PDA

View Full Version : sys disk

rumpty
10-10-2007, 08:18 PM
In days of yore, around the time of W95 - 98, when preparing a fresh install of Windows on a new partition, the drill seemed to be that the format command from DOS required the /s switch. As in <format c: /s>

That doesn't appear to be mentioned these days in instructions for installing Windows. Is it still required, or am I just confused? Well yes, I am.

Speedy Gonzales
10-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Depends what version of Windows you're talking about.

2K/XP and maybe Vista are bootable cd's, and should take you to the install screen.

So, you can format / partition a hdd.

You sure you're not talking about floppies, not hdd's?

wainuitech
10-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey it still works to :lol: Just had to install a Win98 today, I really felt like shooting the PC and putting it out of its misery.

Poor old thing sounded like it was not going to last the format - the concrete mixer sounded smoother than the hard drive :lol: but the customer wanted his 98 reinstalled.

johnd
10-10-2007, 08:35 PM
As I understand it <format c: /s> will add the DOS files command.com, io.sys and msdos.sys to the disk after formating it. This will make the disk bootable before the OS is installed so it is not needed if you intend to install (say) Win98. Those 3 files are the boot files for DOS only - both streams of WIndows (9x and NT) use other files to boot.

rumpty
10-10-2007, 08:52 PM
As I understand it <format c: /s> will add the DOS files command.com, io.sys and msdos.sys to the disk after formating it. This will make the disk bootable before the OS is installed so it is not needed if you intend to install (say) Win98. Those 3 files are the boot files for DOS only - both streams of WIndows (9x and NT) use other files to boot.

So they are nothing to do with making the disk bootable AFTER windows is installed? I see those three are all present in my XP installation in the root directory. Are they there to provide the Command Prompt when required?

johnd
10-10-2007, 08:55 PM
So they are nothing to do with making the disk bootable AFTER windows is installed?

A full install of any version of Windows is a standalone process - it doesn't need any boot files pre-installed.

rumpty
10-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Depends what version of Windows you're talking about.

2K/XP and maybe Vista are bootable cd's, and should take you to the install screen.

So, you can format / partition a hdd.

You sure you're not talking about floppies, not hdd's?

No, definitely hdds. Just re-read an article in Nov '98 PC World about partitioning and formatting, and it says the /s switch is to copy the OS to the hard drive. Presumably DOS, then.

rumpty
10-10-2007, 08:59 PM
A full install of any version of Windows is a standalone process - it doesn't need any boot files pre-installed.

Fine, that's really what I wanted confirmed.

drcspy
11-10-2007, 04:09 AM
all the /s switch does/did is enable the harddisk or floppy so formatted to be booted.....which as has been stated here is unnecessary if you were running an install .......you can simply do a 'normal' format without the /s switch and run the install perfectly well