PDA

View Full Version : DVD R/W

JJJJJ
06-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Would someone reccomend a good,good GOOD, dvd read , write drive.

I've got a BTC 48R/48W/24RW. Internal IDE. It's slow and sounds like a 40 year old deisel engine.

Thanks,

george12
06-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Well I have a $37 Lite-On DVD-RW and it's great. It does everything perfectly and sounds like a DVD-RW drive.

But what to you makes a DVD-RW drive 'good good GOOD'?

R2x1
06-10-2007, 11:02 PM
The quality of the disks can have a powerful effect, some brands can be way out of balance as well as erratic in recording ability.

Myth
06-10-2007, 11:10 PM
I would second the Lite-On
I've had mine over a year, and still going strong
And yeah, CD/DVD media used is of major importance

kahawai chaser
06-10-2007, 11:46 PM
I agree with lite-on as a choice...

I think Lite-on are pretty good - I have one of the first generations - the 451S, and after 2.5 years she still runs good. But others like Pioneer and LG are up there as well...If you are brand conscious, and want in-depth reviews across these brands (e.g., reading/righting tests, lightscribe performance,etc) you might want to visit cd freaks (http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/)which has expert reviews. Lite-on and perhaps LG seems to pop up a bit...

SurferJoe46
07-10-2007, 05:47 AM
I've got a pair of Sonys, and although one burst a disc once (what a mess!), they have been flawless ever since.

chiefnz
07-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Using an Asus DVD/RW here, no problems at all. quiet as and supports DL as well as LS technology.

Agent_24
07-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I've got the Asustek DRW-1608P3S myself, works well, cheap.

There are better ones now, though.

yes, CD Freaks or CDR-Labs and similar are good places to find reviews on drives, also good to find out how good the drives are for backing up protected games, some are very very slow or fail to read the disc, especially for things like safedisc

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Yup I've got the 1608PS3 in the other PC here and the 1814BL in this.

Both do a good job. Altho, I do most of the burning on this one.

Havent tried a LS cd or DVD ram on it yet tho.

Zippity
07-10-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm using a Lite-On DVDRW SOHW 1693S and I burn onto Princo 1-8x 4.7GB Printable discs that I have purchased off local dealers onTradeMe.

I also burn onto Dual Layer discs purchased from TradeMe dealers, and have had no problems whatsoever :)

george12
07-10-2007, 12:09 PM
My advice, Jack, is to buy a Lite-on or Asus drive that has the features you want and you like. They're good brands and none of their drives are bad.

You want SATA, Lightscribe, Dual Layer, and the Lite-on drives are 20X as opposed to most which are 16X - not that it makes any real difference.

Cicero
07-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Mines Pioneer and is good too.

Agent_24
07-10-2007, 02:53 PM
The Asus DRW-1608P3S is just a rebranded Pioneer DVR-111. In fact you can even use the same firmware

JUST INSANE
07-10-2007, 07:35 PM
theses are great tips over my 300 dvd burning tests: don't buy cheap media such as princo, ritek, superzero, imation, and other brands refer to the web for tips and check if the brand has a webpage.

I used LG GWA, Liteon 18ap, Pioneer DVR-112 DBK with Verbatim DVD+R 8x on 4x speed.

remember slower speeds provide low errors which will make the laser last.

Check if Ultra DMA mode is enabled.

Cheap Media will only last about 2 years or less depending on humidity and sunlight as UV radiation degrades the plastic.

Use Verbatim Dvd +R as they were proven by tests which showed to has the very lowest errors. Buy them from noel leeming as they are authourised retailer which provide real ones and are cheap $42 for 50 printable ones

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Nothing wrong with Princo, I've used them before never had any probs with blanks, or coasters.

Never had probs with SKC or Laser either.

And who would be stupid enough to leave them in the sun anyway?

Agent_24
07-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Taiyo Yuden!

Cicero
07-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Nothing wrong with Princo, I've used them before never had any probs with blanks, or coasters.

Never had probs with SKC or Laser either.

And who would be stupid enough to leave them in the sun anyway?

I was wondering about the light thing Speedy.

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2007, 07:46 PM
The Asus DRW-1608P3S is just a rebranded Pioneer DVR-111. In fact you can even use the same firmware

Correct, and most ASUS burners can be flashed with pioneer firmware, so it supports bitsetting.

limepile
07-10-2007, 07:50 PM
After exhaustive trial and error, my wife and I have found Verbatim +R to be the most reliable and trouble free discs. Some brands never even make it to be coasters as the DVD recorder just wouldn't recognize them, and my HP Lightscribe drive seems pretty fussy too.My other drive is a Liteon, used a lot and no trouble in 2 years.

Agent_24
07-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Burning CDs, using my 2 Cyberdrive burners, usually used Mitsubishi super azo CD-R from DSE, never had a problem and they're all pretty good (and still all working)

had problems with TDK and often they got CD rot or wouldn't read after a few months for no reason

Imation seems OK (they all still work, anyway)

DVD, been using SKC, Imation, TDK, all burnt OK but dunno how long they'll hold up

JUST INSANE
07-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Most DVDs will work but they tend to have high error rates never judge just by using.

I used Princo but they were badly made and have short life.

Too many PIF errors over 1 million.
Check info about how DVD works otherwise you won't understand

JUST INSANE
07-10-2007, 08:03 PM
My most favourite brands are Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Hitachi Maxell, Mitsubishi Chemicals.

Never use TDK, Imation, Princo, Ritek and cheap media under $40 as they have too many PIF and other errors they will work but my reasons are: short laser life, poor archival life which will make you end up with wrong data in the future

JUST INSANE
07-10-2007, 08:04 PM
CMC Magnetics make media for Imation and verbatim cd-r so i would not use inferer media

JJJJJ
08-10-2007, 05:10 AM
What about Sony?

utopian201
08-10-2007, 01:53 PM
it is not the brand of the dvd that matters, it is the manufacturer.

There are only a handful of manufacturers, which make dvds for all brands.

Each dvd disc has a mediacode (for example MCC04). You can google these to see which mediacodes are the best quality. There is no way to tell at the shop which manufacturer made the dvd (that is, Verbatim is NOT the manufacturer). Once you have purchased however, you can check using a tool like nero's utilities.

However I have had good experience with Verbatim 8x dvd+r discs (which are made by mitsubish chemicals). The Verbatim 16x dvd+r discs are supposedly the best value for money (media code MCC04). They are second only to Taiyo Yuden (the quality leader), but are significantly cheaper, but only slightly lower in quality. At one point, Taiyo Yudens were even the same discs as the verbatims if i remember correclty

Benq 1800 and Pioneer 112/212 drives are quite good and high on features.

Also burning at the slowest speed does not necessarily yield the best results. Apprently the dyes on the dvd are made for a certain speed and slow burns can result in poorer burns. It goes against reasoning as slower burns mean 'sharper' pits etc, but I'm not an expert on this.

DVD+R is generally better then DVD-R too apparently, however this will depend on your burner and firmware.

Agent_24
08-10-2007, 02:00 PM
DVD+R is better than DVD-R

I've made coasters from burning cheaper 52x CD-Rs too fast - and I've never had a problem burning anything slowly, except for the extra fast 24x CD-RW that came with my CD-RW drive, my older 12x RW drive just couldn't write to it at all.

JJJJJ
08-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks for all the info. unfortunately I'm even more confused than when I started.
My current drive is described as dvd writer.

I filled two dvd's with data and it reportedl a satisfactory copy. Now a month later it takes the dvd about 5 minutes to inspect the disk and then shows them as empty. That is with Imation dvd-r 8x,
Then I bought a box of 25 Dick Smith 4x dvd -rw. So far I've tried half a dozen disks and they report unable to copy.
I've been useing Nero to copy with.

Would someone just say "buy xyz drive and use abc disks"

All I want to copy are mainly zip files and folders.

I don't realy care if disks are re-writable or not.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a spare hard disk and copying my savings to it.

Speedy Gonzales
08-10-2007, 03:30 PM
And what option did u use In Nero. Data DVD?

And did you finalise them, (if the DVD's were full)?

Or did u use the backup program in Nero?

Bantu
08-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Always check the burn speed of your CD/DVD's If you try to burn faster then they recommend you will get coasters for sure.

I use Verbatium CD & DVD's and they seem to work well and so far none of my old ones have caused any problems.

Most times I burn slower than recommended for the particular blank and providing I don't have any long file names I have no problems.

I use a Pioneer DVR-A09XLA and a Pioneer DVR111D which both work fine.

george12
08-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I buy unlablelled DVD-Rs and CD-Rs from PacknSave with the groceries and they always work flawlessly :D

They're dirt cheap too.

JJJJJ
08-10-2007, 04:07 PM
And what option did u use In Nero. Data DVD?

And did you finalise them, (if the DVD's were full)?

Or did u use the backup program in Nero?

Yes

Yes

No

wainuitech
08-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Your two DVD's that wont read or show data - didn't have them in direct sunlght did you or near a heat source.

Had several disks, different brands all fail from getting to much sun. It ruins the dye in the recording / reading levels in the disks.

Cicero
08-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Good point there,have you been sunbathing with your DVD's?

Nomad
08-10-2007, 07:33 PM
LG writer.
Verbatim DVD+R no problems.
Always close them, always use max speed, not one problem ever.
Have also used Warehouse CDs no problems.
In the past I have used HP CDR 2x speed via LPT port, that not good but the CDs I made then is still working now. Had coasters thou, if no coaters every file worked.

utopian201
09-10-2007, 09:26 AM
JJJJJ: Did you say you had a BTC drive?
BTC's are junk drives, and in some instances, can't even read discs they have written themselves, as you have discovered. The discs can still be read sometimes in other dvd drives though.

I have an NEC 4551 and use Verbatim DVD+R 8x discs, no problems.

My NEC drive is quite rare, but other good drives are Pioneer DVR112 and BenQ DW1800/1810 drives. Both of those with Verbatim DVD+R 8x/16x discs will have excellent burn quality. You can find the pioneer for less than $50, while the Benq can be found for under $70.

JJJJJ
09-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Good point there,have you been sunbathing with your DVD's?
NO! the are (were) in their jewel cases on the book shelf with all my other disks. And it certainly hasn't been hot here lately.

JJJJJ
09-10-2007, 09:49 AM
JJJJJ: Did you say you had a BTC drive?
BTC's are junk drives, and in some instances, can't even read discs they have written themselves, as you have discovered. The discs can still be read sometimes in other dvd drives though.

I've been hoping someone would tell me that.
One BTC drive heading for the rubbish bag!

Agent_24
09-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Same with the TDK CD-Rs I had that died, couldn't be read in ANY drive but I had kept them in their cases, in a closed CD cabinet

DigitalMessiah
09-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Would someone reccomend a good,good GOOD, dvd read , write drive.

I've got a BTC 48R/48W/24RW. Internal IDE. It's slow and sounds like a 40 year old deisel engine.

Thanks,

LG Super Multi

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136120

however, for older, more beat-up discs, it doesn't read off it very well, you'll need more of a CD / DVD-ROM only for it to properly read them

excellent for burning DVD's of all kinds though

JUST INSANE
12-10-2007, 08:31 PM
How do you regard as cheap $50 for 50

For me $18.90 for 50 is cheap
But I prefer to buy Verbatim DVD+R 8x 50 for $40.50 at QMB