PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive problem

Goldenbot
10-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Morning all, new to this forum jazz, seems helpful though... got a small problem hoping someone out there can help. Got a freecom external hard drive, has always worked fantastically, no problems nothing. a few days ago, i dont know if i pressed something or did something, but now windows (xp) wont read the external hard as an external hard drive.

basically when i double click the drive to open in a normal folder as always, windows prompts me, saying what shall i open it with, as if it was an unrecognised file, obviously nothing works, so i have to right click it and press open from there, where it works....

i had a few bugs on the system so i re-formatted the drive and cleared everything but still the external hard driver is the same. i even saved the data on there and formated the external drive, same problem. tried it today at work and its working perfectly. so obviously the problems on my pc.

PLEASE HELP its getting too annoying

beeswax34
10-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Under Disk management, is it recognizing the drive and assigning it a drive letter (D:, E: for e.g.)?

Goldenbot
10-10-2007, 09:36 PM
yes its drive (D)

Speedy Gonzales
10-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Try some of the tips here (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/disable-autoplay-of-audio-cds-and-usb-drives/)

Goldenbot
10-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks mate, that link looks like that is exactly what i need, will try this afternoon.

Speedy Gonzales
10-10-2007, 10:14 PM
No worries, HTH :)

Goldenbot
10-10-2007, 10:56 PM
thank u again speedy, please if there is anyone else with any other suggestions, please feel free as I would like to try all.

linw
11-10-2007, 11:52 AM
In Device Manager, is it listed as a USB Mass Storage Device?

Rt click/Properties and what does XP think it is here. For example, under General, is it Type = Local Disk? NTFS FS?

Shortcircuit
11-10-2007, 12:00 PM
If those dont work, try this....

switch off your comp, unplug the power lead from the back of the box and leave off for as long as possible (preferably overnight)

In the morning plug in power lead, switch on and boot up comp as per normal.

Seems windows sometimes spins out... something to do with residual power charge in Mboard or something.

Sounds like rubbish but fixed the problem I had with my Maxtor and lets face it- its a harmless thing to try if it does the trick

linw
11-10-2007, 01:17 PM
A friend fixed his USB problem this way, too! Certainly can't do any harm, as you say.