PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card Brands??

Pourhommenz
06-10-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm a little confused. Does it actually matter what brand graphics card you buy?

I thought that at the end of the day, they are all the same boards and chips, just different bundles and packaging.

I'm looking at getting a nVidia 8800 GTX or Ultra, the Ultra is a MSI model but people are saying don't and to get a Asus or gigabyte. Are they right?

chiefnz
06-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Sometimes it does matter... there are certain brands where the complete bundle is better value for money in terms of accessories, extra cables and games included in the pack. There are a few manufacturers who load up the pack with goodies and others are a bit skint on bundled accessories.

Keep and eye on clock speeds as well, some manufacturers have their GPU's clocked slightly higher than other reference boards on the market.

The best thing to do is pick 5 possible choices and then whittle them down based on... (not necessarily in this order)

1) Price
2) goodies included in the bundled package
3) clock speeds of the memory and GPU

Take your time and make an informed decision... after all it's your hard earned dosh you're spending and you don't really want to buy a lemon.

Cheers

PS: stay away from card which end in SE etc. they tend to be crap in my experience

pctek
06-10-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm a little confused. Does it actually matter what brand graphics card you buy?

I thought that at the end of the day, they are all the same boards and chips, just different bundles and packaging.

I'm looking at getting a nVidia 8800 GTX or Ultra, the Ultra is a MSI model but people are saying don't and to get a Asus or gigabyte. Are they right?

The most importnat consideration is quality and warranty.

Gigabye and ASUS both have a 3 yr warranty.

I had an MSI once, it had far too much paste applied and lived only 11 months.
Rubbish.

The GPU may be the same but all the other bits are different.

Deane F
06-10-2007, 10:15 PM
I got an Albatron 8800GTX - and I got that brand....because it was in stock. 8800GTXs are being bought as fast as they're being manufactured by the sounds.

Happily, it had the lowest price - but had absolutely nothing bundled with it. Just the card and the attendant cables, CD etc.

The 8800GTX-Ultra is just an overclocked GTX. Same GPU, RAM and architecture - and an extra $300 - $400 or so.

The damned thing is nearly a foot long too. I can barely squeeze it into my CoolerMaster Mystique 632 case (not a small case at all) - it has about 4mm clearance from the HDD bay - so you might want to take that into account.

pctek
07-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I got an Albatron 8800GTX

:yuck:

altrounson
07-10-2007, 04:34 PM
i havew the asus nvidea 8800GTX and from my personal experance i have had no problem what so eva with any parts from asus they are very reliable in all acpects and the 8800GTX comes with 2 games ghost recon advanced warfighter and gti racing plus lots of softwhere my pc has an asus motherboard GPU and cd drive and they all work great

Agent_24
07-10-2007, 05:36 PM
They do use the same GPU core from Nvidia or ATi, but the board, design, cooling and other component quality will depend on the brand.

A better brand will:

A) be less likely to break
B) give you a longer/better warranty even if it does

Some cards even have warranties that carry through even when you OC or put on custom coolers

as for cards marked 'SE' - stands for Software Enhanced, or so I hear. I think it's obvious then why they are evil.

trinsic
07-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I got a Palit 8600GTS. Only because I knew Palit didn't place over-voltage protection and used a non-reference PCB. Which was good for overclocking to 1000mhz from 675mhz core :D!

Only 1 year warranty though.

JUST INSANE
07-10-2007, 07:21 PM
This has been proved never buy brands such as asus, gigabyte, msi.
But buy BFG, XFX, EVGA as these most have factory overclocked and are certified by nvidia.
My Friend used to have a Asus and the copper heatsink simply falled off after a while

Deane F
07-10-2007, 10:10 PM
:yuck:

Yeah well, I used to swear by Asus - but then I had some problems with Asus gear and so did a friend. Same with Gigabyte.

I gave a low-end computer I had to a friend a few years ago that is based on an Albatron motherboard. Still going strong after four years or more.

What's your experience with Albatron, pctek?

Pete O'Neil
08-10-2007, 09:46 AM
This has been proved never buy brands such as asus, gigabyte, msi.
But buy BFG, XFX, EVGA as these most have factory overclocked and are certified by nvidia.
My Friend used to have a Asus and the copper heatsink simply falled off after a while
You got any proof to backup your claims? Nothing wrong with ASUS and Gigabyte cards!

steveroby
08-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Rumour is that most brands are made by in the same factories
ie they are just rebranded with perhaps a different bios & fan

Of course some Brands do make there own cards

Do any cards come with 3 year warranties still??
They would be the one to go for

I'd 2nd the Palit brand. I had a 7600GT, it looked cheap(WAS CHEAP) but the fan was the quietest I never heard, & it cooled very well. Didnt need the Zalman
fan I bought at the same time.
Leadtek are good, but pricey.

Agent_24
08-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Rumour is that most brands are made by in the same factories
ie they are just rebranded with perhaps a different bios & fan

Of course some Brands do make there own cards

They would be the one to go for

I'd 2nd the Palit brand. I had a 7600GT, it looked cheap(WAS CHEAP) but the fan was the quietest I never heard, & it cooled very well. Didnt need the Zalman
fan I bought at the same time.
Leadtek are good, but pricey.

The fact that a lot of people use the nvidia reference design, means they'd all look the same with different logos, doesn't mean they all come out the same machine but then I wouldn't be surprised they did either.

pctek
08-10-2007, 11:11 AM

Gigabyte and ASUS.

Agent_24
08-10-2007, 11:17 AM
That's why I sold the Inno3D 7600GT about a week after purchase and got myself a Gigabyte 8600GT - that and the 8600GT has a massive heatsink and no fans :D

Pourhommenz
08-10-2007, 01:03 PM
The fact that a lot of people use the nvidia reference design, means they'd all look the same with different logos, doesn't mean they all come out the same machine but then I wouldn't be surprised they did either.

See that's what I was told too, about them coming out of the same factor. Like I know Asus actually make Toshibas laptops, Apple laptops, iPod and Sony's Vivo.

Well this hasn't helped much lol ... is it a fairly safe beat to go with Asus?

pctek
08-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Like I know Asus actually make Toshibas laptops, Apple laptops, iPod and Sony's Vivo.

ASUS also produces components for other corporations, including Sony (PlayStation 2), Apple Computer (iPod, iPod Shuffle, MacBook), Alienware, Falcon Northwest, HP and Compaq.

Which is not the same as making the entire thing.

Agent_24
08-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Personally I regard Asus as pretty good, and even if it does blow up you've got a good warranty