desk it is sitting on had moved 6 inches to the left (that may have done it - hit the line of sight through the watertank).

Also, when I started the laptop this morning it wouldn't connect until I rebooted the laptop - then it worked fine.

Will have a play with all the suggestions over the weekend.

RBH
13-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Hi.
I have just had a technician fix my line for what seems to be the same symptoms you are experiencing.

My broadband was OK for the first week of joining up ihug a few weeks ago but since then it was very difficult to connect and short connection times. At the same time the phone line was experiencing interference and crackling.

The phone line ended up totally disconnecting due to moisture in the line either in the jack point or under the house. There was definite evidence of a reaction with the copper wire to moisture in the jack point. This has not been the first time over the years the line has deteriorated and so am now looking at the wider issue of drainage to my site around and under the house.

I thought maybe your line may also have some moisture / dampness problems either up to the house or in the house line / jack point. If you open the jack point carefully you might want to check if you can see some sign of wires reacting to moisture. Although the evidence can be difficult to detect.

If you've had bad weather conditions like we've had this week it can cause unusual line conditions especially if there are problems with the line and dampness.

These are just some ideas from my experience. Hope you find a solution. It's a pain when these things don't work like they should.

By the way I have a line splitter with my cordless phone and fax connected into my line filter which also has the adsl plugged into the slot alongside. These are the only devices in my house - all on the one jack point.

Richard.

Ho Chi Minh
14-10-2007, 08:31 AM
How are you getting on Merc?

Peter Coleman
14-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Hi Merc,ring Telecom and get them to get someone out to look at the problem.Actually it may even be me as that is all my area.Whereabouts in Waitakere are you,I should be able to give you a reasonable idea what sort of speed you should get,but ring Telecom and report it,we should be able to fix it,I think.Best of luck

Peter

Ho Chi Minh
15-10-2007, 07:29 AM
I have customers in and around Waitaikere village and their ASDL is fine. I dont know how far you are out of the village.
Its highly likely the prob is between your terminal box and your house.

Ho

Term_X
15-10-2007, 12:52 PM
i had exactly the same problems and transfield techies said the line between myself and the local box was affected by moisture. i had a lot of line noise on the phone (crackling etc) and my broadband synch speeds were fluctuating between 64k and 2000 k (im on a max speed plan) with constant disconnects. after it was fixed, my speed remained constant at about 3800 kbs down and 600 kbs up (im about 4km from the local exchange) and naturally no more constant disconnects! :) :)

Mercury
15-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Latest update.

Netgear router was down this morning so ran an extension cord to a different phone jack and plugged in the D-Link one. It connected immediately.

My daughter in the UK came on line on Skype. There's a big problem here at the moment that we really need to talk to her about. Just as we started... guess what? The router went off! Couldn't connect either of them so ended up installing the D-Link modem on the laptop (which is what Skype is on). Connected immediately by which time she had gone to bed.

Seems to have eliminated the jack from the equation anyway.

Been out all day. Netgear was working by the time we got home (on the original study jack).

Life's a bit messy at the moment so this problem is taking time to solve.

Mercury
16-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Update:

I may have found the cause of the problem thanks to Peter's help. I PMd him with our address and therein lies the problem. Half a km down the road and we'd be fine, past the junction box on the corner and there are technical difficulties due to distance - stuff to make voice calls work better upsets ADSL. I am not the only one up here with ADSL problems.

I've always known we were borderline due to distance and the speed we receive. This is apparently affecting the reliability as well. But at least we get it.

For other rural users with problems my suggestion would be to stop and chat with the techs on the side of the road when you see them. If I'd done this months ago...

Peter said he'd see if he can find a solution so we live in hope (Along with the hope that one day pizzas will be delivered).

Every so often I've looked at alternatives to ADSL. We've used the cellphone as a modem on the laptop when away but that is very expensive and seems slower than dialup. Used for email only.

There probably are other solutions but I have yet to find an affordable one. Wireless is out of reach. If we offered to have a wireless transmitter mast in the backyard some firm may be keen. But with the number of users in line of sight it would probably be far too expensive.

Many thanks to Press F1 for the help. We may not as yet have found a solution but knowing the cause reduces the frustration - and time spent looking for the cause.

iwalmsley
18-10-2007, 06:41 PM
If it is a problem affecting a large area, then there is a potential solution using commercial RF equipment. If you can establish a reliable aDSL connection at someone's house reasonably close, (ie within a couple of hundred metre's, you could set up a wireless bridge between your house and theirs.

Alternatively, if the aDSL modem is giving adequate performance, but you need the wireless as well, then just use more than one device together.