PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a wireless lap-top connection.

bigmit37
08-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Hey guys,

I have comcast cable internet at my place. At first my brother's laptop was directly connected to the cable modem, but now I brought my desktop and have connected that directly to the cable modem.

I am now trying to get his laptop a wireless connection. I figured that since we already have a cable connection he could pick it up through the wireless card that's built into his laptop.

I check for wireless connections on his laptop and I connect to a "free public wifi connection". I have no idea if this is our internet connection. But I have "Excellent connection" and 11 mbps.

The weird thing is, when I click on internet explorer (my brother doesn't let me install firefox), it seems as if the program doesn't work. I don't get the usual page when a web browser isn't working.

"Windows is unable to connect...."

I don't get this message. In fact nothing happens, when I write a website in the adress bar and click on go. The page remains completely white. My computer isn't frozen. Because I can open and close this program or any other programs.

How can I fix this? And what is going on?

Thank you

gcarmich
08-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Sounds like your connecting to someone elses wireless network, a big no no.

I'd suggest you start looking at wireless broadband routers, that way you get wired connections, a wireless AP and a hardware firewall between you and the internet.

beeswax34
08-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Ok, so you're obviously in the USA with Comcast. I dint read anywhere that you have a wireless router, simply a cable connection. THIS WILL NOT BE ENOUGH FOR A WIRELESS CONNECTION. You will need to get a wireless router suck as a Linksys or one with a modem inbuilt.

Until then, you can connect to the free wi-fi network because it has obviously been set up for anyone to use.

Renmoo
09-10-2007, 07:10 AM
You will need to get a wireless router suck as a Linksys or one with a modem inbuilt.
Hope that was a typo error. :p

Bigmit: You need to have the following setup applied:

Cable Modem - Wireless Router - Laptop Wirelessly
|
Desktop PC

beeswax34
09-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Hope that was a typo error. :p

Bigmit: You need to have the following setup applied:

Cable Modem - Wireless Router - Laptop Wirelessly
|
Desktop PC

Ah ha, it was too :lol: I love Linksys routers. Highly recommended.

Pete O'Neil
09-10-2007, 02:54 PM
The Linksys WRT54G would be perfect in such a situation :) especially if you can source an older one that will run DD-WRT or OpenWRT, otherwise get the WRT54GL which still supports the open source firmware.

beeswax34
09-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Though the way I look at it is, if you have a free wi-fi connection albeit not very secure, do you need to spend money to set all this up? If you do want to network between computers, just use a cross-over cable.