PDA

View Full Version : Sidewinder Controller not recognised

JohnnyR
07-10-2007, 12:56 PM
I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick that works fine on Windows 98.

I've tried to install it on my latest machine running XP but I get a message saying that it can't be installed on my present system.

Any ideas?

Thanks

JR

Sherman
07-10-2007, 01:54 PM
When we moved to windows XP a few years ago, I had the same problem with my precision pro.
Basically, the Sidewinder Precision Pro will not work under WinXP if you connect it via the gameport. (as you have found out...)
However the Precision Pro (at least mine did) comes with a gameport > USB adapter. If you use that and plug your joystick into the USB port, it works perfectly, although you cannot install the sidewinder software.
Just plug it in (via USB) and windows XP will do the rest.

JohnnyR
09-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks Sherman.

I tried this last night using an old Star wars game (Rogue Squadron) but it didn't work. XP wouldn't recognise it.

regards

JR

Sherman
09-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Using USB?

I repeat, Windows XP will NOT recognize the controller if it is plugged into the gameport.
Also, older games may not recognize it (although hopefully they do).

JohnnyR
09-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Yep, using a USB connection into the front of the computer. I'll try some other games tonight.
JR

Grimy
09-10-2007, 06:46 PM
My Sidewinder Precision Pro also worked fine with XP using the USB adapter that came with it. Used with MS Flight Simulator.

Sherman
09-10-2007, 07:38 PM
My Sidewinder Precision Pro also worked fine with XP using the USB adapter that came with it. Used with MS Flight Simulator.

Same here.
You have to give some credit to MS. They didn't make half bad controllers really. Feature wise, the Precision Pro can still compete with the joystick of today, with all the axis needed (x,y,z or r), throttle slider and 8-way hat. It also had a good number of buttons.
Mine also works perfectly without a glitch, and I still use it. (I've had it for years and years). The only complaint I have is that the stick is slightly loose when centered, but considering its treatment at times...

I have found that getting older games expecting a joystick on the gameport still have problems with the "USB version" of it though.

Also, to the OP, check that the controller is recognized in Control Panel > Game controllers, and that it has been calibrated.

JohnnyR
10-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks Sherman; I found it in game controllers and calibrated it and it works fine. Appreciate your help. JR

Sherman
10-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Thats ok :)
Just don't blame ME if you get told off from playing too much :D