PDA

View Full Version : Exchange server qestions

chiefnz
08-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi guys,

Is it possible to have 4 companies on 1 MS Exchange Server but with different mail settings?

Email is via SMTP/POP. Will it be possible to set up 4 different mail profiles for each individual company or will they each require their own Exchange Server?

Thus, when you set up the email in exchange server it would look something like

company 1 = smtp1.blah blah blah
company 1 = pop1.blah blah blah

company 2 = smtp2.blah blah blah
company 2 = pop2.blah blah blah

company 3 = smtp3.blah blah blah
company 3 = pop3.blah blah blah

company 4 = smtp4.blah blah blah
company 4 = pop4.blah blah blah

OR

Would it just be best to set up each user account in MS Outlook.

The staffing levels are 8, 6, 4 and 4.

All 4 companies will be running off 1 MS Server 2003 install, workstations will most likely be HP's running XP Pro. Looking at about 1TB of storage on the server plus a rack mounted RAID file storage array as a back-up .

gcarmich
08-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Exchange can handle multiple dns/email domains without a problem. But why use exchange for just pop and smtp when there are cheaper and better solutions. Look at www.smeserver.org

Exchange is great if you want to use the calendering features or want it fully integrated into a Windows Domain but other than that its just a pain.

chiefnz
08-10-2007, 02:05 PM
There will be a domain... but the email won't be coming through that. Each business has it's on email set up already via different ISP's I just want to know if Exchange Server could be set up to handle 4 different email providers.

And yes the calendering option is why I've chosen Exchange server as it is a requested deliverable for the upgrade.

Thanks

CYaBro
08-10-2007, 02:06 PM
I agree with gcarmich.
Exchange can be a real pain sometimes.

I have used this (http://www.capesoft.co.za/utilities/EmailServer/EmailServer.htm) at a number of client sites and it works very well and is easy to use.
Cheap as well and can handle multiple domains.
Doesn't do shared calendars, task etc though.

gcarmich
08-10-2007, 03:11 PM
So are you saying the email needs to be picked up from current pop accounts ?

Correct way to do it is have the email delivered from the multiple domains direct to the exchange server using mx records.

chiefnz
08-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice guys.

Cheers