PDA

View Full Version : Reputable Computer builder in Chch

supergran
08-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Am I allowed to ask here who you would recommend to build a pretty basic box up in Christchurch? If not, please delete this post, but have priced one and was given a price, and was just wondering if it was overpriced or not. TIA

Metla
08-10-2007, 07:48 PM
You could always publish the quote, no need to name names, and we can rip it apart...uh...I mean tell you if its in teh ballpark.

wainuitech
08-10-2007, 07:51 PM
You could always publish the quote, no need to name names, and we can rip it apart...uh...I mean tell you if its in teh ballpark.
You payed WHAT for it - :eek:

Serious, post the parts / $$$ you'll soon find out if its OK or over priced.

Metla - I'm sure that was a slip of the keyboard eh! rip ....;)

Jen
08-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Yip, post up the quote and people can let you know whether that is a reasonable price. Cheapest price isn't everything, as after sales service plays a big part.

It also wouldn't hurt to mention your intended use with the basic computer eg just word, internet and email, or some photo or video editing etc.

supergran
08-10-2007, 08:11 PM
I wanted XP installed, 1 gig ram, modem for broadband, Dvd burner, as I burn heaps of photos to that, rather than print them, and everything else just normal.

Not a gamers machine, as I only surf the net, edit pictures, upload pics etc, but needed the ram for Photoshop Elements, as at present, using that nearly stops my computer, running 512 ram. Yes, I do use Microsoft Office or Open Office occasionally, but not daily.

At present I have a Compaq Preserio S5020AN, running AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and yes I know, a supermarket computer, but it has been great for nearly 4 years.

Quote was all up around $1000 just for the tower and internals. No keyboard, monitor etc as I have all that.

Jen
08-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Did they give you the actual make and model numbers for the parts eg motherboard, DVD writer, and what sort of processor (CPU) will be used, what wattage power supply?

wainuitech
08-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Can you post back full spec's of the quote; - Every thing

What type of Motherboard - onboard graphic/graphic card
Hard drive size
CPU size

supergran
08-10-2007, 08:16 PM
No, it wasn't broken down, and was only an approximate price, so guess I should get a solid quote before I ask here. I was just curious if that was around normal, as I would be paying cash, but don't want to be ripped off either.

I have done business with this firm before, and they have been great, but was curious

John H
08-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Am I allowed to ask here who you would recommend to build a pretty basic box up in Christchurch? If not, please delete this post, but have priced one and was given a price, and was just wondering if it was overpriced or not. TIA

I use AID Computers, 123 Blenheim Road. I have used them for years for builds, repairs, and additions where I wasn't confident to do it myself. They have been great for me. Not sure where they sit on the pricing scale, but I have always felt I had value for money, so that suits me fine.

pctek
08-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Rob99 lives in Ch/Ch and does PCs. PM him.

As for price we can't say whether or not thats expensive.
Probably. Unless they put Corsair RAM in it, a quad core CPU and a snazzy expensive case with huge Enermax PSU etc.

Its what brand compaonents go in it anyway that matters. Quality, reliable parts.
ASUS motherboards for instance. Seagate hard drives. And so on.

ANd what warranty did they give you on those parts? Should be manufacturers warranty at least. Like 3 yrs on board and CPU. 5 yrs on HDD. Etc.

And whats the shops after sales service like?

Jen
08-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Well email them and ask for a detailed quote including the make and model number of all the components and then post it back here. Without knowing the quality of the parts it is a bit hard to give an indication on a fair price. :)

supergran
08-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Ok, I guess it was a silly question after all, without having all the data I needed.

PCTek the last one I bought from them years ago didn't have really snazzy stuff in it, but it went. They aren't a computer store, but a repair shop.

But when I seen the Compaq complete brand new, with everything for $900 I bought it, and have been pleased with it, but it gets a hard time with photo editing now, so thought it was time to update, before I get stuck with Vista.

Thanks again everyone for your help, I will try and have the data on hand next time I ask a question.

supergran
08-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Good idea Jen, will try and find an email addy for them.

Myth
08-10-2007, 09:20 PM
I wanted XP installed, 1 gig ram, modem for broadband, Dvd burner, as I burn heaps of photos to that, rather than print them, and everything else just normal. Apologies for being the pedant, but I just thought I should clarify something for you in your post. Internal modems are generally for dial-up and connect direct to a phone jack (generally). For broadband, one would use a NIC (network interface card) to connect to their [external] adsl modem or router via netwrork cable:)

george12
08-10-2007, 10:44 PM
It sounds like it's a bit expensive to me, but that's without knowing nearly enough details to know for sure.

You should be able to get something good for around $800. I may be wrong though, so get a detailed list of parts.

Greg
09-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Internal modems are generally for dial-up and connect direct to a phone jack (generally).But not always. I've been using my ADSL internal PSI unit for about 4 years and it's effective and pure simplicity.

Myth
09-10-2007, 06:21 AM
But not always. I've been using my ADSL internal PSI unit for about 4 years and it's effective and pure simplicity.Hence I put the word 'generally' in that sentence :)

pctek
09-10-2007, 09:50 AM
PCTek the last one I bought from them years ago didn't have really snazzy stuff in it, but it went. They aren't a computer store, but a repair shop.

But when I seen the Compaq complete brand new, with everything for $900 I bought it, and have been pleased with it,

A repair shop IS a computer shop.
I'm a repair shop. I still sell/build new PCs.

As for the Compaq, lucky you, you got components that didn't have a problem.

But its pot luck whether or not you get good components in them, maybe you will, maybe you won't.
You're still better off getting a custom system.

You might not be so lucky next time.

TideMan
09-10-2007, 07:25 PM
I've used TasTech (http://www.tastech.co.nz/) for several years and always had a good deal. The guy Grant is a bit uncommunicative (like all computer people I've met, he's a bit socially challenged, and he talks in a series of grunts ;) ), but he seems to know his business and he doesn't use enough words to bull**** you. Doesn't much like you taking stuff back - he takes it as a personal insult - but eventually he'll replace it if it's faulty. Good website, too.

supergran
09-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Apologies for being the pedant, but I just thought I should clarify something for you in your post. Internal modems are generally for dial-up and connect direct to a phone jack (generally). For broadband, one would use a NIC (network interface card) to connect to their [external] adsl modem or router via netwrork cable:)

Hey, I am blonde, LOL, and I know they use a network card, wouldn't of added the interface bit, but wasn't thinking before typing obviously. LOL

supergran
09-10-2007, 09:11 PM
A repair shop IS a computer shop.
I'm a repair shop. I still sell/build new PCs.

As for the Compaq, lucky you, you got components that didn't have a problem.

But its pot luck whether or not you get good components in them, maybe you will, maybe you won't.
You're still better off getting a custom system.

You might not be so lucky next time.

Sorry, I didn't realise all computer repair shops also built computers. Guess that makes me a bit thick, but I hadn't really thought about it. I am lucky, I haven't had to go into many of them. LOL As for the Compaq, the way I looked at it, was with a 3 yr warranty, for what I paid for it, I couldn't really loose. And yes I was lucky with it being a supermarket computer, but my dd's bought HPs over 6 years ago, and they are only just starting to have hassles. Ok, they are slow, but they are still going. LOL

Thanks for that other link as well Tideman.

DeSade
10-10-2007, 08:06 AM
I recommend Nick from CBC Custom Built Computers on Fitzgerald Ave (big yellow place where Mr Pickwicks used to be)

I get a lot of parts and he does my building when I can't be bothered doing it myself, upgraded my desktop and built a laptop for me, couldn't be happier with either job and his pricing is fair.

pctek
10-10-2007, 09:18 AM
nd yes I was lucky with it being a supermarket computer, but my dd's bought HPs over 6 years ago, and they are only just starting to have hassles. Ok, they are slow, but they are still going. LOL

Sigh.

Whats IN it?
A lot of the older HPs and ASUS boards and Seagate HDDs. Thats why they still go.
Now they don't.

But ok, I'll stop banging my head against the brick wall now.

supergran
10-10-2007, 06:40 PM
You don't need to bang your head, I know they have a shocking rep, but as I said, I was lucky, but thought I would rather go back to getting one built, so I know where it come from. LOL Thanks.

george12
10-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I've used TasTech (http://www.tastech.co.nz/) for several years and always had a good deal. The guy Grant is a bit uncommunicative (like all computer people I've met, he's a bit socially challenged, and he talks in a series of grunts ;) ), but he seems to know his business and he doesn't use enough words to bull**** you. Doesn't much like you taking stuff back - he takes it as a personal insult - but eventually he'll replace it if it's faulty. Good website, too.

No offense, but your post makes him sound like a terrible person to deal with. Communication and returns are two MAJOR things that define 'service'.....

A good deal can be found without dealing with an uncommunicative person who takes returns as an insult!

Morgenmuffel
10-10-2007, 07:00 PM
At present I have a Compaq Preserio S5020AN, running AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and yes I know, a supermarket computer, but it has been great for nearly 4 years.

I'll go a different way and say for what you want to do your existing machine should be OK
It probably just needs a Ram increase and perhaps if the machine supports it
From memory those machines came with
256Mb of ram
and onboard graphics (but they do have an AGP slot)

Personally if I was in your position i would buy a gig of ram (around $100) and probably a seperate graphics card and you won't need the flashest for what you are doing probably (around $80)

DeSade
11-10-2007, 07:26 AM
No offense, but your post makes him sound like a terrible person to deal with. Communication and returns are two MAJOR things that define 'service'.....

A good deal can be found without dealing with an uncommunicative person who takes returns as an insult!

I have to agree, I tend to go past his listings in pricespy even though he is usually one of the cheapest local vendors.

supergran
11-10-2007, 02:03 PM
I'll go a different way and say for what you want to do your existing machine should be OK
It probably just needs a Ram increase and perhaps if the machine supports it
From memory those machines came with
256Mb of ram
and onboard graphics (but they do have an AGP slot)

Personally if I was in your position i would buy a gig of ram (around $100) and probably a seperate graphics card and you won't need the flashest for what you are doing probably (around $80)

I agree 256 ram wasn't ideal, so updated last year to 512 with pretty horrendous consequences, like having to reformat, all because the wrong ram was installed, not once, but three times, and as stupid as it sounds, every time it come back from the shop, and little bit more of XP would disappear. No, no virus, spyware, nothing changed (by me) except ram by a tech. And it completely locked up within about 10 minutes of turning it on.

So I haven't been game enough to go for more ram, especially when I rung and found out what compaq charges for ram! I thought I might have more of the same sort of hassles if some one else try to put more ram in it and I know compaq stuff is expensive. It was going to cost me nearly $300 for 1 gig of ram.

As for video card, I have a Maya R9000 Pro Radeon 9000 Pro sitting in a dead computer, (power supply I was told) but wouldn't have the foggiest how to install it. I don't open the tower. LOL

wainuitech
11-10-2007, 02:19 PM
So I haven't been game enough to go for more ram, especially when I rung and found out what compaq charges for ram! I thought I might have more of the same sort of hassles if some one else try to put more ram in it and I know compaq stuff is expensive. It was going to cost me nearly $300 for 1 gig of ram.

you dont have to use Compaq RAM - as its WAY over priced, you just have to know what make of RAM to use.

Kingmax or Corsair Value Usually work with Corsair being around $100 - $120 for a Gig

pctek
11-10-2007, 03:56 PM
updated last year to 512 with pretty horrendous consequences, like having to reformat, all because the wrong ram was installed, not once, but three times, and as stupid as it sounds, every time it come back from the shop, and little bit more of XP would disappear.

especially when I rung and found out what compaq charges for ram!

Um. What kind of half-wit was he?

And wrong RAM shouldn't ause the disappearance of files anyway.

And as has been said you don't need "Compaq" RAM. They don't make it anyway, they just rebadge other peoples.