PDA

View Full Version : Vista Business & WMP

bk T
07-10-2007, 08:20 PM
This Dell Inspiron 6400 came with Vista Business. everything seems to be running OK other than the windows Media Player cannot playback DVD with the following error:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer"

Have installed all the necessary drivers and updated Windows to the latest updates.

I thought it's only Vista Home has this problem?

wainuitech
07-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Copied from several places -

Unfortunately Vista Business and Vista Enterprise editions do not include DVD decoders and cannot play DVDs (although Vista Ultimate does, and can play DVDs).

Download VLC Media Player (http://www.videolan.org/) it works fine on Vista, and should play your DVD's OK. Best of all its FREE!:thumbs:

bk T
07-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Copied from several places -

Unfortunately Vista Business and Vista Enterprise editions do not include DVD decoders and cannot play DVDs (although Vista Ultimate does, and can play DVDs).

Download VLC Media Player (http://www.videolan.org/) it works fine on Vista, and should play your DVD's OK. Best of all its FREE!:thumbs:

Thanks Wainuitech for the confirmation. I'll use PowerDVD

beeswax34
07-10-2007, 09:42 PM
You're kidding:eek:? Vista Business can't play DVD's??? Damn!

bk T
07-10-2007, 10:55 PM
You're kidding:eek:? Vista Business can't play DVD's??? Damn!

It can't; unless I missed out something.

wainuitech
08-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Found those comments many times in google saying Vista Business wont play DVD's, but it will if you add in the codecs or third party DVD player.

Remembering that Vista Business is meant to be for Business useage, and the boss prob wouldn't be to happy if you were sitting there and watching DVD's when you meant to be working.;) :lol: Unless its part of your job of course.:D

Thats also why the games are not shown as default either - but they are there.

Speedy Gonzales
08-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Most versions of WMP, need codecs.

Doesnt matter what version of Windows you've got. (besides some versions of Vista, as already said).

Altho, I wouldnt bother with WMP.

I'll rather use a normal DVD player or DVD X player.

bk T
08-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I've installed PowerDVD and it works great! Also, notice that Dell came with "Media Direct" feature which can play DVD as well but it's not as good as PowerDVD, as far as I'm concerned.

Now, everytime when I insert a DVD, this Media Direct launches, but I don't want it to play my DVD, I want my PowerDVD to playback. I have to shut it down manually and open my PowerDVD to play it. How do I make PowerDVD to be my default DVD player?

Speedy Gonzales
08-10-2007, 09:26 AM
If Vista's like XP open my computer or whatever its called in Vista

Tools / folder options / file types. Look for the extension, then change it to powerdvd here.

And uninstall Media Direct, if you dont want to use it.

wainuitech
08-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Same sort of thing - Hold down the Shift key when you put in the DVD ( should stop it playing) open Computer ( My Computer) right click the DVD, select "Open Autoplay" then "Set Autoplay Defaults" Locate the DVD drive Example Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DVD.JPG) then select your player, click save.

bk T
08-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys, got it sorted out. :)