PDA

View Full Version : format!!!!!! xp help!!

jase
08-10-2007, 10:36 PM
hi guys i need to format my pc {windows xp} but i cannot find my windows xp disk!!!!

can i borrow another disk of a freind and just type in my key code insted??????

bevy121
08-10-2007, 10:49 PM
yep = its your product license key thats the important bit :)

Morpheus1
09-10-2007, 06:09 AM
there are free programs that will find the license key for you, without the disk. google.

Renmoo
09-10-2007, 06:50 AM
there are free programs that will find the license key for you, without the disk. google.
He (oopsy, not being PC) actually just wants to know whether he needs the disk, that's all. :)

pcuser42
09-10-2007, 08:12 AM
You can use another disc, however it must be the same version (if you have XP Pro, you can't use an XP Home disc, for example; service packs are important too, as is whether it is retail, OEM or upgrade).

Agent_24
09-10-2007, 08:34 AM
download an ISO of your CD from somewhere (torrent/rapidshare), if you've got your own key but lost the CD I say that's legal

wainuitech
09-10-2007, 09:26 AM
download an ISO of your CD from somewhere (torrent/rapidshare), if you've got your own key but lost the CD I say that's legal
Microsoft would say different ? wanna call them and ask;)

I know exactly what you are saying, its the licence key thats important, but I doubt MS would agree.

Agent_24
09-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Yeah I don't think they would either...

DigitalMessiah
09-10-2007, 09:59 AM

Completely legal, one of the few ways bittorrent and other "piracy" sites get away with it is the disclaimer saying that "This is only if you ACTUALLY bought the game, and own your own CD key, yadda yadda" when 90% of the people are pirating it, but that simple disclaimer avoids the sites a lot of legal issues

in conclusion, you can legally download a copy of the operating system YOU ALREADY OWN, and burn it to a disk for reinstallation

Agent_24
09-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Like you said, that's just the torrent site covering their ass, I still don't think M$ would approve, even if it does make complete sense that you're not actually pirating, in effect just downloading a backup copy

DigitalMessiah
09-10-2007, 10:12 AM
If microsoft is as cheap enough to charge you for tech support, and force you to buy a new copy of XP (if you prefer the legal route) after 5 reformats/installations ... I doubt they'd approve of this either... But I refuse to fill the coffers of bill gates or his lackey's anymore lol

wainuitech
09-10-2007, 02:13 PM
If microsoft is as cheap enough to charge you for tech support, and force you to buy a new copy of XP (if you prefer the legal route) after 5 reformats/installations ... I doubt they'd approve of this either... But I refuse to fill the coffers of bill gates or his lackey's anymore lol

Thats an interesting comment regarding the 5 reformats or installs ?
If the hardware has not been changed then theres usually no worry, it should reactivate without problems.
I offten reformat /install two workshop PC's, due to damaged files from fixing customers PC's. Both have been done monthly this year - thats 10 times this year alone - no worrys at all.

The trouble with downloading an OS is theres always a high chance it wont be 100%. At least on the CD theres more of a chance it wont be faulty.
If you can prove to MS that you have the legal product key, they normally will replace the XP cd at very little cost.

DigitalMessiah
09-10-2007, 02:19 PM
It said I ran out of activations after 5 times, Aye, I've changed some hardware here and there with it, but it's still the same mobo, still the same HD, and still the same case and PSU

I still use my cd key and xp pro disc with SP2, but I have a nifty little thing that bypasses that activation garbage.

NOTE TO ALL: Do not ask me for it as I will not tell you what it is due to rules and regulations of this forum

Agent_24
09-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I have upgraded my PC so much with 4 different motherboards, and probably 5 of everything else, always using the same old XP home OEM that came with my celeron from warehouse stationary

Always works when I try to activate, and I've done it a million times, sometimes I have to ring M$ but it always works

and I know what you're thinkging - OEM shouldn't work on anything - but this is not one of those crappy HP customised things, the PC was in fact normal, using standard parts and the CD was just the normal OEM windows you can buy at the shop - the kind that says you must buy hardware with it to be legal.

wainuitech
09-10-2007, 02:49 PM
It said I ran out of activations after 5 times, Aye, I've changed some hardware here and there with it, but it's still the same mobo, still the same HD, and still the same case and PSU

I still use my cd key and xp pro disc with SP2, but I have a nifty little thing that bypasses that activation garbage.

NOTE TO ALL: Do not ask me for it as I will not tell you what it is due to rules and regulations of this forum
:thumbs: If its the same program that Microsoft supplies, its for system builders that can download /install windows updates along with various other tasks that normally require the OS to be activated - without the need for activating the OS.

A MS tech directed me to where to get it one day on one of their Training / roadshow meetings.

Agent_24
09-10-2007, 04:13 PM
:thumbs: If its the same program that Microsoft supplies, its for system builders that can download /install windows updates along with various other tasks that normally require the OS to be activated - without the need for activating the OS.

A MS tech directed me to where to get it one day on one of their Training / roadshow meetings.

MICROSOFT give you a tool like that? w.t.f.!

I just use AntiWPA when I want to 'activate'

wainuitech
09-10-2007, 04:24 PM
MICROSOFT give you a tool like that? w.t.f.!

I just use AntiWPA when I want to 'activate'

Tricks of the trade so to speak - you just about have to jump through hoops of course to get it, agree to every thing etc.
As I mentioned it was a MS tech that gave me instructions on how to get it, the MS roadshows / training are worth while sometimes - hell I went to a couple meeting when Vista came out and just for attending every one got both 32 & 64 bit Vista ultimate for FREE. Also got office 2007 Pro for free to just for attending another meeting. Who say MS don't give stuff away.