PDA

View Full Version : USB Wireless Adapater or PCI Adapter

xpcoe
09-10-2007, 10:16 AM
I am trying to setup Wireless network and will have modem/ wireless router downstairs and PC upstairs.

Which is better to use in PC to connect wirelessly to the router downstairs. Is it better to go with USB wireless adapter or a PCI card to go into PC with wireless antenna.

Which will give better connectivity?

Thanks

DigitalMessiah
09-10-2007, 10:18 AM
USB is pretty good nowadays... However I THINK that something directly into your motherboard may be better.. I think that technology is more outdated though

Honestly, I prefer USB of anything, I've just never messed with Wi-Fi outside of a Laptop with it already built in

Pete O'Neil
09-10-2007, 10:21 AM
In the majority of cases USB wifi adapters have pretty crappy antenna and generally don't have the range of the PCI alternatives. Also normally the antenna on PCI adapters can be removed and replace with a unit offering greater range.

In your case it might best to get a PCI adapter as it should get better range and a stronger signal.

xpcoe
09-10-2007, 10:23 AM
In the majority of cases USB wifi adapters have pretty crappy antenna and generally don't have the range of the PCI alternatives. Also normally the antenna on PCI adapters can be removed and replace with a unit offering greater range.

In your case it might best to get a PCI adapter as it should get better range and a stronger signal.

Thanks Pete..will go with PCI