PDA

View Full Version : No Dial Tone - DSL

xpcoe
06-10-2007, 01:51 PM
I have 2 jackpoints and DSL was connected today at exchange.

Got home and now there is no dial tone on the phone line. I pick up the phone and its complete silence.

Is this a fault or will i get the dial tone after i have put filters on?? I thought without filters you would still hear at least something (noise) when you pick up the phone but its dead silence

Speedy Gonzales
06-10-2007, 02:00 PM
I think you're meant to connect the filters, BEFORE you connect the phone/s.

bevy121
06-10-2007, 02:05 PM
you should still have a dial tone with or without filters... I think there's something wrong there, I'd get in touch with whoever your landline is with soon as you can - ring them from a neighbour maybe?

xpcoe
06-10-2007, 02:48 PM
thanks bevy,

thats what i was thinking that i should be bale to hear something even though filter needs to be put on the jack before plugging in the phone

Ideally what should i hear without filters when i pick up the phone? - some kind of noise?

bevy121
06-10-2007, 03:29 PM
As I say, you should have a dial tone whether you have it thru a filter or not - at least mine does, so I presume yours would too :)

pctek
06-10-2007, 03:43 PM
I think you're meant to connect the filters, BEFORE you connect the phone/s.

The phone works without one - try it.
Its just noisy.

This is a screwup at the exchange end.

xpcoe
06-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah looks like a screwup at exchange!

Have a different phone provider and DSL thru diff provider.

DSL provider went and activated it today and when i call them, they say its all done and to call my phone company and when i call them they say its my dsl provider who have changed my line from a voice line to a data line meaning i cant get voice now..Huh! :groan:

So after caling back and forth few times, the phone provider is going to exchange tomorrow to see whats happening!!!

It is sometimes better to have evrything thru 1 provider. It just saves lot of agony i tell you! especially when one mucks up something and u become a ping pong ball!!

Trev
06-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Are you from New Zealand xpcoe as we only have one land line phone provider here and that is Telecom. Although you may be billed by someone else you are still useing the Telecom network. The people who are billing you still use Telecoms contracters to fix any fault. Of cause I stand to be corrected on this.
:)

robbyp
06-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Are you from New Zealand xpcoe as we only have one land line phone provider here and that is Telecom. Although you may be billed by someone else you are still useing the Telecom network. The people who are billing you still use Telecoms contracters to fix any fault. Of cause I stand to be corrected on this.

It depends on wher you live, as you can have two landline providers. In Wellington you can have both a telstra and a telecom line in

xpcoe
07-10-2007, 04:08 AM

Trev - Yeah i am not in NZ. I have Qwest as my phone line provider and AT&T as DSL provider.

When i left NZ recently i thought Telecom vs Telstra/IHUG/Orcon broadband crap would be no more but even here in states they screw you up and dont care much if you have diff service providers.