PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Tell If It's Installed?

SurferJoe46
06-10-2007, 04:59 PM
I finally got a good .iso copy of PCLinux after making almost a full dozen silver colored coasters. Sorry that it took me so long to see the light.

That was strange, but the best tool was ISO-Buster...it worked a champ.

Anyway...now that I have it running on the puter, I have (I think anyway) installed it..but the icon for Install PCLinuxOS is still on the desktop.

In all the other distros I tried before, that icon disappeared when it went to hdd install...but not this time.

Is it really installed or not? :illogical

Is there some sort of process running detector like CTRL-ALT-DEL?

I really don't want to reboot without the cd in the drive if I am gonna risk losing all the setups I have made so far.

I still see the cd-drive light is blinking a lot when I ask for some setups and changes..is it safe yet to remove the cd and reboot?

This distro is good looking and seems to be very intuitive..but for that one problem.

BTW: I had to put my Verizon.net account into the setup windows..why?

Will this be able to dumb down to dial up later when it doesn't detect the DSL modem?

Sherman
06-10-2007, 05:12 PM
It's ok SJ, PCLinuxOS allows you to keep on working in the LiveCD environment after you've installed it. It WILL be there when you boot (without the CD in of course). There was probably a message when it finished installing saying when you're ready, reboot without the CD in the drive to use your new installation.

Is your DSL modem Ethernet or USB based?

Does your internet provider use PPPoE or PPPoA for authentication?

If your modem is ethernet, and your provider uses PPPoA, then shouldn't have any issues with DSL, and it shouldn't need any account details.
If your modem is ethernet, and your provider uses PPPoE, then you will probably have to enter your login setting when you want to use the internet.
If your modem is USB, then you could have some real problems....

PS:, I've logged into CF1 if you want to ask more questions and get some quick answers... (as much as I can help anyway)

SurferJoe46
06-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks Sherman..it's ALIVE!!!! My monster LIVES!

Sherman
06-10-2007, 06:40 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: