PDA

View Full Version : Help with assignment!!!

chiefnz
07-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Hey all,

busy with an assignment for uni... the question is basically to provide costing to set up a new user workstation on the company network. This includes hardware, software and the cabling required to connect to the network.

I've got the pricing sorted for the workstation which includes and OS (XP Pro) and the cabling. The only other software I need is Office 2003... now I'm not too sure how the Office suite is installed. I'm pretty sure that it is per station, we're progressively moving aware from Remote Desktop connections to the main server as it is proving expensive and is increasingly taxing the networks performance. I suppose I could just quote a price for an Office 2003 install but for the sake of completeness I would like to include a price for an additional CAL for the Office install... assuming of course that is how it's done.

I have to say that Googling for "MS Office 2003 CAL" didn't show Office as one of the packages where you can actually buy additional licences.. or have I got that wrong.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

winmacguy
07-10-2007, 04:00 PM
In your assignment, are the answers solely dependent on the Windows platform and software licensing?
I only ask because you mention MS Office 2003 which incidently comes as individual or volume licensing - check with http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Is this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828377) what you were after?

somebody
07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't think they're called CALs, but you can just buy additional licences if you have some sort of Volume or Bulk Licencing arrangement with Microsoft. If not, you just have to buy an extra copy.

SurferJoe46
07-10-2007, 04:16 PM
OpenOffice has a special permission/license for establishments of higher education, and you can put it on everything you've got.

It will also network, as I have it running that way as a server<00> & slaves <0>, <1>, <2>.

This is on Windows XP <00>, 98SE+ <0>, XP <1>, XP <2>

I'm right now working on networking it with PCLinuxOS on that other unit.

OO will accomplish what you likely need and do it for free.

chiefnz
07-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys, I've decided to go with purchasing an individual copy. MS website is just too tedious just to get a price off them.

Thanks for your help again.

Cheers

winmacguy
07-10-2007, 06:00 PM
OpenOffice has a special permission/license for establishments of higher education, and you can put it on everything you've got.

It will also network, as I have it running that way as a server<00> & slaves <0>, <1>, <2>.

This is on Windows XP <00>, 98SE+ <0>, XP <1>, XP <2>

I'm right now working on networking it with PCLinuxOS on that other unit.

OO will accomplish what you likely need and do it for free.

OS X also has a much cheaper licensing setup than MS and with the help of VMWAre you can actually use all of the stuff mentioned above to do it way cheaper than using MS licensing. Their server licensing is ridiculous.

george12
07-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys, I've decided to go with purchasing an individual copy. MS website is just too tedious just to get a price off them.

Thanks for your help again.

Cheers

Out of curiosity, what course are you doing?

chiefnz
08-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Sorry for the late reply George... I'm still busy with my assignment. I'm studying towards a diploma in Information Systems and Technology for Business.