PDA

View Full Version : MX Record Hosting?

FlyingPete
09-10-2007, 08:11 AM
I currently have my own static IP (OK DHCP reservation) and my own domains names.

Currently I have the MX record for two of my domains I use for email directed to my 'static' IP. After much messing around I got my ISP to set a correct reverse lookup on my IP to avoid the evils of SORBs and other anti dynamic IP services.

I am still however having some issues. This and the fact that with a recent change in employer offering a very good Broadband staff deal, I get my 'static' IP but alas no reverse lookup.

So what I am looking for is someone who will host my MX record and push the messages to my server (MS Exchange 2003) and allow me to relay back via their server to avoid my messages being rejected. I don't really want to use POP as my Exchange server does not have a POP collector.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

berryb
09-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Don't the company your domains are registered/hosted with do this? You can't have DNS setup on your domains?

Erayd
09-10-2007, 01:40 PM
I currently have my own static IP (OK DHCP reservation) and my own domains names.

Currently I have the MX record for two of my domains I use for email directed to my 'static' IP. After much messing around I got my ISP to set a correct reverse lookup on my IP to avoid the evils of SORBs and other anti dynamic IP services.

I am still however having some issues. This and the fact that with a recent change in employer offering a very good Broadband staff deal, I get my 'static' IP but alas no reverse lookup.You don't need a reverse dns record for this - hell, you don't even need a static IP, as long as your MX records end up pointing at the right place. I ran a mailserver from home for years, and never had any trouble with it. You should _never_ have any trouble with receiving email unless your DSL connection goes down.

If you are having trouble sending, just set your MTA to relay everything through your ISP's SMTP server - your problem will suddenly vanish, yet you will still have almost all the benefits of a local SMTP server.

So what I am looking for is someone who will host my MX record and push the messages to my server (MS Exchange 2003) and allow me to relay back via their server to avoid my messages being rejected. I don't really want to use POP as my Exchange server does not have a POP collector.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!Why do you need this? With the existing setup, the only thing you need to change is the relay path - just set exchange to relay all messages through your ISP's SMTP server rather than delivering them directly. The MX record should still point at your dsl connection.

berryb
09-10-2007, 03:34 PM
When I re read the post I agree with Bletch if the problem is that you get your outgoing Mail rejected. Send it to your ISP smtp server.

FlyingPete
10-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Sweet - thanks for the help!

My main issues historically have been sending messages, SORBs blocks and the like due to the fact I had a source IP in a dynamic range, my DNS host at the time (different from my ISP) would not allow my Exchange server to relay via them, i had to send out directly.