PDA

View Full Version : Laptop HDD in Desktop

dougpw
08-10-2007, 08:54 AM
I am trying to access a failed Toshiba Tecra HDD using my dsektop, hopefully to get photo's off of it. It's a PATA drive and I am using a 2.5" to 3.5" cable adaptor connecting to the PC's IDE secondry channel.

The pc wont boot with with this HDD connected ,

Any ideas on how to access the laptop HDD would be great.

Speedy Gonzales
08-10-2007, 08:58 AM
I take it, u connected the power to it too?

Does the BIOS detect it?

It may have changed the bootdisk in the BIOS, to the laptop hdd, AFTER you connected it. (which would explain, why it doesnt boot, when its connected).

Connect it again, and check that the desktop hdd is the bootdisk in the BIOS.

And see if the laptop hdd appears in the BIOS, in the IDE screen.

pctek
08-10-2007, 09:11 AM
The HDD will be Master. Make sure the cabling reflects that.

dougpw
08-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the quick reply fellas.

Yes , power is connected (heh heh) and the bios detects it.

Would I be right in thinking that the pata drive is master and cannot be changed (no jumpers) so it is going to conflict with the PC's HDD no matter how it is connected to the IDE ??

Myth
08-10-2007, 09:05 PM
I had something similar to this problem just a few weeks ago. Had desktop harddrive hooked up as master, the laptop harddrive connected as slave (using the 2.5 > 3.2 adapter). The computer wouldn't boot. I tried to turn the adapter around 180 degrees but the cable wouldn't connect (one hole of the pata slave connection was filled in). So I drilled that covered hole out (on the pata cable slave connection) so I could turn the adapter 180 degrees and plug it in. Worked a charm :thumbs:

dougpw
08-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Radical Dude !! I'll get out my hammer drill :badpc:

Myth
08-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Should I be concerned at this new development :p

You do know what I mean... this connection here (http://reference.techpowerup.com/wiki/images/thumb/1/19/Pata_connector_udma_host.jpg/200px-Pata_connector_udma_host.jpg)
Note how one hole is plugged/blocked (ok, this is a master connection, but the slave looks the same, just in the middle of the cable). All I did was get a small screwdriver and twist it to get rid of the plug blocking that hole. Then I plugged the 2.5 > 3.5 adapter in and ensured the power was connected correctly

dougpw
09-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Is OK ,, kidding about the hammer drill ! :) :)

Didnt need to go drillin anyway. I had an older ribbon cable that didnt have the hole covered.

I am making some progress, am able to get windows to boot from the PC's HDD but it freezes after the initial windows screen.

Have tried it every which way but there must still be some conflict there I guess

Will keep tryin

thanks for your suggestions :) :)