PDA

View Full Version : Ihug's payment policy

Speedy Gonzales
10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I was previously with Ihug on Dialup, and terminated / closed my account with Ihug on 28/9.

On 28/9, I signed up with Xnet. I was up to date with Ihug with payments.

When I rang Ihug to close my account, the guy I spoke to said thats fine.

You're up to date. You wont have to pay us anymore.

That was fine with me.

BUT, on 8/10, I received an email from Ihug (on my old Ihug email account, even tho I had closed my account).

(I forgot to change my Outlook email account to Xnet, when I changed to Xnet), for a final payment for $18.07 from 1/10/07 - 28/10/07.

The prob is, as above I closed my account in Sept, and I was still receiving emails in October asking for payment. I rang Ihug on 8/10 and queried this.

All they could say was I could still use the old Ihug account (using dialup until 28/10). And even tho I had closed my acct on 28/9, it'll still be open (to use) until 28/10/07!

I said I dont want to use it (since I also terminated my Telecom acct / phone line I was using for Ihug, on the same day (28/9).

And NOW Ihug expect me to pay them from 1/10 -28/10, (even tho I'm no longer with them, and I wont be using their ISP for anything).

Even tho the final payment is small ($18.07), thats not the point, the point is should I pay this $18.07?

Since I'm no longer with them, I havent dialled up to Ihug since 28/9. And because I didnt change my email details in Outlook, that was how I found out I had this final payment to pay.

Can an ISP do this (charge you for something, you wont be using)??

pctek
10-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Typical. They stuffed up.
Ring them back, point this out.
Ignore all future bills.
If they persist take it to the Disputes Tribunal.

Speedy Gonzales
10-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Thats what I thought.

Well I wont be getting any more emails (even if they send me more - they send bills by email, not post, unless you pay extra), because I've removed my Ihug email info from both email clients.

And replaced it with Xnet's.

I might do that now (ring them again). Ta!

qazwsxokmijn
10-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Ignore Ihug. They're bastards who lies, hires monkeys as support people and charges you unfair fees.

Term_X
10-10-2007, 06:03 PM
ive had several rebillings with Ihug, you might have to persist with them ammending the account correctly.

Speedy Gonzales
10-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Well the only amendment will be $18.70 -> 0.

Since I shouldnt be paying for something I'm not using.

--Wolf--
10-10-2007, 06:33 PM
I remember when I finished up with Xtra, I got switched over to Xnet the day before the new month started for Xtra. And guess what, I got charged for that whole month ($50 odd).

A few phone calls, nasty threats and bad words work with Xtra, should work with anyone else. Also, ask to (not trying to be racist) speak to someone English - every time I've dealt with a naturally English speaking person they've been less....strict. Prolly not the right word, but they seem either more interested or more forgiving than 'others'

robbyp
10-10-2007, 08:57 PM
I remember when I finished up with Xtra, I got switched over to Xnet the day before the new month started for Xtra. And guess what, I got charged for that whole month ($50 odd).

A few phone calls, nasty threats and bad words work with Xtra, should work with anyone else. Also, ask to (not trying to be racist) speak to someone English - every time I've dealt with a naturally English speaking person they've been less....strict. Prolly not the right word, but they seem either more interested or more forgiving than 'others'

I think telecom require a months notice prior to the cancellation date, and I believe it is normal practive for some service providers, that you have to give them sufficent notice. It sucks, but it is usually in their terms and conditions.

Regarding ihug/vodafones billing, it sounds like the poster cancelled the account on the start day of the new billing cycle (eg the 28th of the month), so have been billed for that billing cycle. If they had cancelled the day before (eg the last day of the previous billing cycle), they may not have been billed. I suspect that telecom will also bill ihug, so ihug will need to pass on the cost, so it is unlikely they will give you a refund. I wouldn't ignore the invoices, as they will only take it to a collection agency and add on fees. I would discuss the issue with them to get it resolved, they may wipe it or reduce it to their actual cost price if you talk to the right person.

Just reread your post and see that you did receive confirmation from ihug verbally that you didn't have anything owing, so you should be alright and not have to pay. The only problem is if they dispute this, which is one of the problems with talking to a helpdesk on the phone rather than emailing them. Did you get a case number when you cancelled the account?