PDA

View Full Version : Setting Dynalink Password

B.M.
10-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Could someone please give me a clue as to how to set a password on a Dynalink RTA 1025w Wireless Router/Modem?

Iíd just like to stop the kids next door from using my bandwidth. :D

ISP say to contact Dynalink and Dynalink are too busy to answer their phone.:waughh:

Myth
10-10-2007, 08:01 PM
A password will only give admin rights to the settings. The kids next door are accessing your bandwidth because you don't have [either] WEP or WPA enabled (both of which stop those outside your network from accessing your broadband). WPA is better :)

As for how to do it, sorry I can't help there as I don't know Dynalink routers

Speedy Gonzales
10-10-2007, 08:07 PM
I would check whatever this other wireless device is (whatever you're trying to connect to the router), WHAT kind of encryption it can use

Hopefully, its something better than WEP.

Or if its got ethernet use that instead.

I would get the manual (http://www.dynalink.co.nz/cms/uploads/file/Products/Rta1025w/Usermanual.pdf)

B.M.
10-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks guys, yes I did see the manual Speedy but as itís 18megs I figured it would take me all year to read it. :D

Speedy Gonzales
10-10-2007, 08:34 PM
It may pay to find out, what kind of encryption the other wireless device supports FIRST

Well, this is what have to do for WPA

For WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) WiFi-Protected Access: The WPA is suitable for enterprises. It must be used in conjunction with an authentication server such as RADIUS to provide centralized access control and management.

It can provides stronger encryption and authentication solution than others WPA mode.

WPA Group Rekey Interval: Type in the time for the WAP group rekey interval. The unit is second.

RADIUS Server IP Address: RADIUS Server is a protocol for carrying authentication, authorization, and configuration information between a Network Access Server which desires to authenticate its links and a shared Authentication Server. Please type in the IP Address for the RADIUS Server.

RADIUS UDP Port: Except for the IP address of the RADIUS Server, you have to enter the port number for the server. Port 1812 is the reserved RADIUS-authentication port described in RFC 2138.

Earlier RADIUS clients use port 1945. The default value will be shown on this box. You can keep and use it.

RADIUS Share Secret: A share secret is like a password, which is used between IAS and the specific RADIUS client to verify identity. Both IAS and the RADIUS client must be use the same shared secret for successful communication to occur.

Type in the words for the share secret. Data Encryption (WPA): Select the data encryption for the WPA mode. There are three types that you can choose, TKIP, AES, TKIP+AES.

TKIP takes the original master key only as a starting point and derives its encryption keys mathematically from this master key. Then it regularly changes and rotates the encryption keys so that the same encryption key will be never used twice.

AES provides security between client workstations operating in ad hoc mode. It uses a mathematical ciphering algorithm that employs variable key sizes of 128, 192 or 256 bits.

TKIP+AES combines the features and functions of TKIP and AES. After finished settings, click Apply for activation.

And this is what you have to do for WPA PSK

WiFi-Protected Access: WPA-PSK is useful for small places such as home environment without having authentication servers.

It allows the use of manually-entered keys or passwords and is designed to be easy to set up for home users. Format:

Choose the typing method of encryption key. You have to click either Hexadecimal digits or ASCII characters and type the keys on
the field of Pre-Share Key. Pre-Share Key: Please type the key to be between 8 and 63 characters, or 64 hexadecimal digits. Only the devices with a matching key that you set here can join this network.

WPA Group Rekey Interval: Type in the time for the WAP group rekey interval. The unit is second. Data Encryption (WPA): Select the data encryption for the WPA mode. There are three types that you can choose, TKIP, AES, TKIP+AES.

TKIP takes the original master key only as a starting point and derives its encryption keys mathematically from this master key. Then it regularly changes and rotates the encryption keys so that the same encryption key will be never used twice.

AES provides security between client workstations operating in ad hoc mode. It uses a mathematical ciphering algorithm that employs variable key sizes of 128, 192 or 256 bits.

TKIP+AES combines the features and functions of TKIP and AES. After finished settings, click Apply for activation.

johnd
10-10-2007, 08:52 PM
As a quick solution while you figure out why not add MAC address filtering as this may stop them. This is reasonably simple - find out the hardware addresses of the network cards (ipconfig /all) and include this in the appropriate place in the browser interface to the router.

beeswax34
10-10-2007, 09:33 PM
As a quick solution while you figure out why not add MAC address filtering as this may stop them. This is reasonably simple - find out the hardware addresses of the network cards (ipconfig /all) and include this in the appropriate place in the browser interface to the router.

Wait till Demon Hunter gets here to say that MAC filtering is useless. That guy can't understand that something is better just nothing. Never come across a more illogical PC user.

B.M.
11-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Yep, Iím all for keeping things simple. Iím not protecting Cullenís surplus. ;)

Itís a little bit like my Anti-Virus. Iíve kept it up to date and run it religiously for years and it hasnít caught of found anything in all that time.

Makes one wonder. Bit like feeding a watchdog that doesnít even bark. :D

linw
11-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Your router is capable of WPA encryption. Do you know how to access the router's setup menus? You put its IP address (default is 192.168.1.1) in your browser's address bar. The userid and password is probably admin/admin.

Go here for more detail http://tinyurl.com/2uxocd

When your PC tries to connect it should prompt for the pass key you entered into the router. Type it in and connect. That should be it.

Good luck!

B.M.
11-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Your router is capable of WPA encryption. Do you know how to access the router's setup menus? You put its IP address (default is 192.168.1.1) in your browser's address bar. The userid and password is probably admin/admin.

Go here for more detail http://tinyurl.com/2uxocd

When your PC tries to connect it should prompt for the pass key you entered into the router. Type it in and connect. That should be it.

Good luck!

Many thanks everyone. That link you gave linw solved things in no time. :thumbs: