PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive opens and closes and opens and closes and...

sjaxso
07-10-2007, 04:43 PM
it just doesn't stop!

I've just built a new machine, loaded Vista - all good - and suddenly the DVD drive starts opening and closing continuously.

It happens as soon as you power on - at the POST test. It's driving me insane. I've tried disabling it in the BIOS, but it still does it. Vista recognises it, but won't read any discs, even if you do manage to slip one in there in the half-second it is open.

It's an ASUS Quiettrack DVD rewriter, ASUS P5GC-MX motherboard.
Any ideas before I pitch the freaking thing out of the window?

I know the DVD Rewriter is fine - tried it in another machine and it behaves.

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2007, 04:58 PM
What else is on the same ide connection as this burner?

Anything else? Or is it by itself?

sjaxso
07-10-2007, 05:06 PM
It's on its own on the IDE, there are two HDD's but they're SATA.

It got worse: Vista now won't boot - even in safe mode - if the burner is connected. Pull the power from it, and Vista is totally happy.

It's bizarre.

pctek
07-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Got your cable the right way around?

sjaxso
07-10-2007, 05:15 PM
i didn't think it was possible to get it wrong way around. Do you mean the IDE plug may be upside down? Or I should swap ends of the cable?

Agent_24
07-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Check your cabling? is this IDE or SATA drive?

Really strange because I had a problem similar to this with a DSE DVD player, several months after purchase. problem went like this:

1) Turn on player, everything worked fine
2) Insert DVD, start playing
3) maybe somewhere, ~1hr in, DVD playback would turn to crap, skipping, lagging, A/V out of sync, corruption of the video etc -note: DVD perfectly fine, no scratches
4) first time I eject DVD and put it back in to start playback again, thinking it was just the DVD player glitching up
5) DVD player ejects the DVD for me.
6) Load DVD again
7) DVD player ejects it again
8) steps 6/7 repeat ad infinitum

9) turn player off overnight, works fine next day, until you try to play a DVD all the way through then repeat steps 1 - 8

seriously, not lying here. This did happen, and I have absolutely NO idea why.

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Check the IDE cable going to the burner, make SURE the red line is going to pin 1 on the burner and the mobo.

And if the IDE cable has a blue connector one on end, that end gets plugged into the mobo, not the burner.

Agent_24
07-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Just to add: if your cable is old (yours probably isn't) then there is a chance it isn't keyed and you could put it in upside down

back of the drive will show you where pin 1 is, either labelled or with a small triangle-arrow. you want the red/blue/pink coloured or dotted cable to match with this

check the motherboard end also

cable should be with the blue (or connector that is further away from the other 2) in the motherboard.

If it's already in the right places, or if moving it around doesn't help, try replacing the cable altogether

also, you may need an 80-conductor cable for some reason (or a 40, if an 80 is confusing it, though you *really shouldn't* if it's a new drive)

wainuitech
07-10-2007, 05:29 PM
If the cables Ok and round the right way, make sure the power plug, either molex or sata depending on the connection on the writer is in firmly.

Could also be a dud Drive, it does happen.

If all connections are OK and you have another Drive try that as well to see if it still does it.

Agent_24
07-10-2007, 05:33 PM
more like dud motherboard, since the drive works in another PC apparently.

try a new drive and see if it does the same thing, maybe your mobo is screwed.

sjaxso
07-10-2007, 05:34 PM
SOLVED!

I had the blue end of the cable in the drive. Switched it, no more problem.

Aw man, I'm so embarrassed. I had no idea an IDE cable could run in the wrong direction. I must have just been lucky with the other 400 of them I've connected up in the past.

Thanks guys, I was at the end of my tether. All happy now. You rock.

wainuitech
07-10-2007, 05:35 PM
more like dud motherboard, since the drive works in another PC apparently.

try a new drive and see if it does the same thing, maybe your mobo is screwed.

OOPS!:blush: Didn't read the last line / on original post.

Agent_24
07-10-2007, 05:41 PM
OOPS!:blush: Didn't read the last line / on original post.

Heh. I've posted things dumber than that!

(remember the 0.8MP DSE videocamera?)

I actually had no idea that plugging a cable in backwards like that would cause that problem, infact I still can't see how it would...

JUST INSANE
07-10-2007, 07:27 PM
I have to remind again don't buy asus's products they don't use proper revision and that p5gc mx is a low end mobo that has some bios and design problems

Agent_24
07-10-2007, 07:33 PM
yes because plugging in your IDE cable wrong is always caused by Asus having 'bad revision'.... :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Nothing wrong with ASUS products, theyre more reliable than anything else I've had.

Well actually I've never had anything else but ASUS hardware (besides the piece of Acer crap I brought years ago).

beeswax34
07-10-2007, 09:47 PM
I have to remind again don't buy asus's products they don't use proper revision and that p5gc mx is a low end mobo that has some bios and design problems

I'd say its not Asus' fault for stupid users/builders of systems.

sjaxso
08-10-2007, 09:49 AM
I'd say its not Asus' fault for stupid users/builders of systems.

That's harsh. Half the people here said they didn't realise an IDE cable could run in the wrong direction - I'd certainly be thinking hard before calling them stupid.

You've never plugged something in incorrectly? It must be wonderful to be so clever.

Agent_24
08-10-2007, 10:05 AM
I can see how it can be plugged in wrong, but I can't see how plugging it in wrong can make a problem, as far as I know the cable is just 40/80 conductors running straight through and terminating at 3 places, apart from the missing conductor on CS cables, in which case that may have actually been the cause of this problem.

Floppy different, they've got that twist for the first drive

and SATA doesn't matter which way around it goes