PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

championguy886
07-10-2007, 07:44 AM
I have an unusual question, but here it is: I have a Sony digital camera, and a while back I took some video on it of myself doing some embarrassing things...things I don't really want other people seeing! So my question is...I still have the same memory stick I used to film that video. And I want to know if it's safe for me to continue using the memory stick and posting pictures off of it on-line. I'm just paranoid some computer/camera whiz might be able to somehow access the video, even though I deleted it long ago. Is there anyway for someone to access that video even though it's deleted? Would appreciate any advice.

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Depends on when you deleted whatever, and how many times you've used it / copied to it since.

And how big this memory stick is. And how many files were on it then and now.

Whatever you've added to the stick, since you deleted it, may have overwritten it.

BUT, it is possible to retrieve anything on any kind of media, (depending on the above), with programs on the net.

Even tho you've deleted it.

Robby
07-10-2007, 10:03 AM
gidday,

Formating the memory stick as well as deleting, will make it a tad more difficult
to retreive.

cheers

Robbie

SurferJoe46
07-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Stick the SD card (is it one of them?) into a card reader, but most any cards will respond the same way too. You can also stick the card into many scanners, printers and some towers have card slots built in too. They will all work the same way to access, erase or store other files or info too.

goto My Computer, right click,

goto MANAGE and

then to DISK MANAGEMENT and you'll likely see the card there.

Now right click on the Volume that has the name of your card, and EXPLORE to see what's there.

You can DELETE FILES, FORMAT or ERASE the card from that point.

Scouse
07-10-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm just paranoid some computer/camera whiz might be able to somehow access the video A lot depends on how much you value your reputation and how much you want to lose sleep. Based on your own comments, I would simply throw the thing in the fire.

SurferJoe46
07-10-2007, 04:19 PM
PS: If you have Spybot, you can shred the files/folders too. It's in the TOOLS area if you have the ADVANCED settings running.

The FBI and such use a 5-shred, and you can click the counter to as high as you want to go in Spybot. Five is good enough though!

Cicero
07-10-2007, 04:46 PM
If you were to download an app...........digital image recovery........

you could see if its still there,I used it because I wanted to recover that which I had accidentally deleted.

Bozo
07-10-2007, 10:53 PM
You can DELETE FILES, FORMAT or ERASE the card from that point.

[COLOR="Red" Based on your own comments, I would simply throw the thing in the fire.

Formating the memory stick as well as deleting
Sure burning the thing would make it impossible to recover, but is hardly needed.
The other two options mentioned here are useless, and would be very easy to recover the files if these methods had been used.

Download and install TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php).
Encrypt the card with 256-bit encryption. (Details on how to do this are on the readme file you will get)
After encrypting the card, reformat it and your data will be impossible to recover.